Hero comes into the story....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've read and read and read books where the hero is introduced in the first chapter. My WIP isn't like that and I've tried to come up with so many different ways to make that happen, but nothing is coming out right.

Since my current WIP is told from my heroine's (MC) POV, mostly, I felt I need to continue on with her story, how she's receiving the news of her dead best friend, her actions, instead of cutting from her POV to the hero's POV. Therefore, my hero won't actually be introduced until chapter two.

Is that a very good idea? You're going to want to feel sorry for both and hero and heroine, but for right now where I am in the story, the hero doesn't need to be heard about. Yes, given it was his wife who was found dead, but is there a way I can introduce his character? Maybe the night he finds his wife, or it's during his POV and someone is talking to him about it?

My first introduction of the hero is better because it's a dramatic dialogue set between he and the MC. And that works. But I tell you about him through the heroine's POV, and he doesn't actually get his POV until chapter two.

Blah, I've confused myself. I guess all in a nut shell, is it wise to introduce the hero (second main character) in chapter two? Later in the story where there's a right time??

kali_weim

Registered
Reaction score
Suzy, howdy!

I write historical romance and I actually just got feedback on a contest I entered. And I sent the first 25 pages to be judged. In those pages my hero and heroine hadn't met yet. There was a category that asked if they'd met. I got a score of 4 (has potential) in that area b/c they'd not. I'm not sure how it is in other genres, but it seemed like a good thing my characters hadn't met.

Kali

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kali! And welcome to the boards! I will take your advice into consideration. I just can't imagine the perfect scene to introduce the hero after I've already introduce the heroine. Never fits right until later in the story when they first meet. Like I said, you read about him through the heroine's POV but we don't actually get to talk with him, see inside his head, until in chapter two.

What you said helps. :)

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
my hero doesn't arrive until chapter two, either. And--gasp--he doesn't meet the heroine until page 100! but since the story starts with her, i build anticipation about their meeting this way.

That is why I probably have no business entering my manuscripts in contests. i care too much about telling the story the way it needs to be told.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My current WiP doesn't introduce the hero until chapter 3 (granted, they're short chapters). I could make the chapters longer, I guess, and combine them so it happens in 1 or 2, but the way they currently fall, he's in 3. The first two chapters establish the heroine and what's happening to her, why she feels this way, and the beginnings of the mystery of the story. No room for him until later.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I've done both - I think it depends on the story. If you try to force the intro where it doesn't belong, it won't read well. I've done it both ways - hero in chapter one and hero not coming on the scene until a few chapters in. As long as the story sucks you in, you've done it the right way. IMHO.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely has sucked me in. I can't possibily think of any sane way to add my hero in after I've introduced the MC. It doesn't work. It sounds silly.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, so am I getting that the heroine's best friend is ALSO the hero's wife, or did two people die? If the former, simply have the hero be the one to make the call to the heroine, telling her the news. It can be as simple as he's going through his wife's address book, calling people to tell them as a courtesy. Then you can focus on the heroine without another word from the hero, but the point is made to the reader once they actually MEET in chapter two that it's the same person. If you put enough feeling into a simple phone call, it can be a very powerful opening scene.

If it's the latter, his introduction in chapter one can be as simple as sitting in opposite cars in a construction zone. She sees his sad face and can wonder how two people can be so miserable at the same time. Then, when they meet in chapter 2, BANG. The reader knows why.

Just a few random thoughts. :)

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
And I like those random thoughts! :D And yes, the heroine's best friend is also the hero's wife.

But....that's not how I want the story to go. I wrote a prologue....YES!...a prologue! Where the wife is being murdered, and she tries to save herself by finding a phone and calling the first person she can think of in a time like that. Not her husband, but her best friend (MC) who she hadn't spoken to for years. That is how the heroine finds out her best friend didn't kill herself that she was murdered. MC leaves a voicemail because she wasn't sure what to believe when she received that out of the blue phone call which leads her leaving her name, and number for the best friend to call her back.

Then, after that scene...I wasn't sure which way to go. Since the story is mainly through the heroine's POV should I just keep going with her story, and the way she is receiving the news of her friend's death? How the police called her because of the message she left? Or should I cut to a small scene introducing the hero right after the phone call has been left?????

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
how about a scene where the husband is devastated that not only is his wife murdered but she called some woman she hasnt spoken to in years instead of him?

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
As a romance reader, I don't mind waiting until chapter two to meet the hero (unless that chapter is really long). My only real (and possibly unfair) rule is that the hero and heroine must meet, and begin interacting, before page fifty. The longer it takes for them to get together after that, the more annoyed I become. I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for that, but hey--we all have different tastes, and my tastes demand immediate romance in my romance. :D But there's something out there for everyone.

Best of Luck!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could have the MC call back and the husband answer, having just found the wife's body. Then you can just have a small scene with him as the police take the phone from him and concentrate on the MC for a bit (set-up).

Just off the top of my head. Have fun working it out.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Agggghhhhh! Writing can be so hair-pulling frustrating! I think I've come up with something...then maybe I haven't. Writing is kind of like food.....if you're a chef....you gotta keep playing with it, adding in different textures and spices, before it comes out the way you want it. I gotta keep playing with this. . . .

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I recall a Mary Stewart novel, The Ivy Tree, where she didn't introduce the hero until well into the novel.

It was a danged good read. I think everyone on this board who's not discovered her words yet should check them out. She is to romance what Tolkein is to fantasy.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a little piece last night introducing the hero, and I have to say it's between working, and throwing out. Hero discovers his dead wife...but it's the aftermath of what he finds and he got himself seriously drunk where he's dangerous, and the men in blue won't stop asking him questions. Something like that........but also since it's in his POV, the other characters want to talk more. I can't allow that. . . so, I'll work on it more in the revision room.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I would read it and I think it'd be perfectly fine not to meet the hero until later. Of course, I'm one of those people that reads a work for what it is and actually *enjoys* it that way, so... maybe I'm not the best person to ask. LOL!

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not introducing the hero until later in the story. I tried to write that snippet scene and it turned out good, but I lost the feeling for it. It doesn't fit where I put it. And that's okay because now I am moving forward.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Here's an idea if you want to try it...
My hero is introduced in the first chapter, but throughout most of the book, he's mostly an idea rather than a real person. My mc mentions him a lot, thinks about him a lot, he comes up in conversations, etc., etc. This is a plot device of mine so that the reader only gets one point of view of the hero: hers (which is negative), but at the same time, the reader can tell that there's something going on if she's so focused on him.

Anyway, the point is that maybe your preceeding chapters can mention the idea of him, but he doesn't actually come into the picture until later. The readers know the hero, but it's a biased point of view, and they'll get to actually meet this guy they've been hearing so much about.

btw I read about a similar technique in a romance-writing book (that I LOST! it was the most helpful book I'd ever read!). The author wrote that your hero is almost always present. If he's not actually in the scene, he's mentioned in it. Now, this doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule, but I do think about it generally when I'm writing.

Last edited:

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks mirrorkisses for the advice. It's a good thought. Again, I am jumping through fire hoops on this whole scene. I want the readers to know that my hero is not a friendly guy in the beginning, he's hard, cold and tasteless but at the same time you are yearning to know more about him, and you feel so sorry that he lost his best friend, his wife since childhood. But we don't get to see his soft side until later in the story. I want to build enough tension between my hero and heroine that when its time for them to get together it's breath-taking and unexpected.

I like the idea of a hard man turning soft. Now, I just got to get it down on paper. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.