October Blogging Challenge

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
This is the October version of the blogging challenge kick started by Lavinia

My cricket (not the insects) blog with b5media launches this October 2nd and boy am I excited.

I have the following goals for me:

1. Make at least 14 posts a week (the min. required is six)
2. Read other blogs on the topic everyday. (15 mins)
3. Read the latest news on the topic everyday. (15 mins)
4. Spend half an hour everyday learning HTML and WordPress (I know the basics but I want to have advanced knowledge of both the things.)
5. Learn cricket lingo and jargons. (30 mins everyday)

Also, to make the blog interesting, I will have a unique feature for everyday of the week. More on this later.

So, what are your blogging goals?

s_aileronbois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharonda.me
I'll play. I don't really have blogging goals, though. I end up posting every day onimpulse. But, just to make it interesting, I'll see your 14 per week, and ummm.... yeah, I can't do the other stuff, because I'm not real topic-driven.

soma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tinianow.blogspot.com
Most of my October goals involve marketing and buzz campaigning, but what if I say I'll do one post per day despite the fact I have no home internet access?

valeenc

Still Defiant!
Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to post every day, as usual. I'll try to have at least four posts on writing, at least a little bit, per week and leave the other days to my usual nattering and silliness.

:banana:

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Nice! Great to have you all!

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dash it, Spidergal. You made me think. I started a "Gratitude Monday " feature a few weeks back so maybe I'll make it my goal to keep at it in October. It's a modest goal, but I think I can do it.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Challenge: Start podcasting!

Here's one I've been thinking about for a while. I want to post a podcast. I've been researching it and think I know all the technical pieces. Record it. (I have the recorder.) Convert it. (I think I can use free software Audacity, although I had a problem the first time I tried.) And apparently Wordpress lets you upload it, so theoretically my blog is already podcast enabled.

The last step was figuring out what content to podcast. Just yesterday it occurred to me that a good place to start would be to just read my blog, and post the audio version. That way people who want to listen instead of read could get the same material.

Jerry

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
As far as blogging goes, I don't feel like I can commit to daily blogging like I did for September. I did pretty well, though, only missing three or four days total on both blogs.

What I'm doing instead is aiming for 3-5 posts per week per blog. I think that will be regular/consistent enough to maintain readers and hopefully attact new ones as well.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
My goal would be to post 4 times a week (I'm taking weekends off from blogging, and giving myself one "free day" where posting is optional.)

My other goal is to generate traffic to my blog by trading links, etc. and promoting the blog to other writers, etc. As a newbie, I just want to start to get recognized in the blog-o-sphere.

So, by the end of October, I will have a significant number of links posted on my site, have it customized a bit, and make it worthy of applying for Ad-sense. (I don't think it's worth it at this point).

I will also launch a second blog, having to do with paintball.

Dawn

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

2/14 posts for this week made.

But I have yet to get started on the "learning" part.

Traffic last day: 905 page views. (Not bad) Blog launches today, so that should improve.

How's everyone else doing?

musilian

Registered
Reaction score
my goal is to get comments and guest bloggers.

posting everyday is cool, but what matters most is that my posts are thoughtful, readable and interesting enough that they incite reader comments and forwarding. honestly, i think if i posted everyday it would get pretty blah.

valeenc

Still Defiant!
Registered
Reaction score
my goal is to get comments and guest bloggers.

posting everyday is cool, but what matters most is that my posts are thoughtful, readable and interesting enough that they incite reader comments and forwarding. honestly, i think if i posted everyday it would get pretty blah.

You might want to post your blog URL in your sig line in here, musilian. Also I find that the more I read other people's blogs and make comments that are pertinent to their posts, the more readers and comments I get in my blog.

What is your blog about? You might put that in your sig line too.

valeenc

Still Defiant!
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

2/14 posts for this week made.

But I have yet to get started on the "learning" part.

Traffic last day: 905 page views. (Not bad) Blog launches today, so that should improve.

Gad. I can't imagine getting that many readers to my blog in a day.

I'm apparently doing two shorter posts a day for October so far. Granted, who knows what tomorrow will bring...

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
6/14 Now I have gotta make 8 posts in the next three days!

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
9/14 posts so far. er, well, I will have to make 5 posts tomorrow to meet my weekly goal.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this Spidey- My goal is to post 25 times. Though I didn't make my goal of posting every single day in September, I did post far more than I would have. And the success is in the numbers. I more than doubled my hits during September. I do believe that it's best to do it every day. And I'm amazed at the random thoughts that just keep presenting themselves to me. So I blog, blog, blog.

Glad you started this Spidergal. I love that people are stepping up their blogs in interesting ways.

Musilian- You can get quite a bit of traffic (and comments hopefully) by putting the link to your blog in your signature line. I have a traffic tracker and can tell where everyone comes from and many come from right here at AW.

I will also try to at least visit each of your blogs once this month, and I'll possibly leave a comment too.

Good luck everyone!

Karen

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh! How did this thread get so low? I posted a blog on reading my grandmother's 1946 diary. How about you?

Karen

valeenc

Still Defiant!
Registered
Reaction score
I use http://statcounter.com/ to keep track. I'm happy with it and it's free unless you want to keep track of more than your most recent 500 hits. Just make sure you fix it so it doesn't record your hits so you have an accurate count.

Karen, I'm headed to your blog now. I'm intrigued by you reading your grandmother's diary.

And I've been posting every day. Today's is meh, but tomorrow's will make up for it.

:e2cat: :banana:

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try to write at least a blog a day, but also read more sites. I've gone through a lot of the AW list thus far and I love it. I also want to learn more about increasing actual readership as opposed to people just clicking on my site for points. Perhaps that means I need to work more on my content... :Hug2: