PDA

View Full Version : The I-want-a-cat thread!

JoNightshade
10-01-2007, 07:06 AM
I am getting seriously jealous of all the people with cats on AW. Not just ONE cat, either, but like seven, nine, eleven cats! Kittens, blind cats, stray cats, everything!!!

I grew up with one kitty who now lives with my parents. I obsessed and begged and pleaded for years before I got him (on my tenth birthday). He would not be happy with me because I live in a little apartment and he likes to go out and hunt on my parent's large property.

Anyway, I am feeling a serious, serious lack of cat in my life right now.

We can't even think about getting one until we move to Seattle in the spring, because my husband is mildly allergic and needs it to be a mostly-outdoor kitty. Also I don't believe in confining cats indoors if possible. And even when we DO move to Seattle, there's no guarantee we'll have somewhere with a yard immediately!

:cry:I need my kitty fix!!!

Siddow
10-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Go volunteer at the local shelter.

Azraelsbane
10-01-2007, 07:22 AM
My kitty is an indoor kitty. She has 1400 sq. feet for predator-free frolicking. She weighs about 1.5lbs, so I think it's enough for her. :D

I only have one cat, and it's the first one I've ever owned. I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy about it yet (always been a dog person). This kitty sure does meow a heck of a lot.

Shady Lane
10-01-2007, 07:23 AM
I have seven.

:D

ETA: This is my most recent baby:

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/hannahShady/?action=view&current=meandcharlie.jpg

By the way, that shirt I'm wearing is really cool. I made it myself.

Del
10-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I have four. I can mail them to you.

mkcbunny
10-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Careful. Cat want leads to cat adoption. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I've got three... would get another if the opportunity forced itself on me. They're m' babies. :)

KTC
10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Can't we have an I-want-to-toss-a-cat thread?

Unique
10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Can't we have an I-want-to-toss-a-cat thread?

No. And I'll complain if you start one.

I know you want a kitty, dear. You'll get one soon. I used to let my cats outside but the road out front has gotten entirely too busy. I lost my last cat to insanely idiotic, don't give a damn, why don't you slow down f***head, selfish drivers... ahem.

My best house for cats had a screen porch and a fenced yard (in case of escape). They loved it. Outside without actually being outside.

My oldest cat (my beloved baby, Ma'am) never has liked outside. On the rare occasion that she did go out, she hugged the side of the house like a terrified child, nibbled her grass and ran back in.

Everyone else got used to it. Even Sweeney the spazz just ran out the other day, stayed out about 10 minutes and ran right back to the door.

Some cats won't be happy inside and some won't be happy outside. It depends on the cat. I'll pray you get one that suits you and your environment.

My world would be diminished without my cat kids.

justpat
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
My kids want a cat so bad, but no pets allowed in the building. They want me to bribe someone, but that wouldn't work. Plus, they are highly allergic to cats anyway. Which is all too bad, because I wouldn't mind having one around either.

The_Grand_Duchess
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Get one of those hairless ones. They need love.

I have two indoor cats. They hate the outside becuase its cold, wet, and no one feeds them out there.

I love cats, they're awesome.

ajkjd01
10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah...I never thought I'd get a cat.....always thought I was a dog person.

I don't have a secure yard that I would trust the fuzzy one loose in. And with where I live and what I do for a living I would be afraid someone would hurt her. I couldn't handle that. Too close to a highway for comfort...too many people in my neighborhood working on cars (seen too many antifreeze spills on pavement)...too many crazies out in the world for me to let her out. Not a bad thing.

Angie
10-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Even Sweeney the spazz just ran out the other day, stayed out about 10 minutes and ran right back to the door.

You have a cat named Sweeney, too?? :eek:

Mine is a huge fat grey tomcat. He likes to run through doors, but freaks out the second he's outside. His eyes get as big as saucers, he freezes to the spot, and I have to go out and get him, laughing at him the whole time.

All cats named Sweeney must be spazzes. ;)

robeiae
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
My Siberian husky would very much like a cat, please. Anyone with extras, feel free to send them to me.

justpat
10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Get one of those hairless ones. They need love.

Yuk. Sorry, I like cats, but not those hairless ones. They freak me out.

RumpleTumbler
10-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Me too. It'll be two years towards the end of this month. *le sigh*

KTC
10-01-2007, 05:15 PM
HERE'S MY CAT!

http://www.shawnolson.net/media/1_1114_1.jpg

reigningcatsndogs
10-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I've had cats all my life. On the farm, they were outside during the day, inside at night. When my parents relocated into the city, the cats relocated into the house, permanently. They adjusted fine. My cats have never been allowed outside. They adjust fine. The reasons my cats are inside cats are: they are safer (we have lots of other critters around who would eat them no problem), they are safer (there are seriously people who see a cat on the road and stomp on the accelerator to hit them), they are safer (they are eating what I know is healthy for them and therefore can't get sick from what I feed them), and they are safer (I have seen neighbors do unspeakable things to cat and cat owners because a feline has been digging in a garden. To be totally honest, I HATE it when I go to garden and there is a huge mess there from someone else's cats. I have feral cats around my place and they cause no problem. The domestic ones seem to be the ones that upset a neighborhood. My kitties have always stayed inside, and they are fine with that, especially in the winter when the fireplace is hot!

JoNightshade
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Hmmm, I am surprised at all of these 'inside cats.' When I got my kitten on my tenth birthday, it was all I could do to keep him indoors from day one. And we did keep him in until he was old enough to defend himself... it was difficult, though! If he wasn't trying to jump out the door every time it opened, he had his nose pressed up against the window meowing piteously. I guess I just imagined most cats are like that. There are a lot of people in our complex who have cats, and I always feel bad for them because I see them sitting on the window sills staring outside.

Anyway, my husband is allergic to cats, which is why we need one to be mostly-outside. And we can't do that our apartment. :(

Azraelsbane
10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Actually, when we adopted ours, we had to answer a questionnaire, and they wouldn't adopt to us if we said we were going to let our cat be an outside cat. They consider it too much of a hazard. :)

totidem_verbis
10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I have two cats as well: a gray tabby and an orange and white tabby. Both were strays that we rescued. We live in a heavily wooded area and I think the cats were kitty-dumped.

We keep them indoors but the orange and white one likes to dart though open doors and bring back #$%%^$ fleas.

I would like to get a Savannah cat. They look cool. No sure if we're allowed to have them in PA. I think they might quality as an exotic/wild animal.

larocca
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM

They are very easy to find, my dear. I just posted something about that on another thread, in fact. Kittens are everywhere. Scoop 'em up and give 'em cuddles. I'm looking at one right now. He loves to bury his face in my beard and rub around for a scratch. Weirdo.

P.S. I only rescue homeless stray types. Buying kittens who are bred for resale is just wrong. Dogs too. Mutts rule!

Azraelsbane
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
P.S. I only rescue homeless stray types. Buying kittens who are bred for resale is just wrong. Dogs too. Mutts rule!

My family has bred Yorkshire Terriers for years. Should I be offended? ;)

larocca
10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Okay, Yorkies are cool, and not just because of that scene in A FISH CALLED WANDA.

Sunkissed27f
10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I had 3. I lost one, Thursday will be 2 weeks ago.
I am getting a kitten this week, though!

This is Peaches...the oldest & a male!! He is an EVIL kitty!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/SamNBud/l_a00fc250ef1900c4fc41ae1ceee4ef8e.jpg

Sunkissed27f
10-01-2007, 09:50 PM
This is my fave little girl Rocky. R.I.P
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/SamNBud/m_f7739a452f46a7d0adecb43baec43380.jpg

And this little manx is Jazz aka Jazmine. (w/a z)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/SamNBud/l_6a43dd47a097529273ad047f29ee0ec1.jpg
She is a manx with 1 blue and 1 green/gold eye.

Sunkissed27f
10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry the pic's are big...I honestly didn't want to resize them.

To prove Peaches is EVIL....look at this pic!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/SamNBud/l_a27f2f615e98fede1a37edd4f15bd9ea.jpg

ajkjd01
10-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Evil Fat Cuteness In Training
This is my fuzzy one at six months old.

See my photobucket account...

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k89/mageygoodness/

Angie
10-02-2007, 04:19 AM
HERE'S MY CAT!

http://www.shawnolson.net/media/1_1114_1.jpg

That's the most beautifulest cat I've ever seen.

Susie
10-02-2007, 05:46 AM
I have a kitty now whose name is Squeakers and a duck whose name is Quackers! <(see av!) They're great pets and I don't have to feed 'em or walk 'em or pet 'em. :D Luv your pics, guys!

shakeysix
10-02-2007, 06:17 AM
molly is my jack russell and scout is my "under the trailer trash" kitty. we found her when she was only weeks old. she was under our trailer. my daughter and i lived in school housing in those days. i had to sell our house after my husband died and move to a smaller town, where i had a teaching job. it was a sad summer. one day, just before school started, we could hear a kitten crying from under the trailer. it was august and hot as blazes. i kept hoping her mom, a stray, would come back for her. finally, after a couple of hours she was getting weak, could barley cry. i crawled uner the trailer and snagged her. it was spidery and snakey and icky but i did it.

anne drove the 20 miles to the nearest store and bought a basket, a box of milk replacer and a bottle. we had to feed her every hour or so because she could not keep much down. it was like having a baby. later our neighbors found three dead kittens in their shed. so the mother must have been killed, maybe by a coyote or an owl. anyway scout is now a big girl--a garden cat. anne and i both agree that things started looking upafter we found her--s6