What memoirs are you reading?

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all like to read memoirs?

I've loved them since I was small. The first one I can recall is a Scholastic book about the life of Louis Braille and how he came up with his system of writing for the blind. The book even had a Braille alphabet on the back of the book.

I've recently read Pagan Time by Micah Perks, about her childhood in a hippie sort of commune. (I suppose I was drawn to it because I spent a number of years in a commune, myself.) The book was okay--not much in the way of dramatic tension, but the book was saved by the people and events she experienced and her reactions to them.

The other book was Misfit: The Strange Life of Frederick Exley by Jonathan Yardley This book was a waste, as far as I'm concerned. Yardley, a book critic for "The Washington Post" should've written better than this--a superficial look at a writer with a drinking problem who was supposed to be more personality than substance. I'd never heard of Frederick Exley until I picked up the book--I thought it would be good because of the author's credentials and because it was a bio of a writer. Wrong on both counts.

Soooo, what have the folks in the Cooler been reading, memoir/bio-wise? Got any recommendations?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh nice thread.

I am writing a memoir.....and if you've read any of my posts, I'm struggling with wether or not to put it out as a memoir, or fictional novel. Not sure yet.

Either way, I bought a slew of memoirs to read so I could get an idea of how they are written and so on.

One I read was The Only Girl In the Car by Kathy Dobie - great story.

I've got on my TBR list:

The Liars Club
The Tender Bar
Money, A Memoir: Women, Emotions, and Cash by Liz Perle
Stephen King: On Writing
Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress by Susan Jane Gilman (MIGHT READ NEXT)

and a few others I can not remember the titles of. But I've got'm. :)

rnning2wn

What.
Registered
Reaction score
Funny you should start this thread because on the day you posted is the day I made my order w/ Amazon! Snail mail and one misrouted so unsure when they'll get here. This is what I got:

Look Me In the Eye (of course - looking forward to reading this because it's going to help me with my approach and will affect my outline);

A Child Called It (the abuse he experienced is so severe, I can't 100% relate, but I can empathize some due to my situation. also, he is saved by foster parents -- good thing. my story is kind of the opposite. his writing, however, touched me and is helping me with my thoughts);

Like Family: Growing Up In Other People's Houses (bought this because her mom left her behind - just got up and left, with her boyfriend. this is what happened to me and has caused me to change my first chapter .... again);

An Unlit Path (a beautifully written story from a foster parent's POV); and,

Once In A House On Fire.

I will report back when I have something to say about the others.

[While I'm here wondering if anybody has suggestions where to buy used books besides Amazon and Allibris.]

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Well, I'm damn sure not reading my own. I pop it open when I can't remember something -- funny how that works -- but otherwise no no no no no.

Chipmunk, you'll find that Dave Pelzer is one heck of a fine writer. I haven't read the others on your list, but I've read the entire Pelzer series. After you read A CHILD CALLED IT, you will want more.

Jennifer, I believe the advice in ON WRITING is the best I've read, but that's not the best part of ON WRITING. I still remember the autobiographical portion well. The man can flat-out tell a story. I think I read that book 10 times before I sold it, and it wasn't for the advice because I've written something similar myself.

As for my own recommendations, I've gotta go with the one I read most recently. MALCOLM X. Get the newer version where Alex Haley is acknowledged as the ghost writer, because his postscript in that version is probably the best part of the book.

Ray Charles also gets high marks, because whoever's responsible for that book captured his unique voice, and it's one you definitely want to hear. It's not in the movie.

I see that Douglas Adams is waiting on my bookshelf, unread, and that's definitely something to look forward to. I'd love to know more about him.

I've got a book about Thaksin over there too, since I live in Thailand, but I'm just so bored with the guy that I might never read about him.

Oh, and I think everything Dave Sedaris writes is autobiography, and you'll love it.

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Blackbird, A Childhood Lost and Found, by Jennifer Lauck.

Devastating book. One of the best-written works I've ever read. imo. I do recommend it, but it's best read on sunny, hopeful days. If read at night, sleep will prove elusive.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've got maybe 50-100 bio's on the shelf and have actually read many of them (and probably many more over the decades from the library and such). Notables I recall are:

"Beyond Uhura", Nichelle Nichols. While on the original Star Trek TV series, she was frustrated at the racism among the NBC executives (but not the show's creator Gene Roddenberry, apparently everyone on the show adored him), and wanted to quit the show. She met Martin Luther King, Jr. and told him of this, and he convinced her to stay on the show. What did he say? I won't spoil it for you, but it's an excellent read.

"It's Not About The Bike.," Lance Armstrong (many-time Tour de France winner). Raised by a single mother with little income, his athletic ability was clear from the start, and she was his biggest fan and booster. During high school, his winnings in triathlons exceeded her income. He rented a limo for his prom, and in addition to his date, he took his mother along. He becomes a pro bicyclist (because there's more money in it than in track, long distance running or swimming), then gets cancer. There's much about finding doctors, treatment (chemotherapy - painful stuff), and his 'training' rides during this time, as well as his comeback. I found this an inspirational story.

More recent reads:
Augusten Burrough's "Running With Scissors" is a "kaleidoscope of dysfunction" (I thought I'd coined the phrase, but Google finds another reference!) It seems that just about anything that could go wrong in his young life did. His mentally ill mother gives him to her psychologist to be adopted by him and his family to be raised, and it's almost like going from the frying pan into the fire. There's high weirdness with Bible dipping and, uh, other kinds of dipping. He did seem to have a good friendship with one of his adopted sisters - they would raid the sofa for change and go off to McDonald's and such, so it wasn't all bad.

Augusten Burrough's "Dry." I have a special interest in these "recovery memoirs" after having been through and eshewed "recovery" myself many years back. This features all the high drama of the practicing drunk/druggie going through treatment and going to AA. As an adult (this works well as the sequel to "Running with Scissors") and working at an ad agency, his colleagues do the "intervention" thing, he decides on a gay-only treatment center over the legendary Hazelden, does his 28 days there, then goes back to his work environment and the local AA meetings to see if he can maintain his newfound sobriety. The story is chock full of his new and old gay lovers, and how he struggles with the addictions, but if you're familiar with "recovery" and read one of these before (some older ones are "White Rabbit" and Kitty Dukakis' "Now You Know"), this is basically the same old sin-and-redemption model. I was hoping for something at least a little bit radical, if not like James Frey's rants in "A Million Little Pieces," but "Dry" might as well have ended like "1984" with the words "He loved Bill W."

John Robison's "Look Me In The Eye" - I read this just after reading the two above (John is Augusten's older brother, and left home before the worst extremes described in "Running with Scissors" happened), and this one is quite different, more "measured", more matter-of-fact and less drama. It also goes over John's whole life so far, rather than just parts that Augusten covered in the above two books. John discovers at age 40 he has Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of Autusm, and this helps explain much of his life, both his technical interests and weak social abilities. I like this a good bit more than Augusten's works for many reasons, not the least that I feel I can relate to John's plight. I feel I need to write a lot more than I can here to really do it justice.

I've been wanting to write these last three reviews to put up on my blog, and it looks like this is a good start...

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling to read some. It's not what I usually read, but you have to read what you want to write. I have:

"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham and "I, Asimov" by Isaac Asimov. I should be reading some of the Iraq War memoirs, but I can't bring myself to.

I've read "On Writing" in the past.

Last edited:

rnning2wn

What.
Registered
Reaction score
Chipmunk, you'll find that Dave Pelzer is one heck of a fine writer. I haven't read the others on your list, but I've read the entire Pelzer series. After you read A CHILD CALLED IT, you will want more.

Larocca, funny thing. When I registered with AW and began educating myself on nonfiction writing, etc. (see Learn the Nonfiction Book Publication Process...), I picked some books to read -- similar to my story. A Child Called It was first. I was so astounded by his story, I actually stopped writing for 3 months thinking mine would never be good enough....I'm beyond that now thank goodness.

"It's Not About The Bike.," Lance Armstrong (many-time Tour de France winner). Raised by a single mother with little income, his athletic ability was clear from the start, and she was his biggest fan and booster. During high school, his winnings in triathlons exceeded her income. He rented a limo for his prom, and in addition to his date, he took his mother along. He becomes a pro bicyclist (because there's more money in it than in track, long distance running or swimming), then gets cancer. There's much about finding doctors, treatment (chemotherapy - painful stuff), and his 'training' rides during this time, as well as his comeback. I found this an inspirational story.

John Robison's "Look Me In The Eye" - I read this just after reading the two above (John is Augusten's older brother, and left home before the worst extremes described in "Running with Scissors" happened), and this one is quite different, more "measured", more matter-of-fact and less drama. It also goes over John's whole life so far, rather than just parts that Augusten covered in the above two books. John discovers at age 40 he has Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of Autusm, and this helps explain much of his life, both his technical interests and weak social abilities. I like this a good bit more than Augusten's works for many reasons, not the least that I feel I can relate to John's plight. I feel I need to write a lot more than I can here to really do it justice.

Benbradley -- Didn't know Lance A. had cancer - bro't tears to my eyes. Thx for sharing.

Neat that you already read John R.'s book and shared your view. I'm impressed you think it's better than his brother's too - way to go John!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling to read some. It's not what I usually read, but you have to read what you want to write. I have:

"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham and "I, Asimov" by Isaac Asimov.

I've got "I, Asimov" sitting on the shelf to be read someday, though I feel it may be redundant - I read his earlier huge two-volume autobio "In Memory Yet Green" and "In Joy Still Felt" back when they first came out (talk about self-important, how many people have written that much about themselves??? - but he always seemed good-natured, I recall him joking about his reputation for arrogance). Here's the most memorable part of it for me: His college major was chemistry, and after graduating he became a chemistry professor, all apparently while writing SF and just about every othe kind of writing on the side. He seemed a little insecure about his writing, so he kept his college professor job until 1963, when his writing income was $70,000, and he finally thought he could probably make a living writing full time. That would be a pretty decent writer's income for 2007, no doubt it was a huge fortune in 1963!

vetinari

Registered
Reaction score
Eric Clapton's book is devastating, a very personal piece by a very private man. I'm nearing the halfway point.

It seems that he's one of the world's greatest guitarists because he felt like he HAD to be, to be accepted, to feel like he had a place in the world itself.

Small wonder he's a master of The Blues...

vetinari

Registered
Reaction score
I also enjoyed the aforementioned On Writing by the Rambo guy. Loved it.

I didn't care for Hardcore Troubador, the story of one of my favorite musicians, Steve Earle. The biographer was difficult to follow, and their words laid lifeless on the page like my first wife.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Eric Clapton's book is devastating, a very personal piece by a very private man. I'm nearing the halfway point.

It seems that he's one of the world's greatest guitarists because he felt like he HAD to be, to be accepted, to feel like he had a place in the world itself.

Small wonder he's a master of The Blues...
I've sure heard about that book, he's been on Larry King and who knows where else promoting it. I should read it as much because his music has been as influential in my life as just about anything, and surely much of it (maybe the last half you haven't read yet) is another "recovery bio" like Burrough's "Dry." I recall about ten years ago he auctioned off some of his guitars to support the "Crossroads" (there's that word again! See last Sunday's FF Challenge) alcohol-and-drug treatment center he started. The guitar he played on "Layla" sold for about a half million dollars(!). In a later news story he said he regretted letting go of some of those guitars.

I happen to have an older bio, "Clapton!" by Ray Coleman sitting around to be read. Looking on Amazon, there are a LOT of Clapton bio's.

Then there's the OTHER one, currently for sale in the local Ingles supermarket (thus it's either a top-ten seller or being HIGHLY promoted by the publisher), "Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me" by Patty Boyd, the once-wife of Beatle George Harrison, whom Eric stole from him and married. No doubt it's a real kiss-and-tell thing...

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
I just finished two memoirs. The first was Untangling My Chopsticks by Victoria Abbott Riccardi. You'll love this book if you love intense detail about Japanese high cuisine, specifically tea kaiseki. If you don't know much about Japanese food, and haven't been to Kyoto, you may find the book rather flat and lacking in the conflicts that move most stories along. Food is at the forefront. That is her passion and her focus. Everything else sort of blurs into the background.

The second is Space Between the Stars by Deborah Santana, wife of Carlos. Her book is rich in continuing drama, but not at all overdone. As a high achiever, she lives life intensely. Her story is one of a woman standing in the shadow of renowned musicians who manages to find herself and connect with her heart. Her basic goodness and love shine through the brick walls she has worked all her life to first discover and then tear down. A great read, especially for those interested in the inside story of Guru cults.

andrewhollinger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewhollinger.com
I took a class in college on women memoirists. Learned a lot. These were some of the books we read. And what I would recommend, especially for a feel of a literary-style memoir. My favorite, by far, was The Latin Deli.

Memories of a Catholic Girlhood, by Mary McCarthy
Bone Black and Wounds of Passion, both by bell hooks
Still Alive, by Ruth Kluger
The Latin Deli, by Judith Ortiz Cofer

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished John Lanchester's Family Romance and am getting near the end of Mary Gordon's Circling Around My Mother. It's interesting how much the two, who differ so widely as fiction writers, have in common in their life experience (both had Roman Catholic mothers and non-Catholic fathers, both had mothers whose lives were shaped by fiercely held secrets, both experienced childhood as a combination of loving affection and inexplicable difference, etc.)

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'm reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird now, which is both writing guide & memoir.

I also recently bought but haven't yet read:
A Heartbreaking Tale of Staggering Genius Dave Eggers
Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy Geralyn Lucas
Eat, Pray, Love Elizabeth Gilbert (this was a gift)
Look Me in the Eye John Elder Robinson
On Writing Stephen King

and borrowed:
Angela's Ashes Frank McCourt

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
I just tucked into The Wishing Years by Coralie Cederna Johnson. It's utterly delicious. She is a master of lacing serious topics with dry wit, and balancing documentation with drama. She's also a self-publisher. I can't wait to move on to her next, A Tree Grows in Trout Creek.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I just added Home: American Writers Remember Rooms of Their Own to my wishlist. There's another by the same writers called Family: American Writers Remember Their Own that I'd like to get also.

justagrrl64

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dawnanon.blogspot.com
Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World.... by Rita Golden Gelman. LOVED IT! My summary: a middle-aged woman who goes on walkabout.

Candy Girl: A year in the life of an unlikely stripper... by Diablo Cody.... LOVED IT.. but it's more than a little raunchy. Brace yourselves. (she's also the writer of the current movie... JUNO)

A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown. HIGHLY recommended for folks who like the abused child/success story type of memoir. Awesome insights into a world of addictions and etc. The ending seemed to wind down in a way that seemed different than the rest of the book for me, but still highly recommended. I ended up buying multiple copies of this book since it is the type of book that gets passed from one person to the next and never quite gets returned to the owner.

I also liked...
On Writing by Stephen King
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner (which is more writing advice than Memoir, but still some autobiographical information)

And the First three books in the David Peltzer memoirs. I do not recommend reading A Child Called It without having the second book to begin reading immediately (The Lost Boy). A child called it is rough stuff... the second books even things out a little bit -- leaves you with more of a hopeful feeling instead of a hopeless feeling.

I just received a copy of Survival Stories; memoirs of crisis ... edited by Kathryn Rhett and look forward to reading short story memoirs. I'm also having a hard time locating the Coralie Cederna book that's been recommended.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I just started Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik. I grabbed it from my mother's shelf because it's a memoir, but after reading the table of contents I realized it's structured similar to the way I'm structuring mine - sections with topics, as opposed to strictly chronological.

I currently have names for all my chapters, but realized I also have a couple clear sections, and this book does both. Now I'm not afraid to go ahead with my plan.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Just finished 2 of my favorites

I just read two fun reads. Jancee Dunn was a celebrity interviewer for Rolling Stone, and amidst her life story in "Enough about me" she includes some glimpses of fame and also tips for interviewing celebrities.

The other is by Toby Young called "Sound of no hands clapping." I listened to the Audible.com version, and highly recommend it. Both memoirs are by writers, so they offer a double benefit of a tale about life and some advice about writing.

To see the review I wrote a review about Sound of No Hands click here.

I also posted an article on the blog about reading memoirs, including links to reviews I wrote about some of them.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Angela's Ashes took me to Ireland.
Like Family: growing up in other's people's houses (A great read, I got for free)
On Writing

I think that's the end of my list, but I'll definitely check out some of the titles mentioned here.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
A couple more memoirs on the finished stack

I read An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison. She's a psychiatrist who has severe bipolar (manic-depressive) disorder. It's "pretty good" but not "great." It's amazing how many chances this woman had. She works hard, and deserves every break she gets, but no matter how much of a mess she is, people work with her, want her to succeed, help her stay afloat, etc. In addition to being one of more famous books by the sufferer of a mental disorder, it's also about one of the most resilient social networks a person could ever want to have.

Another one is Firoozeh Dumas' Funny in Farsi, Growing up Iranian in America. This is a cute clever book, which I listened to on the audible.com version. Her accent and authentic pronunciations made it especially pleasurable. In today's tense political climate it's hard to imagine anything lighthearted about Iran, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Jerry