So I'm going in to get my driving permit...

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going on Friday. I keep putting it off, but my parents want me to be able to get the groceries and take my brother to gymnastics while they're gone. I've been studying the pamphlet the DMV gave me, but is there anything else I should know before getting tested?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...don't know anything about the Arizona test, sorry. In Maryland the test is SUPER easy.

Blind people wear sunglasses and have white canes! No-zones are 500 feet behind the truck. Turn on your brights when you're 200 feet from another car. You can do it!

I've got my permit now...license in two months.

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...don't know anything about the Arizona test, sorry. In Maryland the test is SUPER easy.

Blind people wear sunglasses and have white canes! No-zones are 500 feet behind the truck. Turn on your brights when you're 200 feet from another car. You can do it!

I've got my permit now...license in two months.

Thanks! I'm terrible at retaining information, but everyone keeps telling me that it's no sweat. I guess it has to be pretty intuitive, since there are so many drivers out there. ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The test is easy. Then it takes about five years to learn how to drive properly, when it will indeed become "intuitive." Later, you'll know what kind of driver you are by the amount of accidents you have avoided. Hopefully, you'll keep distractions (like cell phones) to a minimum and remember your brother's very life is in your hands when he's in the car.

Best of luck to you in passing the test.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Remember, too, that it's YOUR life in your hands when you're behind the wheel of a car. Don't make the mistake of believing that you're ten feet tall and bulletproof. You're not. Be careful.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My advice is to go early in the morning. Be one of the first ones. By the end of the day, the test administrators are really sick to death of people and very grumpy.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Yep first thing in the morning. Here in Utah I have seen them hand someone a book and say it's open book tests.

Best advice I was ever given was by my Uncle. He said when you get behind the wheel, assume everyone else is a idiot driver and don't be one of them.

It was his version of defensive driving. My son is 16 and doesn't want his learners even..he says people are crazy here.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Keep your eyes on the road or on the mirrors with the occational glance at the instruments.

Do not make or maintain eye-contact with the driving test monitor while you are driving.

Do not hit a school bus.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Read the book thingy and you're all set. It's really not hard. Check back when you have to do your driving test! That's harder.

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
My advice is to go early in the morning. Be one of the first ones. By the end of the day, the test administrators are really sick to death of people and very grumpy.

Oh no, why did I sleep in today??

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'll try to keep all of it in mind when I take the test. ;)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Am I the only one concerned that in some parts of Mexico an exam is not required to get a driver's licence? I got mine like that, I just went, gave them my documents, paid, and 10 minutes later I had my licence. No one cared if I could drive or not.

But don't worry, I've heard those exams were easy. Both my parents had to take them when we lived in PA (wonder why US doesn't trust Mexican licences ;) ) and they were very easy. My dad failed because of language barriers. You just have to relax :) you can't drive to your full potential if you're stressed. But don't relax TOO much or you'll fall asleep.

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I just took the written test today, and I failed. =[ It was thirty questions, and I was allowed to get six wrong. I made it to question 21 before it timed me out. So humiliating! I felt like a total dunce walking out of the DMV. I only glanced over the road manual twice, thinking it was mostly intuitive, but I was wrong. I can go back in tomorrow, but I think I'll take another week or two and study, study, study.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sweat it - lots of people fail the first try. This has all gotten so different from the stone age, when I got mine. New rules, different methods.

Just study, study hard, then study some more :)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Deadbeat. Is there a practice test on line to help you with the speed you'll need? I remember my test in Virginia. It was long ago, but it was not timed.

That's sorta dirty pool, people are nervous enough without having the stopwatch treatment.

Good luck on the next attempt. Keep us posted.

I have a funny, but really horrible story from my driving school. I'll relate it if people want me to.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One less careless driving kid I gotta worry about when I take to the road tomorrow.

Just kidding. You'll do all right...with plenty of practice! :)

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
Bummer...good luck next time and call me before you get on the road. JK!

Ummm.....so you can drive alone with just a permit there?

I thought you had to have a licensed driver, most likely a close relative, be a passenger in the car when you drive?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going on Friday. I keep putting it off, but my parents want me to be able to get the groceries and take my brother to gymnastics while they're gone. I've been studying the pamphlet the DMV gave me, but is there anything else I should know before getting tested?
I thought you were a deadbeat dad with seven kids. Good thing you're taking responsibility for operating a vehicle and not spawning the next generation. Thanks.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I sure hope you are a good driver.....as I live in Arizona and we have enough nuts on the road here now.

Really....good luck and please drive with care. :)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I sure hope you are a good driver.....as I live in Arizona and we have enough nuts on the road here now.

Really....good luck and please drive with care. :)
Wait another month and it will get better with the visitors. They know how to drive and will slowly show the locals how to pass the hours during rush hour.

Deadbeat 007

Matriarch of Mediocrity
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm.....so you can drive alone with just a permit there?

I thought you had to have a licensed driver, most likely a close relative, be a passenger in the car when you drive?

Since it's only a permit, I'll have to have a licensed adult with me. I can't get my license for another five months after I get the permit (whew!). So even after I pass the test, I'll have plenty of practice time. ;)