Most helpful Memoir advice book?

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious as to what everyone would recommend for advice on writing your life story. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Pamster, my only advice would be to work on a strong proposal--my weakness :D. This is so important.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Most helpful writing

Just curious as to what everyone would recommend for advice on writing your life story. :)

Hi Pamster,

You could try my step by step book for converting life experience into story. Available here.

Even cheaper, I've posted more than 50 essays about memoir writing on my blog.

Best wishes,
Jerry

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
From personal experience (I'm still working on mine) I'd say don't get hung up on what other people might think about what you have to say. It's YOUR story and you can worry about those things later. Just get the story out. I've wasted a lot of time worrying about how this might affect the people in my life and the first couple chapters are confusing because of this.

Kimmi - is there a good thread explaining the proposal process for memoirs? I've read it's different for memoirs than other non-fiction, but I haven't found a clear answer differentiating them.

Thanks!

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Right, Tell your story and always, always have a disclaimer in the beginning that states something to the effect of ... this memoir/story is based on my recollection of events from XXX. Some names have been altered and when dialogue is used, it is based on my exact recall of specific conversations.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From personal experience (I'm still working on mine) I'd say don't get hung up on what other people might think about what you have to say. It's YOUR story and you can worry about those things later. Just get the story out. I've wasted a lot of time worrying about how this might affect the people in my life and the first couple chapters are confusing because of this.

Kimmi - is there a good thread explaining the proposal process for memoirs? I've read it's different for memoirs than other non-fiction, but I haven't found a clear answer differentiating them.

Thanks!
The proposal is needed more than likely for memoirs and very very important to establish platform! So I've had requests from agents on such and have been informed. And yes, Jenna has a thread here on non-fic proposals I believe.
Hope that helps :)

Last edited: