PDA

View Full Version : Funny Joke: How do you further stress a megastressed writer?

KTC
10-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Put a YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED FOR JURY DUTY letter in his mailbox!

Okay...so it's not funny. Who cares. I suffer...you don't laugh. Of all the friggin' nerve! I told the government to take my taxes and leave me the F*** alone. They're not holding up their end of the bargain. This is the 2nd jury duty in 3 years. Couldn't come at a worse time.

Calgon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take me away!

Bloody hell!

I guess I could have said, "What's worse than finding a rejection letter in your mailbox?"

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Jaycinth
10-02-2007, 12:30 AM
I would have guessed telling her she's having twins.

But that's just me.

Unique
10-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I told the government to take my taxes and leave me the F*** alone.

Damn. They listened to me. I never get called. :cry:

KTC
10-02-2007, 12:33 AM

I probably said, "PLEASE leave me the F*** alone." That was my mistake. You didn't say please, did you?

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 12:35 AM
I've never been called on for jury duty. Odd.

Sorry that this has come at such a bad time. Are you at least close to polishing off that contest piece?

KTC
10-02-2007, 12:37 AM
No. Not at all. (-; Working like crazy though. I think I'm going to make it in time, but man...I hate the bumps along the way. Is it just me, or is October always a crazy time?

Angie
10-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Bleh. I had jury duty once. Spent half a day sitting through the selection process, only to have them tell us they didn't need any more jurors for that day.

So I had to sit through half a day of jury selection the next day. To be sent home AGAIN.

Jury duty sucks. I feel your pain.

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Last time, I spent three days. You have to show up for the pool 3 days. On the third day I was chosen...after a full day long process. We had to go up on the stand individually in front of the lawyers in order for them to decide if we were racist or not. After I made it through that stage of the process I spent another day with the actual case being faught. Then, at the end of, I think the 6th day, there was a plea bargain or some such thing and we were all sent home.

melaniehoo
10-02-2007, 01:11 AM
OMG, I'm so sorry! Not what you need right now. I'll cross my fingers you get dismissed the first day. :)

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:16 AM
I'll try very hard to be uncooperative...but I'm just too goddamned cheery for my own good.

JLCwrites
10-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Usually I get hit with JDuty after I have renewed my driver's license, or re-registered to vote. Last time was in CA where I was called into the courtroom on my first day. I told the judge that I have an uncle who is retired NCIS and two cousin's who are sheriffs. I was told to leave and in CA, if you are dismissed, you don't have to go back, and you won't get another notice for 3 years. I think that now it has even changed to a phone system where you call at a certain time to see if you are needed at the courthouse the next day.

I'm not sure what your state does, but I will keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't last long!
:)

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:20 AM
HA! I just renewed about 3 weeks ago...not even. I wonder if that's why I got hit?

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Is it just me, or is October always a crazy time?

This one is for me. Sending out queries this week. I haven't sent any yet and I'm already a wreck. This month will mean much nail biting. Am I pregnant? If so, is it ectopic again? How many rejections am I going to get? Will Firebrand pick me up, maybe? Arrrrgh! *jumps in the crazy October boat with KTC*

Susie
10-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Sorry that happened a-gain! But bet you'll be chosen as the foreman!:)

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm the foreman of the bored. I cannot be foreman of the jury. I wish I could be chairman of the board...or even chairman of the bored. Sadly, I left my clipboard at the office.

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm the foreman of the bored. I cannot be foreman of the jury. I wish I could be chairman of the board...or even chairman of the bored. Sadly, I left my clipboard at the office.

I'm the sports technical committee chair on a national board of directors. What do I win? ;)

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:31 AM
How about a chair? I just won one. I was dead chuffed.

I think I'm chaffed now, though...I suspect it's digging into the backs of my legs?

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Damn it!!!! I was a please away from freedom!

JLCwrites
10-02-2007, 01:36 AM
HA! I just renewed about 3 weeks ago...not even. I wonder if that's why I got hit?
Yep!

Unique
How about a chair? I just won one. I was dead chuffed.

I think I'm chaffed now, though...I suspect it's digging into the backs of my legs?

Sorry. Show them your chapped *ss from your new chair. Tell 'em it's contagious. :D

KTC
Curses!

KTC
10-02-2007, 01:37 AM
How bout I just put a cap in yo ass, Uni? We'll call it even...

Unique
10-02-2007, 01:38 AM
"Have you ever done drugs?"
'Yes.'
"Do you have relatives that are policemen or lawyers"
'Yes.'
"Are you a homicidal maniac?"
'Yes.'
"Are you a habitual liar?"
'Yes.'

Lie yer ass off. make 'em think you're crazy ... no, wait! Tell the truth. Then they'll KNOW you're crazy.

Then you won't have jury duty - you'll need a jury.
:D

maestrowork
10-02-2007, 01:41 AM

I just notified your local authorities and justice system...

Azraelsbane
10-02-2007, 01:41 AM
I was going to suggest going in with no shirt/shoes, in a pair of patched overalls and donning a straw hat. I also think you should black out some teeth with a Sharpie. :)

maestrowork
10-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Lie yer ass off. make 'em think you're crazy ... no, wait! Tell the truth. Then they'll KNOW you're crazy.

Just wear a "Free OJ - he's innocent" T-shirt.

MidnightMuse
10-02-2007, 01:43 AM
I got that annoying notice in the mail once, about a year and a half ago. All I had to do was call in every evening to see if my "number was up", and it never was. They can't try you again for a full year (here).

My sister got it a few months later, called, got called but just ended up wasting a day in the waiting area.

reigningcatsndogs
10-02-2007, 02:01 AM
I've never received a notice for Jury duty -- ever. My mom got her first notice last week, but was excused as soon as she sent in her forms because she's 85. My one sister has been called up 6 times (we tease her a lot about it, cause truth be told, she should be sitting on the other side of the table), and each time they excuse her within a minute of talking to her (she's nothing like me though!!).

I hope if you have to go, that it goes quickly for you. No one considers how awful it is to be on a jury. Just be glad that Pictin be being tried at this end of the country because that one would be the absolute worst to have to sit in on, for any number of reasons.

May your case be simple, the judgment quick, and may you gather much info for further literary works in the process. I'll still keep my fingers crossed you get excused though!

III
10-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I think Kevin's guilty. OF BEING HOT! Case closed.

JLCwrites
10-02-2007, 02:14 AM
I was going to suggest going in with no shirt/shoes, in a pair of patched overalls and donning a straw hat. I also think you should black out some teeth with a Sharpie. :)
He'd fit right in where I live. I don't think the judge would even notice! :)

Serenity
10-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Well, Kevin, it could be worse... or at least more idiotic. My uncle received a state jury duty summons four months after he passed away. My aunt called to inform them that "he most likely wouldn't be showing up." (her words :P)

KTC
10-02-2007, 03:02 AM
I can do crazy real good. Maybe that's an option I should employ? I haven't worn my tinfoil hat, my wax lips OR my Phantom of the Opera longjohns in a really long time? Hmmm?

KTC
10-02-2007, 03:02 AM
I think Kevin's guilty. OF BEING HOT! Case closed.

Touch me. Feel the sizzle.

KTC
10-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Well, Kevin, it could be worse... or at least more idiotic. My uncle received a state jury duty summons four months after he passed away. My aunt called to inform them that "he most likely wouldn't be showing up." (her words :P)

oy vey...the way bureaucrats work, I'm surprised they didn't exhume the body. (no disrespect...well, disrespect for the arseholes who didn't catch their error.)

imagoodgurl4
10-02-2007, 03:09 AM
I went to college in Boston, MA but I'm originally from CT (now I'm a permanent Bostonian, lol)...well, I got called for jury duty in MA and then 6 months later I got called in CT. And I'm only 21. I know people in their 50s who have never served...why don't they call one of them?

jennifer75
10-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Put a YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED FOR JURY DUTY letter in his mailbox!

Okay...so it's not funny. Who cares. I suffer...you don't laugh. Of all the friggin' nerve! I told the government to take my taxes and leave me the F*** alone. They're not holding up their end of the bargain. This is the 2nd jury duty in 3 years. Couldn't come at a worse time.

Calgon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take me away!

Bloody hell!

I guess I could have said, "What's worse than finding a rejection letter in your mailbox?"

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Look at it as reading time. I'd love some forced reading time.

Out of all my colleagues and friends, I'm the only one that "will cause a financial burdon" works for. Never been called. Knocking on allllll the wood in the room.

writerterri
10-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Do what I do, tell them you have young kids at home and you're their only care taker and your wife is the current sole bread winner in the house. But do have their age and birth date ready.

You can tell them by phone or at least I got away with it.

KTC
10-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Do what I do, tell them you have young kids at home and you're their only care taker and your wife is the current sole bread winner in the house. But do have their age and birth date ready.

You can tell them by phone or at least I got away with it.

Um...yeah. I don't see that working. My one daughter is married, my other is 19 and my son, though younger, spends his days at school. Do you have any young kids I can borrow? Just for a little while.

KTC
10-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Just wear a "Free OJ - he's innocent" T-shirt.

Or, maybe...OJ's GUILTY!

writerterri
10-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Um...yeah. I don't see that working. My one daughter is married, my other is 19 and my son, though younger, spends his days at school. Do you have any young kids I can borrow? Just for a little while.

L-I-E

You can have mine. As soon as they get there please give them some water. Oh, and duct tape works wonders on my kids. Don't send them back until they learn French, please.

Thanks kev!

KTC
10-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Ce sera mon plaisir.

writerterri
10-02-2007, 04:41 AM
Ce sera mon plaisir.

No kato taco bell.

KTC
10-02-2007, 04:42 AM
lol.

Kato the actor? We're back to OJ are we?

writerterri
10-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Free OJ and kato has a small one!

KTC
10-02-2007, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't know.

writerterri
10-02-2007, 05:08 AM
I wouldn't know.

me iether...either. i before e accept after c.

Are feathers really warm?

JLCwrites
10-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Are feathers really warm?

Yes, very cozy.

wood pixie
10-02-2007, 09:20 AM
"Have you ever done drugs?"
'Yes.'
"Do you have relatives that are policemen or lawyers"
'Yes.'
"Are you a homicidal maniac?"
'Yes.'
"Are you a habitual liar?"
'Yes.'

Then you won't have jury duty - you'll need a jury.
:D

My son is a corrections officer does that count? Can I get off if called???

KTC
10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
One feather wouldn't do you much good, but I'm sure a ton of feathers would keep you warm. Why do you ask?

writerterri
10-07-2007, 02:29 AM
One feather wouldn't do you much good, but I'm sure a ton of feathers would keep you warm. Why do you ask?

We might have moved on already but...

I just wanted to change the subject.

scarletpeaches
10-07-2007, 02:30 AM
I've been used once and decided I didn't want to do it again when I was called for the second time this year. I now have the perfect way of evading - and it's legal and acceptable to the courts, before any of you ask. It might only work in Britain, though.

SherryTex
10-07-2007, 05:09 AM
How do you stress a mega stressed writer? Depends. Who is he?

Say...it's been done.
Say I think I read something like that last week in Borders...
Say I'd like to be a writer too.
Say But how much do you get paid for doing this?
Say Hello, I'm from PA and I'd like to help you get published.
Say It's not finished yet is it?
Say Would you like to read my poem?
Say Our records indicate that this bill is past due...
Say We'd like you to write a serious memoir of Britany Spears
Say You've been selected for Jury Duty in Nevada. Welcome to OJ II

KTC
10-07-2007, 07:15 PM
not funny in the least.

Angie
10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Say Where do you get your ideas?

SherryTex
10-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Good one Angie!

Say, I didn't get it.
Say, but what do you do for a living?
Say, I have a book idea, let me just tell you the prologue you'll love it.

Angie
10-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Say, I have a book idea, let me just tell you the prologue you'll love it.

Say, I have a book idea but I can't write. You should write it and share the money with me!

KTC
10-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm turning the channel. Now I'm just bored.

Angie
10-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Sorry. Coffee?

SherryTex
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Well, then you're ready for jury duty! Have fun.

KTC
10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, then you're ready for jury duty! Have fun.

smartass! Come with...I'll buy the coffee. We can bore each other in preparation for the preliminaries.

SherryTex
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Got a guaranteed way out of all jury duty, having three at home, I'm free for the next five years....

KTC
10-08-2007, 11:28 PM
three in the hand is better than one in the jury box?

SherryTex
10-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Absolutely, when they're my three, besides, it's only three of my eight, so it's light duty by comparison with summertime.

JLCwrites
10-09-2007, 01:15 AM
:e2faint: