Favorite book as a kid?

Puddle Jumper

What was your absolute favorite book when you were a kid?

Mine was "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeline L'Engle. I was so excited about this book that when I went to write my book report for my teacher, I made a special decorated booklet for it out of construction paper and paid money to the librarian to laminate it.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I liked that one as well and read it to my children when they were younger. It's been so long since I was a kid I confess to not remembering what my favorite book was but I do remember the book that started a life long love of science fiction in 2nd grade, Silverberg's Lost Race of Mars from Scholastic Books.

Last edited:

SJB

Lhude sing cuccu!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peregrinaaustralis.blogspot.com
Ah, nostalgia...

Cool topic! :)

When I was a toddler, it was any of the Little Golden Books- especially "Three Little Kittens" and "The Pokey Little Puppy."

Then Enid Blyton's "The Magic Faraway Tree" and Rudyard Kipling's "Puck of Pook's Hill" were my favourites once I was a big girl of 6 or 7.

Don't read any Blyton anymore, but Rudyard Kipling remains my author of choice!

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a younger child I loved The Little Golden Books. As I got older I enjoyed anything by Judy Blume or Beverly Cleary. Funny as now my oldest daughter is 11 and sometimes I will read her books by Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary just to relive some of my childhood. As for my youngest she is not quite 2 and I get to read the little Golden Books all over again. It is so much fun.

Anne

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Half Magic, Edgar Eager

and there was another one, with a bunch of kids at their grandparents' farm, and they find a treasure map, and have to follow clues...but I don't for the life of me remember the title.

*sigh*

Must have read that book ten times

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, what a wonderful thread :)

"Little Women", by Louisa May Alcott, holds a special place in my heart, since my mom read it to me, while I was recovering from eye surgery, when I was nine.

I also vividly remember discovering that there were more books in the "Wizard of Oz" series, when I found "The Land of Oz", in Shorey's Books, in Seattle, when I was 11 or 12.

Mary Grannan's books, including the "Just Mary Stories" and the "Maggie Muggins" series hold very fond memories. In fact, one of my very dearest friends even calls me Maggie Muggins :)

Of course, there was also "Anne of Green Gables" and the sequels, as well as Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and all of Enid Blyton's work.

Dad was a writer, and Mom was a teacher, so the house was filled with books. Now my problem is finding space for more bookcases, because I'm running out of room :)

Chacounne

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Undoubtedly "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis. I could still pick that book today and wouldn't be seen outside my room till I'd finished it.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
'Little Women' for me too. (And Anna Sewell's 'Black Beauty') Nothng like lying in your bed having a good sniffle as one of the characters snuffed it!

Cheers,
aq

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score
What a great question!

When I was really young, it was Scuttle the Stowaway Mouse. I still have that book. :)

When I was older, my favorite was My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

And Judy Blume! I loved all her young adult stuff, and when I was 13 my sister gave me Wifey, because she thought I "should know about that stuff." Boy was dad p.o.'d about that!

Cindy (who doesn't write for children, and had to butt in anyway)

Last edited:

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I loved it so much that during one move to another city (one of many), I checked it out from the library and packed it, just in case the next library didn't have a copy! (I did return it later.) One of my personal treasures now is a copy of this book, with a lovely cover and illustrations, that belonged to my late DD#1. And when I'm kind of down, or have the sniffles, I can still find comfort in its pages.

7_1_120.gif

It just occured to me that this might explain my title, too. I'm a big girl now, so I no longer want to be a princess. I'm EMPRESS of the CYBERWORLD now!! <insert evil laugh soundtrack here>

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Jacob Have I Loved was a beautiful book! Inspiration, I'd forgotten all about it.

Wow. I was a lucky kid, too. Our house was full of books because my mother was deeply committed to having literate children. She gave the TV away when we started school. Heh.

I'm recognizing a lot of old friends among those titles, ya'll.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Dr. Seuss or Richard Scarry, The Phantom Tollbooth, and many books of assorted fairy tales.

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

I had so many books when I was a kid. I loved those Little Golden Books, also Dr. Seuss. Those were more when I was very young. I also loved reading the Berenstein Bears books at my school's library. I probably read "A Wrinkle in Time" when I was 8 or 9.

Birol - no, you can pick as many as you like. :)

My mom had me reading Nancy Drew and the Bobbsy Twins. When I was 11 I got hooked on the Sweet Valley Twins series. (Not sure the correct spelling for Bobbsy.)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's not a famous book. It was called, Kathy and the Dollbuggy. I was really into dolls and my name was in the title. Guess that's why.

Uh oh. Maybe this shows how old I am. Ha ha ha.

espz

Surprised no one mentioned Lloyd Alexander's Prydain chronicles! I'd also throw in Roald Dahl as a huge influence.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Lolita, illustrated.

No seriously, I remember a Winnie the Pooh book I loved very much... but sad to say, I didn't read that much when I was a kid. I grew up with TV and movies, and I read comic books.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
LOL, all you young people, my favorite book was The Polky Little Puppy which looked much like the puppy above! LOL maestrowork!

debraji

Registered
Reaction score
HARRIET THE SPY.

I kept a spy notebook, just like Harriet.

Also, THE HOBBIT, which I read so many times you could quote a sentence and I could tell you what chapter it was in.