• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Help finish this book, get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

There's this story I wrote 14 years ago, at the age of 16, and now I want someone to help me clean it up for publishing. The person will get paid.

If you are 30 now & wrote this when you were 16, why not re-write it yourself? I'm guessing it's going to take nearly a full rewrite. Anything I wrote at 16 would, and I was winning writing competitions when I was 16. Pbbt! Rewrite the thing. If you're interested in being published you'll have to learn to rewrite & revise your own work. If you never intend to write again & just want to one-off this piece ... then I would be a little dubious that this is actually yours.

wee

LeeFlower

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalee.dreamwidth.com
Thanks, but I've got plenty of stories I wrote when I was sixteen to finish/clean up.

Best of luck to you cleaning that one up, though. But word to the wise: the kind of person who will take you up on this is probably not the kind of person you want to be in business with. Just sayin'.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I agree, why not rewrite it yourself? If you want to be published, work towards it using your own abilities. Not only will it save you a chunk of change, but it'll give you more glory, self-satisfaction, and you won't have to worry about whoever rewrote it nagging you about publishing rights (if they wanted their name on the book or something). Go forth and write!

Last edited:

findlaw

If you are 30 now & wrote this when you were 16, why not re-write it yourself? I'm guessing it's going to take nearly a full rewrite. Anything I wrote at 16 would, and I was winning writing competitions when I was 16. Pbbt! Rewrite the thing. If you're interested in being published you'll have to learn to rewrite & revise your own work. If you never intend to write again & just want to one-off this piece ... then I would be a little dubious that this is actually yours.
I'm still writing. You can visit my writing site at http://lurrenzinc.com/lawrence

WEE it's always good to think before you comment on issue if you're not offering any services, at least that's how matured people behave. You just don't say anything just for the fun of it. You could've asked me why I want someone else to finish it or clean it up.

I hope you're really a writer as you claim.

findlaw

Thanks TsukiRyoko for good advice but my problem is time. I'm a full time musician http://myspace.com/lurrenz1 and I run an NGO called Children Africa, and still do part-time writing. I've done a bit to clean up the story though but it takes months to get a few hours for it.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm still writing. You can visit my writing site at http://lurrenzinc.com/lawrence

WEE it's always good to think before you comment on issue if you're not offering any services, at least that's how matured people behave. You just don't say anything just for the fun of it. You could've asked me why I want someone else to finish it or clean it up.

I hope you're really a writer as you claim.

Actually, a lot of people here say things just for the fun of it. I recommend you get to know the culture of our boards a bit better. That said, this is in the wrong forum, I'm moving it.

jedimaster107

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there's poeple out there that have a busier schedule then yours and still have time to rewrite their work.

if it takes a little longer to rewrite it, so what. It took me about 8 years to rewrite my WIP.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Thanks TsukiRyoko for good advice but my problem is time. I'm a full time musician http://myspace.com/lurrenz1 and I run an NGO called Children Africa, and still do part-time writing. I've done a bit to clean up the story though but it takes months to get a few hours for it.
Make time for it. Wake up a half hour early, go to sleep a half hour later. Sit down for a cup of tea in the morning and pump out a few paragraphs. I know how unforgiving a busy life can be, but a passionate writer can always, always find time to write.

I can understand asking someone to revise, look over, or co-write your book, but asking for someone to completely rewrite something you wrote so many years ago seems a little shady. If you want someone to help with editting and revising, try the Share Your Work forum, or try asking a member on the boards for some help (you can get an example of many of the members' work just by scanning the boards, and I'm sure you'll be able to find someone whose style you like or relate to).

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hmm, I rather enjoy ghostwriting especially if I have a more free hand with it where I don't have to account for every changed word, but it would depend on the genre of the story and whether it already has a complete plot; I am pretty good at tightening up structure and improving character development and word choice and sentence structure, but not at filling in missing pieces of plot. If you pm me a link to the story I'll look at it and quote you a price if I feel able to do a good job on it.

Shades of Humanity

Registered
Reaction score
If you pm me a link to the story I'll look at it and quote you a price if I feel able to do a good job on it.

You'll probably get a fake money order along with a notarized letter from Dr. Umbelloh who has $252,000US tied up in a bank account and needs your kind help.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest giving the page price you were considering paying.

I would also suggest going to a book doctor service online so you know the person your are hiring is reliable and qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.