do agents go on a strength of a letter?

valen_sinclair

Blowing bubbles in the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a small question. I have been writing for some time now, but I still have one small problem.
The initial letter to an agent. I have always sucked at writing letters or enquirys. I can never know what to put in, and what not to put in. Do many agents go on the soul purpose of this letter before deciding on if they will accept your mss....cause I never even seem to get a reply either way.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
UK agents or US agents?
Big difference being most UK agents expect to receive your first 3 chapters along with the letter and are more likely to be impressed with your first few pages than US agents.
A lot of US agents want an initial query letter before they'll even look at your writing (though I will put in my first 5 pages unless they specify not to).
If you're sending to US agents then check out the archives of Rachel Vater's blog and Miss Snark for lots of examples of 'hook' paragraphs and query letters being dissected.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's also a Query Letter Critique board here at AbsoluteWrite, under the Share Your Work umbrella. Some of the regulars there are really quite good at helping the writer improve the query.

Maryn, who admires that

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
UK agents or US agents?
Big difference being most UK agents expect to receive your first 3 chapters along with the letter and are more likely to be impressed with your first few pages than US agents.
A lot of US agents want an initial query letter before they'll even look at your writing (though I will put in my first 5 pages unless they specify not to).
If you're sending to US agents then check out the archives of Rachel Vater's blog and Miss Snark for lots of examples of 'hook' paragraphs and query letters being dissected.

emm, I suppose I am a bit weary of sending in my work without someones approval first. Also what is the format for screenplays in the same regard, do you send in a sample if so....how many pages.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience of submitting screenplays.
I think you need to look at (or possibly purchase) The Writers and Artists Yearbook. this has agent listings plus loads of advice about how to present your work.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Query

No agent will accept a manuscript based on the query letter, but the query letter is why that ask to see the manuscript.

But there's nothing at all wrong with send the first three to five pages of a manuscript along with the query, unless the agency guidelines specifically say not to do so. An agent who would say no because you did this is not an agent you want. As Miss Snark said, sending this pages is an unwritten rule.

And a pretty fair number of agents will look at the first three chapters. If in doubt, call and ask. Agents do not bite, and couldn't over the phone, even if they wanted to. A big problem many new writers have, and even some selling writers have, is a fear of calling and asking.

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience of submitting screenplays.
I think you need to look at (or possibly purchase) The Writers and Artists Yearbook. this has agent listings plus loads of advice about how to present your work.

yeah i have that...2007 edition, i know theres a new one, but i have no income at the moment to get it.
But it's like working your way through a minefield. On one hand it will say they accept sci-fi (script or otherwise) but when you contact them they say no way! Others say they love hearing from new authors or like, and then again it is no way client list full mate.
Plus like I said, I can't write a enquiry letter to save my life.....
Thanks for the response mind.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
yeah i have that...2007 edition, i know theres a new one, but i have no income at the moment to get it.

That's what libraries are for.

But it's like working your way through a minefield. On one hand it will say they accept sci-fi (script or otherwise) but when you contact them they say no way! Others say they love hearing from new authors or like, and then again it is no way client list full mate.

There are fewer than 10 UK agents who handle SF. Have you tried these people?
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/leeenfield/
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jjarrold/

valen_sinclair

Registered
Reaction score
ohhhh thanks waylander you're my hero

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
like waylander says...
valen I know queries seem like a pain but I will say that I have written and done MORE of these small letters AFTER pub than before I was represented. For interviews, for booksellers, for readers. It NEVER stops. Articulate letter writing is a skill that is necessary in promoting your book. JMHO