PDA

View Full Version : Do you track your hours

wenwriter
10-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Regardless of whether you are charging by the hour or by the project, I think it makes a lot of sense to track the number of hours you spend on a project. If you do that, then you know if you are over- or under-estimating hours when you have to make estimates for future projects.

So that said, do you track your time spent on projects? How do you track it (meaning to you use a software tool, or just look at the clock)?

dahmnait
11-03-2007, 04:10 AM
I try to track all my hours, unfortunately I don't always succeed. I keep a log book with me at all times and try to stay in the habit of writing down start and end times with a quick notation of client and project. I also created a database to enter my time per client, per project, along with project notes. This database helps when estimating other projects, since I have the actual time spent on each type of project.

Jeff Colburn
11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I track my hours using Excel. Just the date and hours worked on that day.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Good Word
11-05-2007, 03:38 AM
I note it in my invoicing software, right on the invoice, then just delete all the notes and leave the total when it's invoicing time.

pattyh
02-23-2008, 02:39 AM
I track my hours in my Outlook calendar because it helps me reach my daily goal of hours/production dollars. Most of my clients pay by the hour now, but even if I'm working on something that's a fee-for-project, I'll still post my hours for the day in Outlook and assign an estimated dollar value so I'll know where I'm at with my productivity.