Lulu vs. Authorhouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance who has worked with Authorhouse before, as well as Booksurge. She disliked Booksurge ("not enough support"), and I think she feels Authorhouse is her only option. Plus, she's familiar with them now.

I've worked with a few self-published authors over the last few years. Their experiences with Authorhouse were dismal. I had looked into Lulu at the time and it looked terrific.

Things change so quickly, and I don't have time to do a thorough comparison of the two, but can anyone here offer any comparisons between working with Authorhouse vs. Lulu? She's looking for the most in the way of support (she is blind, so this is a significant issue).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .comparisons between working with Authorhouse vs. Lulu? . . .
The difference is that you don't "work with" Lulu. It offers book-printing services (and other comparable services -- brochures, CDs, I think, and so on). You use it, not "work with it." For someone who can create a 100% camera-ready file for a book and who is comfortable uploading files and jumping through the other hoops online, Lulu is very handy. Otherwise, not, unless you pay someone else to do those things.

Authorhouse and the other subsidy publishers sell hand-holding (formatting, cover design, and so on) that Lulu does not.

Anyway, there are several threads on AW devoted specifically to Lulu. Worth some time. Also, time would be well spent working through the FAQs and other information at www.lulu.com.

In as sense, I suppose you could think of Authorhouse, Trafford, and the like as Lulu on some expensive training wheels. Depending on purposes and preparation, it can be better to deal directly with Lightning Source (the POD book printer) than with Lulu. But that question gets into a lot of complications I do not want to explain here (and lack some information on anyway).

Lulu, Authorhouse, and all the rest all have the limitations that go with print-on-demand publishing. Some just cost more up front. (And of course, run screaming the other direction from PublishAmerica.)

--Ken

Last edited:

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
You answered my question. Without going through the websites myself - which I just didn't have time to do today (so I'm bothering you brilliant people...lol) - I got the sense that Lulu is ideal if you are hands-on.

She isn't, so that's what I needed to know. Thank you very much!

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
If I were still willing to self-publish (which I am not, see my website for details if you really want to know) I'd definitely choose Lulu over Authorhouse.

Michael

Little Doggie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tol.myfastforum.org
Yeah. You don't have to pay Lulu ... you might still not get many sales, but at least you won't lose any money trying. On the other hand, I know of at least one person (Mark Robson with his Darkweaver Legacy) who has had remarkable sales with POD. From what I understand, however, he aggresively promoted his books and endured a lot of hard work to do it.

Michael

Little Doggie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tol.myfastforum.org
I think Mark said he's sold about 50,000 copies all told, for the entire series. From what I understand, that's a pretty high figure for self-published books.

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Comparisons

Things change so quickly, and I don't have time to do a thorough comparison of the two, but can anyone here offer any comparisons between working with Authorhouse vs. Lulu? She's looking for the most in the way of support (she is blind, so this is a significant issue).

Just spotted your post and after 4 months, this may be a moot point. However, you may want to check out this link [keeping in mind that AuthorHouse and iUniverse have merged; check out those threads, too]:

http://online-book-publishing-review.toptenreviews.com/

Cheers!

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, PurpleLady!

Interestingly, I stumbled upon this thread after Googling today. LOL.

Now I'm researching CreateSpace. I have grasped the reality that, for lulu and wordclay and similar sites, one must have a high comfort level for DIY to work with these companies. Now I'm trying to understand distribution potential comparisons between these options.

Oy...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are a lot of self-publishing providers out there and it pays to look around. Lulu is the main no-fee option but there are others, just as there are many fee-charging companies other than authorhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.