Question for Rose

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score
Rose, you mentioned in another thread about making your dog's food at home. I didn't want to hijack that thread, but I'm curious about this. I've considered it, and did make some treats (tuna brownies, yum!) once upon a time, but I never could really get what I considered to be reliable information about the subject. Would you (or anyone else) care to elaborate on your dog's diet, health issues, etc?

Cindy

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
well

I don't know a ton about this, but I do know that there are certain things that you cannot feed your dog, such as onions and grapes.
There is info out there on raw diets tho . . .
Cate

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
dog chow recipes

I've been learning quite a bit about homemade dog food recently. It seems to me there's two schools of thought.

1 - Some proponents insist on all organic ingredients and a weekly or monthly change in the diet These are the people who would never consider giving their pet a store-bought vitamin. They put me to shame.

2 - I love my dog, but I'm not that ambitious and I hate to cook. My vet gave me a very simple Canine Hypoallergenic recipe that Howard can eat everyday for the rest of his life. I assumed he'd be malnourished if he ate the same thing day after day, but the vet said it's perfectly okay as long as he gets the vitamin. I cook rice made with chicken broth, vegetable oil, and dicalcium phosphate (the humans in #1 use organic eggshells rather than dicalcium phosphate). Then I chop up chicken thighs and mix them in. After dinner, Howard gets a vitamin (Pet Tabs) that the vet recommended.

And Cate's right, there's lots of other foods dogs can eat, too. My dog, for example, is restricted to chicken and rice right now. If his allergy goes away, I can start adding in eggs, carrots, and other items.

I have a whole sheet of dog food recipes from the vet. I can scan it and send it to you if you're interested.

Rose

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be very interested, thanks! My dog has allergies, as well, and something I keep calling irritable bowel syndrome. In dogs it has another name, but I can't think of it right now. Anyway, the only thing he can eat without getting sick is ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I've considered changing to home cooked just because he doesn't eat well, and tends to be under-weight, and I'm hopeful that his itchies will calm down if he gets off the commercial diet.

Cindy

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Hi CindyBidar -

I don't have a scanner at home, and still need to get an image of the dog chow recipes for you. I'll try to snap a photo of it tomorrow and turn that into a PDF. Don't worry, it'll come out very clear if I use a tripod. I've had to be quite clever ever since I left my office job and all those peripherals behind.

Rose

PS - PLEASE PESTER ME IF I FORGET TO SEND IT BY THE END OF THE WEEK!!

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Rose, but please don't go to a lot of trouble for me.

cindy

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Notice for CindyBidar - I finally sent you the dog food recipes. Let me know if you don't receive them. Rose