PDA

View Full Version : If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be and why?

JoNightshade
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
The other day I got called for a "focus group" in my area and this was one of the screening questions they asked.

I thought it would be fun to see what people said.

For myself, if I could meet anyone, it would be Samuel Johnson. Boswell's biography of him made me fall in love with the guy, but from all accounts he was much better in person than on paper. He's just so bizarre and yet so persuasive and forceful, I think he would be a really interesting person to know.

I kinda lied on the screening, though. I gave them my second choice, Alexander Hamilton, because I figured nobody would know who Sam Johnson is, but most people would recognize Hamilton. She didn't.

DamaNegra
10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Hitler. I wanna know how the hell he managed to make so many people follow him blindly.

threedogpeople
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd love to meet Jesus Christ I'd like to know how much the Bible has changed from the original book written in the Aramaic (or Coptic or Greek??) I'd also like to know the role of women as they traveled with the apostles; was Mary Magdalene an apostle or something else? Plus, I might get lucky and he could/would heal my orthopedic injuries.

Voyager
10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Vergil, because his writing was brilliant and because I want to know if he was really a subversive genius or just Augustus's bum boy.

Hillary
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I want to go back and meet myself maybe 10 years ago. Ten years ago I sure could have used a glimpse into the future of the path I'd set myself on.

Selfish? Perhaps. But there is only so much insight I can gain from someone I don't know. And I could do much better things with my life, and more positively affect the lives of those around me, if I had some idea of where I was headed.

KTC
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
I have too many responses to this question. There are so many people I would have loved to have met!

Probably: Siddhartha Gautama...because.

But I'd also love to meet my grandfather.

NeuroFizz
10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Marilyn Monroe...enough said.

eldragon
10-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't be happy with just meeting someone, it would excite me more to, say, spend a month with them.

And then I'd pick (1) Jesus or (2) Buddha.

ajkjd01
10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Elizabeth Cady Stanton.....just so's I can say....thank you.

NeuroFizz
10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
A month with Marilyn. Ooohhhhhhh Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Jaycinth
10-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Eleanore of Aquatine.

Fabulous woman!

Wife to two kings...I believe she outlived both of them.

Mother to several princesses and two kings.

She was very canny, and ahead of her time. You could say she was the first 'women's rights activist' as she championed the idea of 'Chivalry' in an effort to make the men of her day be more respectful of women.

She is wonderful and I would have loved to hang out with her. For a month. I don't think I would want to put up with her time period for more than a month.

cray
10-02-2007, 05:42 PM
*peeks in. nope. no one has mentioned cray yet. pfft. *

MidnightMuse
10-02-2007, 06:07 PM
My maternal grandmother. She was a fascinating woman, I think, and an amazing poet. I'd love to have met her.

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Tolkien. You can bash me if you want, but you can't taint my childhood fantasy of having a conversation with him. :)

robeiae
10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Theodoric of York, Medieval barber. Or Davey Crockett.

valen_sinclair
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I think it would have had to have been Spielberg...yep I know his still alive and all that, would just love to get an insight into his early years...

KTC
10-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Theodoric of York, Medieval barber. Or Davey Crockett.

I guess I don't have to ask what names are in your hat today. You just pulled both of them out.

robeiae
10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
You just pulled both of them out.
Leave my boys out of this. Perv.

KTC
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Leave my boys out of this. Perv.

Good God, Harvey! Don't you have a rabbit to strangle or something?

Salem
10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Cray! I'd want to meet Cray!!

Seriously, I'd probably choose Richard Feynman because I'm fascinated by physics and he's also a synesthete.

Of course there are the obvious ones that would be awesome to meet, too. Jesus, Einstein, Buddha, etc.

PeeDee
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Mmmm. The first people that come to mind would be 1) John Lee Hooker, or 2) Charles Dickens. Oh! Or Winston Churchill. But I wouldn't know what to say. So I'd just sit and stare.

JoNightshade
10-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed by everyone's answers! I think who we would choose to meet says a lot about our personalities. :)

Unique
10-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Joan of Arc or Bernadette Soubirous because I am a curious cat and I want to know things.
>''<

benbradley
10-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Cray! I'd want to meet Cray!!

Seriously, I'd probably choose Richard Feynman because I'm fascinated by physics and he's also a synesthete.

Of course there are the obvious ones that would be awesome to meet, too. Jesus, Einstein, Buddha, etc.
I'd also be interested in meeting Feynman and similar characters, though I've read enough from him and about him that I feel like I've met him. "Genius" is a long but good Feynman bio that I finally read a year or two ago. It had much info I'd seen elsewhere, but much stuff I didn't know as well. I don't recall the synesthete thing - do you have a reference to that?

Mmmm. The first people that come to mind would be 1) John Lee Hooker, or 2) Charles Dickens. Oh! Or Winston Churchill. But I wouldn't know what to say. So I'd just sit and stare.
Robert Johnson!

"So, just how much did The Devil give you for your soul? Did He rip you off as badly as Led Zeppelin did?"

Salem
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I'd also be interested in meeting Feynman and similar characters, though I've read enough from him and about him that I feel like I've met him. "Genius" is a long but good Feynman bio that I finally read a year or two ago. It had much info I'd seen elsewhere, but much stuff I didn't know as well. I don't recall the synesthete thing - do you have a reference to that?

I have the book "Genius" also, but I don't remember if it mentions his synesthesia in it. I'll check it out and get back to you.

MattW
10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd fight Shatner.

PeeDee
10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd fight Shatner.

You would lose so bad, son. Oh man.

RumpleTumbler
10-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm partially with Hillary. I have a child so I can't go back (not that I could if I didn't) but because I do I can't have my first choice. That would be to go back and kick my ass when I was about 11 years old. Kick the living shit outta me. Then sit me down and tell me how I'm about to fuck my whole life up with bad choice after bad choice and then at 46 it'll be too late and I'll have thrown away my one life with no 2'nd chance.

Since I can't do that I'd meet Jesus if I could have several hours to ask questions and get answers. If it were just to say Hi, and and shake hands....no thanks.

RumpleTumbler
10-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I'd fight Shatner.

You aren't that pansy finnegann guy are you?

Shadow_Ferret
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Helen of Troy.

Because she was hot!

III
10-02-2007, 10:55 PM
A month with Marilyn. Ooohhhhhhh Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

And a lifetime with Penicillin.

I think I'd like to meet Barnabas from the Bible. He seems like one of the coolest guys ever.

aadams73
10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Gene Kelly when he was in his prime. I've always wanted to dance with the best.

A. Hamilton
10-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I think I'd have to pick my mother. She passed when I was ten and I know so little about her.
But there are some greats and otherwise I'd consider:
King Solomon
Naomi, Esther or Ruth-or some other biblical woman of note-
Joan of Arc
Einstein-
Da Vinci
Helen Keller and Ann Sullivan
Scott Joplin
Laura Ingalls Wilder

wood pixie
10-02-2007, 11:35 PM
This is weird. No one?
I can't think of anyone ... really.

I don't much care for history ... or historical figures.
Celebrities past or presence either.

Shakespeare maybe? I'd sure love to know what inspired him when he wrote a Midsummer's Night Dream. My favorite among his works.

cray
10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Shakespeare maybe? I'd sure love to know what inspired him when he wrote a Midsummer's Night Dream. My favorite among his works.

did he write that?
:D

JoNightshade
10-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Mm, one biblical figure I'd like to meet is Joab. I like him, and I really think he got a bad rap. He does all of David's dirty work and doesn't get an ounce of appreciation.

Shadow_Ferret
10-02-2007, 11:54 PM

Naw, one or two treatments, but a lifetime of bragging.

arrowqueen
10-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Elizabeth I

III
10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I think I'd have to pick my mother. She passed when I was ten and I know so little about her.

In that case, I'd choose my father-in-law. He passed when my wife was seven and I never met him, but her family always talks about what a great, godly man he was. I'd like to meet him and tell him thanks for giving me the greatest gift.

SherryTex
10-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Going into Pre-history, to find whoever it was who became the first Homeric poet. To find out if there was an actual Homer, how he conveyed all of the epic Illiad to later poets who would some day get around to writing it down.

Dave.C.Robinson
10-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Robert E. Howard.

Ava Jarvis
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Sappho.

Southern_girl29
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I would like to meet my grandfather. He died in a farming accident before I was born. I would also like to meet Laura Ingalls Wilder, because she inspired me to become a writer.

DamaNegra
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Eleanore of Aquatine.

Fabulous woman!

Wife to two kings...I believe she outlived both of them.

Mother to several princesses and two kings.

She was very canny, and ahead of her time. You could say she was the first 'women's rights activist' as she championed the idea of 'Chivalry' in an effort to make the men of her day be more respectful of women.

She is wonderful and I would have loved to hang out with her. For a month. I don't think I would want to put up with her time period for more than a month.

Ooooo, definitely! She was mother to Richard the Lion-Hearted. She had like, 8 or 9 kids. She outlived many of her kids, as well as her two husbands. She also survived a failed cruzade. I'd surely would've loved to meet her too!

NeuroFizz
10-03-2007, 08:35 PM
You don't think Marilyn would have any interesting takes on life in general, or specifically the movie industry? The contast in what she was off set and what she was on set is pretty significant as I understand it. And where she came from and what she became is another great contrast. She also "hung out" with some very powerful people. Getting to chat about all that would be wonderful.

Getting a little frisky with her would, too.

Salem
10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
I almost forgot--Benjamin Banneker!

totidem_verbis
10-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - I think he was brilliant.

Da Vinci - Same reason.

Pat~
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, if I could pick only one, it'd be Jesus Christ. But if I could wrangle a few more choices out of you, I'd pick Adam (+/or Eve), the apostle Paul, Teresa of Avila, George Herbert, Fenelon, and my dad's real father (even my dad only met him twice, as a child).

RumpleTumbler
10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, if I could pick only one, it'd be Jesus Christ. But if I could wrangle a few more choices out of you, I'd pick Adam (+/or Eve), the apostle Paul, Teresa of Avila, George Herbert, Fenelon, and my dad's real father (even my dad only met him twice, as a child).

But as a Christian you're going to meet most of those anyway right?

What about someone who has died and while not being sure everyone would really expect them to be in hell, cause the others are just wasted wishes. You get to meet them when you die.

Pat~
10-08-2007, 10:37 PM
But as a Christian you're going to meet most of those anyway right?

What about someone who has died and while not being sure everyone would really expect them to be in hell, cause the others are just wasted wishes. You get to meet them when you die.

Sure I'll eventually meet them, but if I could meet them NOW, while I'm still on earth, it would probably impact my life in life-changing ways. It'd make my time here on earth count for more (hopefully).

RumpleTumbler
10-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Sure I'll eventually meet them, but if I could meet them NOW, while I'm still on earth, it would probably impact my life in life-changing ways. It'd make my time here on earth count for more (hopefully).

Just curious.

Pat~
10-08-2007, 10:41 PM
And it was a valid observation. :)