The ends! (let's talk about the ends of stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

huxley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Stephane, I'm new. i think this is a really great forum.

I would like to start a sharing of ideas. I wanted to talk about the different possibilities of the END of stories.

We could post the different types of endings we've seen in films or books. we could learn more about the possible endings that we could create in our writing.

Storytelling education.

I'll start: A showdown ending: the good guy faces off against the bad guy.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
First, welcome.

The good guy/bad guy or protagonist/antagonist ending is the archetypal ending. I think, though, you mean an actual physical confrontation. It works pretty well for certain types of stories. My favorite kind of ending, though, is just one that ties all the story threads together yet leaves some mystery. I like having some endings open to interpretation.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
A nice trick is to get it to mirror the first scene, possibly with a different outcome.

JD

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
The "it was all an illusion" ending.

Think Dennis Lehane's superb Shutter Island.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Books have endings? Dang. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Seriously, I like my books to end in such a way that the world seems to continue on, that the characters lives (those still left alive) continue and that we've just seen one episode or one part of a much larger picture.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Similar to Birol, I like endings that hint at a new beginning, but don't give me the details. IE, I don't want to know "So and so grew up and became a computer salesman, married, and had three kids."

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
My ending is skewed/cyclical. It's like Jan Darby suggested, except more of an ellipse than a circle ;)

Also I have a problem with ending the things I'm working on now, as I'm on a series arc. If my first book in the series ever gets published/popular I'm going to kick and scream (well, maybe not kick), until they let me keep my cliffhanger ending for book 2 ;)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's the "circle back to the beginning and everything has changed" ending.

The "closure" ending (for both the characters and the readers).

The "new beginning" ending.

(of course, the "all of the above" ending. :D )

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I like ending it echoing the beginning too. It doesn't have to be completely similar (hopefully things have changed during the course of the novel, right?) but something that reminds the audience of where they started. Usually mine have a dialogue-related call-back to the beginning, but in my current WIP, it's partially the setting, & partially the situation (& how the MC has grown regarding that similar situation).

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
I like to end my stories with my characters not getting what they wanted (or thought they wanted) but feeling optimistic that they can still forge a new path that will bring them happiness.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It depends on the story. One novel I'm working on has Birol's described ending, with the world -- and its problems -- continuing onward.

But the other one I'm working on will wrap up all neat and tidy, happily ever after. I like that ending too. It's like getting told a good story which ends and leaves you feeling happier about your day. So that's okay too.

And of course, depending on how tired I am, my favorite ending is mid-sentence. Such as this:

"oh Rllgthunder, but you know that my love for you is forbidden!" Birol exclaimed and SUDDENLY THE ZOMBIES ROSE UP AND ATE EVERY DAMN BODY JUST BEFORE THE WORLD EXPLODED THE END

I like that too.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My most recent ending was written in the same fashion as two of my favourite books: GREAT EXPECTATIONS and FEAST OF ALL SAINTS. The end is the beginning...the reader, hopefully, is left feeling like the story is just beginning...that the journey took the narrator to the beginning of his life...a new place where he can start over and follow his bliss.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My most recent ending was written in the same fashion as two of my favourite books: GREAT EXPECTATIONS and FEAST OF ALL SAINTS. The end is the beginning...the reader, hopefully, is left feeling like the story is just beginning...that the journey took the narrator to the beginning of his life...a new place where he can start over and follow his bliss.

That's the ending of my novel -- the "world" of the main story comes to an end... the main characters return to where they started, and the ending signifies a new beginning (and the world continues for everyone else). I like that, a lot.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's the ending of my novel -- the "world" of the main story comes to an end... the main characters return to where they started, and the ending signifies a new beginning (and the world continues for everyone else). I like that, a lot.

Yeah...it's the kind of ending that makes me cry. Every time I read SAINTS I get all choked up as Marcel walks away into the new future he struggled so hard to find. Fantastic ending.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like books that end on the climax. I like the climax to be followed by a denouement. I like to see the world after the climax and how the characters' lives continue.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score

Which is how my current one ends as well.

My favorite kind of ending.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always end with the promise of more - conclude the important plot issues, but leave the characters/world open for a sequel.

One of these days, though, I'm gonna write one where humanity gets wiped out and aliens own the Earth. Kinda like AW, only with lasers.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I hate that ending. That's why Matrix 3 sucked.

Or the "just before they go off into happiness the hero dies unnecessarily so the readers are forced to cry a good cry" ending. I hate that so much. (I won't give spoilers, but there is a number of "romantic" novels that favor this ending)

Status
Not open for further replies.