PDA

View Full Version : Dishonest people...

maestrowork
10-02-2007, 08:38 PM
pissed me off.

I can understand if someone finds $20 on the street he would want to keep it. After all, you can't even track down the owner...

But a wallet? I'd have thought that most people would turn it in or contact the person. Would people turn in lost driver's license, credit cards?

More often than not, people KEEP them.

And what about cell phones?

I lost my cell on Sunday, and I'm 99% sure it was at the gym before it closed. Looking for my cell, I called it from another phone to see if it rang in my car or something, but it went directly to voice mail, so I knew someone must have turned it off (it had a full charge). That means someone must have found it. My name and an alternate number were on the screen for anyone to call for a reward if they find the cell...

But did anyone call? Nope. I went back to the gym the next day and they said no one had turned in the phone. Of course. And I called T-Mobile and, of course again, someone had used the phone to call some numbers.

Since the gym was closing when I left, it would only mean one of the employees must have taken it.

This really pisses me off, more than the fact that I lost the phone in the first place. Fortunately, I don't have any private personal information on it but there were personal messages, email, phone numbers, addresses, etc...

To me, it's theft. Should I report to the police? Granted, the service has been turned off, and I don't think identity theft is a concern here, and the phone probably won't worth more than $50 in the black market. But still, it really pisses me off. Should I file a concern with the gym?

Jersey Chick
10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't know about your service, but with mine, I got insurance so my cell company will replace my phone at no cost. I lost my cell in the grocery store and when I called the phnoe people, I was told I needed to get a police report filed in order to get the phone replaced.

Of course, I found the %%^&@! phone three days later - caught in one of the plastic shopping bags...

Siddow
10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I hate both dishonest people AND cell phones.

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
And I hate gyms, credit cards, and wallets!

Thought I'd spread out the hatred. :)

JLCwrites
10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I think you should call about it. I am curious to find out if there is anyway to trace it, or what the repercussions would be.
Good Luck!

C.bronco
10-02-2007, 09:02 PM
It is theft. Whoever picked it up made calls, and you are paying for them. Start with talking to your phone company and good luck. No one with chocolate pants should ever have to have these problems!

JoNightshade
10-02-2007, 09:02 PM
As someone who picks up DOGS if she sees them running around (let alone wallets), I really can't believe people would steal something so easy to return. And people are always so happy when you come back with their lost item! Geez.

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Have you tried calling the phone, Ray? Maybe you could have a nice convo with the person before revealing your identity. :) Maybe call them when you're at the gym and see if anyone's phone rings.

Sunkissed27f
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Report it.
And the phone won't sell for much. I purchased a new T-Mobile phone and let my IT Geek friend play with my old one....he is some one that could get in to any techy thing...he couldn't get the phone to do anything....so it wasn't available with any other cell service. SO unless the thief sells the phone to some one who has T-Mobile, then it's worthless.
Even then the phone has been deactivated, so it's pretty worthless in that respect too.

shakeysix
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
i'd talk to the manager of the gym. he should know his employees are suspect--s6

eldragon
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Most people are scum.

KTC
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I lost my Dodi.

robeiae
10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey Ray, how do you change the ringtone on your cell phone? Run DMC is just not me...

sunna
10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
i'd talk to the manager of the gym. he should know his employees are suspect--s6

I'll second this one. If you don't decide to report it to the police, at least the manager of the gym will know that one of her/his employees steals from clients.

maestrowork
10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I am going to talk to the gym. I think it is serious if they have a dishonest person in their staff.

As for the phone, I'm just going to replace it. I already suspended the service. I have never lost/damaged a phone before so unfortunately I don't have the replacement insurance (which cost $6 a month) but maybe I should take out the insurance now.

Jaycinth
10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Ray. Not only report it to the manager of the gym, but let them know that the person who took it made some calls. And you now have the numbers the person called.

And you are going to make those numbers available to the police, who will then back trace those numbers and find the people called.

At that point it will be easy for them to shake out the name of the person who stole your phone.

For $29.95..there is a website that will 'reverse' look up the numbers of the people called and give you names and addresses.

(I did that a few years ago. My ex was still on my cell plan, and I wanted his mother to know the kind of creeps and bums he was calling between midnight and 4 am.)

Also..and check with Soccer Mom... but I do believe the gym has an implied responsibility to make sure property gets back to the owner. You may be able to 'push' the management a bit by telling them that you are relatively sure one of their employees 'found' the phone, made calls, and either they can talk to their employees and get it back, or you will turn it over to the police, whereupon the gym will be a rather uncomfortable place to work.

But I'm a psycho example of a bad word...so maybe you shouldn't pay me attention.

Maryn
10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
A city the size of Ray's hometown will also have what's called a criss-cross directory at the library. (Maybe not every branch, but central for sure.) In the old days before the internet, bill collectors and private eyes loved these things, because you can look up a phone number and get a name and address, or look up an address and get a name and phone number. They come out annually and are still in print.

So get the numbers called from T-Mobile. Talk to the gym's owner or manager, and tell him/her exactly what Jay suggested.

Then either visit the library or do a big of judicious Googling to determine who the thief called. If the phone doesn't come back to you unscathed, in a few days' time, perhaps the police is a logical next step.

Maryn, who has no patience for thievery

WendyNYC
10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I found someone's cell phone once. There was no "home" number listed, so I called someone else in this person's phone book and arranged for it to be picked up. He NEVER EVEN SAID THANKS. Lame.

Good luck with your phone. If I would have found it, you would have it by now.

Siddow
10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
If the numbers called are listed landlines, whitepages.com has a free reverse directory.

reigningcatsndogs
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Ray. Not only report it to the manager of the gym, but let them know that the person who took it made some calls. And you now have the numbers the person called.

And you are going to make those numbers available to the police, who will then back trace those numbers and find the people called.

At that point it will be easy for them to shake out the name of the person who stole your phone.

For $29.95..there is a website that will 'reverse' look up the numbers of the people called and give you names and addresses.

(I did that a few years ago. My ex was still on my cell plan, and I wanted his mother to know the kind of creeps and bums he was calling between midnight and 4 am.)

Also..and check with Soccer Mom... but I do believe the gym has an implied responsibility to make sure property gets back to the owner. You may be able to 'push' the management a bit by telling them that you are relatively sure one of their employees 'found' the phone, made calls, and either they can talk to their employees and get it back, or you will turn it over to the police, whereupon the gym will be a rather uncomfortable place to work.

But I'm a psycho example of a bad word...so maybe you shouldn't pay me attention.

There may have been other complaints about stuff going missing from the gym, and this might be the one thing that is traceable enough for the management to do something about it. You never know, but if you have phone numbers the person has called, it makes him/her that much easier to find if management wants to look. Here we can reverse directory any number on the internet at no cost through the phone company's website.

What do you have to lose by going to management at the gym, and maybe they'll thank you for your trouble. It would be nice to think so.

maestrowork
10-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Unfortunately, the phone company won't give out the numbers called. I think the only way to get those numbers and trace back the calls is if the police is involved.

Jaycinth
10-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately, the phone company won't give out the numbers called. I think the only way to get those numbers and trace back the calls is if the police is involved.

Why not? They're billing you for them. Can't you just go on line and check your account? I do that to my daughter all the time. "who is 301-555-5595 and why were you calling them 30 min after lights out?"

Come on, Ray. You're too nice. Start thinking like a criminal.

Siddow
10-02-2007, 11:40 PM

Huh? I can go online anytime and see the numbers that my husband calls from his cell phone.

Not that I do that. :D

Susie
10-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Sure sorry that happened with your cell phone, Ray. Hope you get it back and that person gets his or her comeuppance.

III
10-02-2007, 11:48 PM
If you spent more time on AW and less time at the gym, these sorts of things wouldn't happen.

cray
10-02-2007, 11:53 PM
If you spent more time on AW and less time at the gym, these sorts of things wouldn't happen.

i totally agree.
maybe you could work on getting that post count up past that pesky 25k mark already!

maestrowork
10-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Why not? They're billing you for them. Can't you just go on line and check your account? I do that to my daughter all the time. "who is 301-555-5595 and why were you calling them 30 min after lights out?"

Come on, Ray. You're too nice. Start thinking like a criminal.

Got them... anyone wants to do some snooping for me? Should I talk to a) the management at the gym and b) the police?

These are the numbers:

10/01/07 4:31 PM 513-807-2455
10/01/07 4:27 PM 513-961-5205

Interestingly, the last call I made was around 4:30 PM on Sunday, so it's really curious that the perp called these two numbers at around the same time on Monday, and these are the only two numbers called.

maestrowork
10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
III and Cray: up you're's.

kristie911
10-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Just for the record, lots of police agencies have stopped taking reports on lost cellphones. The cell phone companies used to require a report but the number of reports can get into ridiculous numbers sometimes (we deal with all small agencies in a rural area and one day there were 8 different reports to take...imagine if that were a large city, the number could be in the hundreds).

But if someone picked up the phone and made calls with it, that's another matter. If you had just lost it and couldn't find it, that would not be a police matter. But I definitely think you should go directly to the gym management first. If they don't seem interested, call the police, but I won't guarantee they'll get involved.

Good luck! And yes, most of the time, people suck.

Siddow
10-03-2007, 12:08 AM
all I could find is that the first one is a cell phone, second a landline, both in Cincinatti, both listings unpublished.

Call them!

maestrowork
10-03-2007, 12:09 AM
But if someone picked up the phone and made calls with it, that's another matter.

They definitely picked up the phone and used it. I have the two numbers they called. Would the police do anything to track down the numbers?

Siddow
10-03-2007, 12:09 AM
T Mobil also owns that cell phone number.

maestrowork
10-03-2007, 12:10 AM
all I could find is that the first one is a cell phone, second a landline, both in Cincinatti, both listings unpublished.

Call them!

What would I do or say? "I know what you did last summer..." or breathe heavily?

Jaycinth
10-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Just telling the gym management that you are going to the police may work wonders.

"Excuse me, Manager. These are the numbers that the cell phone thief in your employ called. I can turn this info over to the police, and they'll come in here and you'll have police cars parked outside..and that will look bad. Or you can handle it."

Think like a badger, Ray. A BAD badger.

**Watches as Ray makes a cute badger face***

Awww that's ...just....adorable. Cutest badger EVER!!!!!

(Pssssst....someone go take care of this for Ray...)

reigningcatsndogs
10-03-2007, 12:14 AM
What would I do or say? "I know what you did last summer..." or breathe heavily?
Tell them that you just found a cell phone and this was the last number and you want to get it back to the person who lost it?

maestrowork
10-03-2007, 12:16 AM
I think I'd rather just call the police, just in case these people are some psycho criminals, gangstas, etc.