Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Where have I read that before?

Dunno, it's the name of my snake. :) And possibly, given it's meaning, has been used as the name of a forest before. *shrugs*

Edit: Name of the forest in Shakespeare's "As You Like It." I looked it up. :) I'm still keeping it though, because I love the name.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I may be wrong, but I think in the last "Camelot" movie, the one with Sean Connery, Arden was the name of Lady Gueneviere's village.

Very well could be. :) The word means "forest realm," after all. :D I'm not the sneakiest place-namer in the end, as my spartanesque military capital is named Gwahir, and my immortal refuge is named Salus. ;)

Last edited:

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
If I had a fictional forest, it would be named "Deathwood."

Unfortunately my story is urban fantasy and so I can't make up cool names like that for places in southern Missouri. It doesn't work. As for the foresty area surrounding the Lake of the Ozarks, the locals just refer to it as "the Ozarks."

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of a good name for mine. What have I come up with? Merkinwood. I suck.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
The St. Steven's Spielberg was bordered on one side by the old and gnarly "James Woods", and on the other by the lithe, young timbers full of tigers - thusly named "Tiger Woods"

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
"Them trees ain't right," quavered the old man, pointing at the forest. "That's why we calls them the Forest Gump."

(thanks Queen of Swords for the great line set-up)

:)

-Michelle

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Why do the woods need a name?

They don't. I've never named woods in my life. Not once. Not ever.
Walnut? Oak? Pine?

Great fantasy forest name that's already taken - NJ's own Pine Barrens. It's foreboding and creepy, and that's even before you drive through it.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
If you were writing a story set in the NJ Pine Barrens, then that's the only time I would. If it were a real world story set in NJ, in the Pine Barrens.

But, in a fantasy world, it's too easy to fall over oneself naming everything when ultimately the tone of your story is set by the activities that are done in the woods.

Maybe if you named the woods something really inappropriate... "We've always called these the Cheese-Smasher Woods. Don't really know why. 'Tis the way has always been since before our grandfathers. I always thought it 'twould have been better to call it Horrible-Stinking-Toads' woods on account of the man-eating Horrible-Stinking-Toads, but Cheese-Smasher Woods it is."

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Yo, bad, bad ducky. Woods don't need a name, but some do very well by them. I'm thinking of The Snakey Woods, from Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends.

Very scary, and... snakey.

But a forest. Well that's a different story. A forest needs a name, my friend. Otherwise it's just some... woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.