Upcoming Science Fiction Novel Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
This upcoming book I'm working on will be a sequel to my first book. The sequel will improve upon all aspects of the original. Here are a few spoilers to perk your interest:

-Two species of aliens, one good, one enslaved by a higher power.
-The villain was born from the energies released by the Big Bang, though he doesn't actually take on a physical form till long afterward. Because of the energy in his body, he's immortal and very powerful.
-A planet is destroyed in the prologue, but an escaping craft uses DNA from the fallen and destroyed species to reproduce it on another planet. These are the good aliens mentioned above.
-Some of the major characters will be internally conflicted as well as externally, overcoming them by the climax. One is traumatized by a tragedy in the past and is emotionally scarred, is afraid of losing those closest to him, and that he must make find inner peace. His wife, the major female lead, must help him through his crisis with the power of love while holding together their family in his depression. Another who was once a former soldier is now fighting for something worthwhile while also making peace with his past. A major extraterrestrial protagonist fears the villain's power, but knows that he and his people must face it to save the universe. A secondary major extraterrestrial character must forge his own destiny and break free from a life of slavery.
-There will be an expedition to the villain's homeworld, his castle is set upon a rocky island within a great valley filled with an ocean of magma.
-There will be a visit to the homeworld of the good aliens.
-Some backstories involving the three major human protagonists, including the tragic past of the first, his relationship with his wife, and the events of the soldier leading up to how he became who he is.
-The villain creates a new prototype of life with which he plans to use to change the population of the universe into his mindless servants.
-The villain commands a great warship where the final climax takes place, both outside and inside, hovering above the Earth in space.
-The villain visits Earth and wrecks havoc.
-The villain almost destroys the entire universe.

Basically, this book will have plenty of action, plot, and excitement, as well as leaving plenty of room for emotional character development.

I've done my research and changed many things in the book to make it more interesting and make sense in the field of science. After all, this is science fiction.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
this is a science fiction, not a fantasy. Of course there's no female knight!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
this is a science fiction, not a fantasy. Of course there's no female knight!

If the villain has a castle, he can have a female knight as well. In fact, I think he should. She could redeem him from his evil with the power of her goodness and love. And that way, your novel could have plenty of romance as well as "plenty of action, plot, and excitement".

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Dwayne, I admit, I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with this thread. Unless you are King/Grisham/Patterson/"insert name of bestselling author here" it's very difficult to garner interest in an unwritten book.

Write it, edit it, sell it, and then promote it.

Unless your purpose is comments on your story, in which case I suggest you try posting the synopsis in Share Your Work.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
It's important not to brainstorm into a message board post, by the way.

Brainstorm into your notepad, excel spreadsheet, or word document. Bottle up your excitement to get work done on your book.

Spilling it all here is just not as useful until you're finished with it.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Dwayne? You're trying too hard.

In my experience, when you sit down at your computer thinking, "I am going to create a Great Science Fiction Epic," it doesn't work. You get too concentrated on making things big enough. "An ordinary villain won't do; he has to be an immortal born from the Very Fabric of the Universe!" "An ordinary castle (or boardroom, or skyscraper) won't do; put in a Sea of Lava!" And lots of capital letters, in the worst examples. You end up sounding like you got drunk on Star Wars while smoking Xenosaga.

There is a reason why photographers in war zones seek out the small shots. An abandoned doll. A crying woman. A kid soldier trying really hard not to cry as someone bandages up his hand. There is so much power in the small things. Never, ever try to make a story big just for bigness's sake.

Izunya

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Now this thread appears both here and in SYW.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, Dwayne?

Just write your novel. If it is any good, you will get plenty of attention. And not the kind of attention you are getting here by jumping up and down.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
it already has been written. Now I'm editting and proofreading it.

Not everything is big in the story. Besides, I'm just trying to make it interesting and exciting. But there are a few little things in the story too.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Izunya makes a terrific point about story scope; it is advice to heed.

Dwayne, since you have reposted this in SYW for feedback, I'm closing this one. No sense in having duplicate threads running amok.

Status
Not open for further replies.