If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be and why?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The other day I got called for a "focus group" in my area and this was one of the screening questions they asked.

I thought it would be fun to see what people said.

For myself, if I could meet anyone, it would be Samuel Johnson. Boswell's biography of him made me fall in love with the guy, but from all accounts he was much better in person than on paper. He's just so bizarre and yet so persuasive and forceful, I think he would be a really interesting person to know.

I kinda lied on the screening, though. I gave them my second choice, Alexander Hamilton, because I figured nobody would know who Sam Johnson is, but most people would recognize Hamilton. She didn't.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I'd love to meet Jesus Christ I'd like to know how much the Bible has changed from the original book written in the Aramaic (or Coptic or Greek??) I'd also like to know the role of women as they traveled with the apostles; was Mary Magdalene an apostle or something else? Plus, I might get lucky and he could/would heal my orthopedic injuries.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Vergil, because his writing was brilliant and because I want to know if he was really a subversive genius or just Augustus's bum boy.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I want to go back and meet myself maybe 10 years ago. Ten years ago I sure could have used a glimpse into the future of the path I'd set myself on.

Selfish? Perhaps. But there is only so much insight I can gain from someone I don't know. And I could do much better things with my life, and more positively affect the lives of those around me, if I had some idea of where I was headed.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have too many responses to this question. There are so many people I would have loved to have met!

Probably: Siddhartha Gautama...because.

But I'd also love to meet my grandfather.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I wouldn't be happy with just meeting someone, it would excite me more to, say, spend a month with them.

And then I'd pick (1) Jesus or (2) Buddha.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Eleanore of Aquatine.

Fabulous woman!

Wife to two kings...I believe she outlived both of them.

Mother to several princesses and two kings.

She was very canny, and ahead of her time. You could say she was the first 'women's rights activist' as she championed the idea of 'Chivalry' in an effort to make the men of her day be more respectful of women.

She is wonderful and I would have loved to hang out with her. For a month. I don't think I would want to put up with her time period for more than a month.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
*peeks in. nope. no one has mentioned cray yet. pfft. *

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My maternal grandmother. She was a fascinating woman, I think, and an amazing poet. I'd love to have met her.

valen_sinclair

Blowing bubbles in the wind
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would have had to have been Spielberg...yep I know his still alive and all that, would just love to get an insight into his early years...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Theodoric of York, Medieval barber. Or Davey Crockett.

I guess I don't have to ask what names are in your hat today. You just pulled both of them out.

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Cray! I'd want to meet Cray!!

Seriously, I'd probably choose Richard Feynman because I'm fascinated by physics and he's also a synesthete.

Of course there are the obvious ones that would be awesome to meet, too. Jesus, Einstein, Buddha, etc.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Mmmm. The first people that come to mind would be 1) John Lee Hooker, or 2) Charles Dickens. Oh! Or Winston Churchill. But I wouldn't know what to say. So I'd just sit and stare.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wow, I'm really impressed by everyone's answers! I think who we would choose to meet says a lot about our personalities. :)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joan of Arc or Bernadette Soubirous because I am a curious cat and I want to know things.
>''<

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Cray! I'd want to meet Cray!!

Seriously, I'd probably choose Richard Feynman because I'm fascinated by physics and he's also a synesthete.

Of course there are the obvious ones that would be awesome to meet, too. Jesus, Einstein, Buddha, etc.
I'd also be interested in meeting Feynman and similar characters, though I've read enough from him and about him that I feel like I've met him. "Genius" is a long but good Feynman bio that I finally read a year or two ago. It had much info I'd seen elsewhere, but much stuff I didn't know as well. I don't recall the synesthete thing - do you have a reference to that?

Mmmm. The first people that come to mind would be 1) John Lee Hooker, or 2) Charles Dickens. Oh! Or Winston Churchill. But I wouldn't know what to say. So I'd just sit and stare.
Robert Johnson!

"So, just how much did The Devil give you for your soul? Did He rip you off as badly as Led Zeppelin did?"

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'd also be interested in meeting Feynman and similar characters, though I've read enough from him and about him that I feel like I've met him. "Genius" is a long but good Feynman bio that I finally read a year or two ago. It had much info I'd seen elsewhere, but much stuff I didn't know as well. I don't recall the synesthete thing - do you have a reference to that?

I have the book "Genius" also, but I don't remember if it mentions his synesthesia in it. I'll check it out and get back to you.