Hi, I'm new here...Please LOVE me!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clynnc

I've been reading for awhile but not participating for two reasons. The first is that I feel like I'm walking into a party in progress where everyone already knows each other and you're like, Oh, I don't want to interrupt, they've been friends since second grade or whatever. The second reason is because I'm afraid if I get too involved in this forum, I'll neglect my writing. Okay, but that's not the subject I wanted to address--Actually, what I wanted to ask is whether or not anyone else here has a fear of writing. Like, I'm afraid that inspiration isn't going to come when I sit down to write and that I'm going to just be leaking mucous all over the page/screen instead of Brilliant Literary Genius. Sometimes I feel like I come up with excuses not to write just because I'm so afraid of failure. Okay, so am I just crazy, or does anyone else suffer from composeaphobia? And if you do, how do you get over it?

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I've been reading for awhile but not participating for two reasons. The first is that I feel like I'm walking into a party in progress where everyone already knows each other and you're like, Oh, I don't want to interrupt, they've been friends since second grade or whatever. The second reason is because I'm afraid if I get too involved in this forum, I'll neglect my writing. Okay, but that's not the subject I wanted to address--Actually, what I wanted to ask is whether or not anyone else here has a fear of writing. Like, I'm afraid that inspiration isn't going to come when I sit down to write and that I'm going to just be leaking mucous all over the page/screen instead of Brilliant Literary Genius. Sometimes I feel like I come up with excuses not to write just because I'm so afraid of failure. Okay, so am I just crazy, or does anyone else suffer from composeaphobia? And if you do, how do you get over it?

Welcome! And don't be afraid to just jump right into the party. That's what I did. :)

It is tempting to spend a lot of time on here and NOT writing, but I use this as kind of a reward for getting some writing/editing/progress done.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
This is the best party in the world, and to exclude people from it would be abusing humanity. And you all know how I hate abusing humanity.

Stop laughing.

Okay no seriously. I'm actually terrified of writing. Always.

I don't know how to get over it. Taking a lot of ibuprofin sometimes helps?*

*of course i do not recommend this and oh what bad advice blahblah

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! OMG I am all over that walking into a party thing. Of course all the cool popular kids stick together, but there are scads of newbies here who'd love to talk to you - including me!

As for the quaking fear, I find the more I write, the more confidence I have in my abilities, such as they are. The part I'm scared of is showing it to agents. ::throws up at the thought::

PS I write more since coming here because everyone is so inspiring. :)

roskoebaby

What I do is keep my WIP open and minimized at the bottom of the screen. THat way I can always say I'm working on it. Just write what you want. Who are you failing? If a novel doesn't work, hey, it's a short story.

Welcome:)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Crazy is good, clynnc. You'll fit right in. Um...don't step in Melody's yak.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Me love you long time, clynnc. Watch out for rllgthunder though. He ain't right.

Seriously, welcome. It's a great place here. Dig in and enjoy.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Hey, I'm always pooping parties and posting stupid things in the wrong threads and rambling on about crap and not making sense and not putting any commas in my paragraphs and going on and on without any point. So don't be shy if they put up with me they're guaranteed to love you.

Okay, in answer to your question: write s*** and publish it. No kidding, this works. Then you feel like you're invincible. Have one project that's just fun and and save your inner guts for a serious side project. Just make yourself write and if you don't want to screw up your precious WIP, take out that crazy short story/novella/poem/legal paper and scribble all over it. Ruin your reputation so no one is expecting anything from you, and most importantly, HAVE FUN :D

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
uh yeah I rarely use commas/proper punctuations.

My goal is that someone can read my sentences and imagine how I'm saying them actually

not how I'm supposed to be saying them

i guess

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Scared to death of it. I started a long time ago and loved it and got busy. Now I'm starting back and terrified of it. It's very difficult for me to do. It will pass.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
uh yeah I rarely use commas/proper punctuations.

My goal is that someone can read my sentences and imagine how I'm saying them actually

not how I'm supposed to be saying them

i guess

And yet you still correct everyone else's creative comma usage SHADY.

Uh...yeah I'm scared of writing. It wouldn't be worth it if it was a ho hum sorta thing. The fear keeps me sane and makes me realize that this is serious work, if I wanna write for a living, but it still makes me TRILL with glee when I finally get things right.

And yeah, jump in any time. Seriously. The YA board is VERY forgiving and very silly. Just...get your sillies out! :)

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
What I do is keep my WIP open and minimized at the bottom of the screen. THat way I can always say I'm working on it.

This is exactly what I do. You won't believe how long I spend "working" on my WIP and the word count never goes up...*sigh*

WELCOME!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Process is much more important than product at this point in time. Just write what pops into your head, and enjoy the act of expressing your creative side. I am often surprised by my own writing. Many times I will look back on my work and say... "Wow! I can't believe I wrote that!"
Enjoy the process!

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading for awhile but not participating for two reasons. The first is that I feel like I'm walking into a party in progress where everyone already knows each other and you're like, Oh, I don't want to interrupt, they've been friends since second grade or whatever. The second reason is because I'm afraid if I get too involved in this forum, I'll neglect my writing.
It's like jump rope. You just hang out off to the side until you get a feel for the rhythm, then jump right in. We like newbies to join in. We've heard all of Haggis' and Rllthndr's jokes already.

The cool kids are very nice. Pretty much. :) As for not wanting AW to distract you from your writing....

TOO LATE! You're here!

ltd.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and as for the YA forum, we haven't known each other since second grade. There were a few threads (eh hem...mine included) that kind of propelled this forum from inactive to active over, hmm, the past couple of weeks, maybe the past month? And we love new people, so come on in and join the party!

I've never really experienced that fear of writing. I'm always eager to start a new project. There are times, though, when I'm just not in the mood to write. The best advice anyone can give you is permission to suck. It's your first draft. You can revise it. You're a beginning writer. You don't have to be Shakespeare. So, yeah, sit down, write, and suck. I actually think I've mastered this part, since I've been doing it since I've been five, but now I have to master the good writing part. He he.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
And yet you still correct everyone else's creative comma usage SHADY.

Uh...yeah I'm scared of writing. It wouldn't be worth it if it was a ho hum sorta thing. The fear keeps me sane and makes me realize that this is serious work, if I wanna write for a living, but it still makes me TRILL with glee when I finally get things right.

And yeah, jump in any time. Seriously. The YA board is VERY forgiving and very silly. Just...get your sillies out! :)

yeah I know.

I'm a frickin ENIGMA.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
There were a few threads (eh hem...mine included) that kind of propelled this forum from inactive to active over, hmm, the past couple of weeks, maybe the past month?

I was wrong. The Random Musings thread, which I attribute to all our activity-he he, was created in July. Wow.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I was wrong. The Random Musings thread, which I attribute to all our activity-he he, was created in July. Wow.

Yeah, but don't forget my edgy YA thread, which reminded people there was a YA forum in the first place.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but don't forget my edgy YA thread, which reminded people there was a YA forum in the first place.

Darn it. You're right.

I mean, er, no, she's wrong. LIAR! BLASPHEMOUS LIAR! SCUM OF THE EARTH! HOW DARE YOU?! Does that thread have over 2,000 posts? Uh, think not. Yeah, you know it. BOOYAH!

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Darn it. You're right.

I mean, er, no, she's wrong. LIAR! BLASPHEMOUS LIAR! SCUM OF THE EARTH! HOW DARE YOU?! Does that thread have over 2,000 posts? Uh, think not. Yeah, you know it. BOOYAH!

I think we're all forgeting the fact that I am a charismatic goddess. Therefore, my presence counts for about 782923 x 10^33 active-ness points.

Yeah. That's right.

Clynnc - I love you. I totally do. Wanta smoochie?

Status
Not open for further replies.