PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal Question

brokenfingers
09-30-2007, 01:36 AM
I must confess I'm intrigued by this whole Mac thing. I keep hearing about how great they are etc.

Like any other PC user, I've had my run-ins with these 'Maccees" and whenever I discover someone I know is actually using one of these things, I look at them like "But you seemed so... so... normal."

So I'm curious as to what percentage of the members here use Windows and Macs.

This way I know who to associate with from now on. ;)

maestrowork
09-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Where is Orlando Bloom?

Voyager
09-30-2007, 01:40 AM
The eternal answer: No, I'm just naturally bitchy

brokenfingers
09-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Where is Orlando Bloom?D'oh!! How could I have forgotten that?!?

Oh well, he counts as "Another lame OS".

rhymegirl
09-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Macs rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No viruses. No problems. Lots of features. Love those Mac commercials. Even like that guy who plays the "Mac."

TrainofThought
09-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Windows. I don't like limitations.

Thump
09-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Love the Mac commercials but Mac computers are so not user friendly IMO >_< I like my little windows icons and everything being stupid-friendly. It's so obvious. I've had to use macs a couple of times and it took me forever to figure where stuff was.

brokenfingers
09-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Mac users remind me of some short people I know. Obviously lesser in stature but very loud and aggressive to make up for it. :D

writerterri
09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Someone's using Mac?

dclary
09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
My experience has been: whichever one you used first is most often the one you love best. I've used both extensively, and for most part prefer the PC. However, I think integrating linux into the mac OS was the smartest thing evah and wouldn't say no to owning a mac, as long as I was allowed to have more than one button on my mouse.

But I'm still a PC guy.

JoNightshade
09-30-2007, 02:00 AM
I was introduced to Macs and PCs simultaneously as a child and I developed an instant an abiding hatred for Macs. :) Later, when the iBook came out and I was in college, it was a nice, cheap, warrantied laptop so I got it. I can't tell you how many times I had to take that thing into the shop to get it worked on. Nothing hardware related, just weird weird stuff it would do. Like suddenly all menu drop-downs would disappear.

Anyway, I've always liked how with PCs and particularly windows, you can open up all of the files that actually run the computer and fiddle with them. As a kid I solved most of my PC problems this way.

It's just not possible to do that with a Mac, and it always pissed me off. What, you think I'm too stupid or not responsible enough to fiddle with my own OS? :) I also find the OS just counter-intuitive.

rhymegirl
09-30-2007, 02:05 AM
"Hi, I'm a MAC."

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/rhymegirl/macguy.jpg

DamaNegra
09-30-2007, 02:09 AM
I don't LOVE PC. I just... use it. It's a computer. As long as it works, I'm happy.

Del
09-30-2007, 02:15 AM
VIC 20

Angie
09-30-2007, 02:40 AM
I suppose, since there's no Orlando Bloom or Joaquin Phoenix covered in chocolate, that I'll have to go with Windows. Though I have used and liked Mac; it's just that I'm cheap and PCs are way less expensive.

maestrowork
09-30-2007, 02:51 AM
I was allowed to have more than one button on my mouse.

Psst, your PC mouse will work on a Mac.

/end commercial/

brokenfingers
09-30-2007, 02:53 AM
Psst, your PC mouse will work on a Mac.

/end commercial/Hey! Cut it out, cultist!

maestrowork
09-30-2007, 02:54 AM
It's just not possible to do that with a Mac, and it always pissed me off. What, you think I'm too stupid or not responsible enough to fiddle with my own OS? :) I also find the OS just counter-intuitive.

Actually you can go under the hood with the Mac. But anyway, my early impression of the Mac wasn't great either, until OSX came out and then the Intel Macs... so my question is, what do you think is counter-intuitive about the Mac? I've been a PC user since Windows 3.0 and I don't find the Mac difficult to adjust to at all. After a bit, I find it totally pleasurable to use. So I'm just curious about your take on it.

maestrowork
09-30-2007, 02:54 AM
Hey! Cut it out, cultist!

You're just jealous.

Azraelsbane
09-30-2007, 02:56 AM
I'm a PC lover turned Macolyte (as I call them). Dual booting Windows ftw! ;)

maestrowork
09-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Have you tried Parellels Desktop? It's slower, but I love the fact that I can run both Windows and Mac on the same desktop and just drag and drop files, and they both share the same devices. Really cool. Parallels even runs PC games -- slower than native mode, of course. For speed, I'd usually just boot to Windows.

brokenfingers
09-30-2007, 02:58 AM
You're just jealous.No! Stop! Stop staring at me with those Maccie eyes and that Maccie smile! I...won't...be...brainwashed!

stormie
09-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Never even touched a Mac. Except the Big Mac at McDonald's. *stormie goes back to her schnapps.*

I've used some form of Windows for years, ever since Windows 3.0 (I think that's what it was called.) If my computer wasn't protected from viruses or adware/spyware due to Norton or MacAfee (or me being lazy) and not doing it's job, then I had to reformat the PC's hard drive. I find PCs to work great as long as I scan disk, clean up the drive, virus scan (avast! is great), use two spyware programs, I don't have a problem. And I guess that would matter with a Mac, too.

Izunya
09-30-2007, 03:23 AM
I use a Mac. I'll let others debate the more technical points, but I like it because it doesn't throw snit fits like some computers I have known. My needs are pretty simple, anyway. I have the technical skills of a box of rocks---a small box of rocks---so I have no real interest in popping things open and taking them apart. Give me a usable word-processing program (meaning one without any demonic paper clips I have to hunt down and kill) a program that surfs the net without being in any way AOL, and maybe Heroes of Might and Magic III, and I'm happy.

Izunya

brokenfingers
09-30-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm so glad we can all come here and mingle and talk it out like reasonable human beings. *sniff!*

Its... it's...*sob* so beautiful! *closes eyes against tears*

I'm glad none of the usual troublemakers came in and started any problems.

(By the way, has anyone seen Robeiae lately?...)

totidem_verbis
09-30-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm a PC girl during business hours and a Mac woman on nights and weekends :e2brows:

rhymegirl
09-30-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm a troublemaker. I tried to start problems.

Angie
09-30-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm glad none of the usual troublemakers came in and started any problems.

Shut up, nerd.

*throws a pie at BF*

*runs away cackling*

Angie
09-30-2007, 04:02 AM
I'm a troublemaker. I tried to start problems.

How scary is it that we keep showing up at the same time? Scary for everyone else, I mean. http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/devil.gif http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/devil.jpg

san_remo_ave
09-30-2007, 04:02 AM
This poll is difficult to answer. It asks "What type of PC do you use" but the answers are about type of operating systems. Why do I mention this? Because I could only pick one answer. You see, for PCs (personal computers) I use an IBM PC and an Apple PC. However, I use both Windows and Mac OSX for operating systems.

Heck, I use both Windows and OSX just on my Apple iMac.... ;)

rhymegirl
09-30-2007, 04:04 AM
How scary is it that we keep showing up at the same time? Scary for everyone else, I mean. http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/devil.gif http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/devil.jpg

Hmmm...yes.

Whose body shall we inhabit this time?

Angie
09-30-2007, 04:05 AM
I dunno...who needs to be possessed tonight?

ETA: Not little bug-eyed dogs, though. He was BORING.

rhymegirl
09-30-2007, 04:09 AM
I dunno...who needs to be possessed tonight?

ETA: Not little bug-eyed dogs, though. He was BORING.

Yessssssss....who indeed?

We did RT, we did Haggis. Hmmmmmmm....

Rolling Thunder
09-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Yessssssss....who indeed?

We did RT, we did Haggis. Hmmmmmmm....

Mac. Do Mac. :D

maestrowork
09-30-2007, 05:35 AM
There's no multiple selection... my actual answer has to be all of the above. My main PC is the MacBook. But I use Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

billythrilly7th
09-30-2007, 06:15 AM
I must confess I'm intrigued by this whole Mac thing. I keep hearing about how great they are etc.

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

Magdalen
09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Both. I didn't vote because I couldn't vote for both.

ErylRavenwell
09-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Mac OS is such a joke.

Bill Gates rules, anyway. The man saves thousands of lives everyday.

wood pixie
10-01-2007, 12:30 AM
I agree with Billy.

Had a Mac at home. My laptop is a Sony Vaio and we have Vista on it.

But whenever we get another computer laptop or for the home, going back to the Mac.

But I'm glad I'm experienced on both and got to compare for myself.

DamaNegra
10-01-2007, 01:16 AM
But anyway, my early impression of the Mac wasn't great either, until OSX came out and then the Intel Macs

An old Mac was actually the first computer I ever kicked. A PC was the second. The difference? The PC started working after I kicked it and the Mac didn't. :D

KTC
10-01-2007, 01:18 AM
I don't like change. I started with windows, I'll end with windows. But, truth be told, the Mac commercials are making me envious.

JLCwrites
10-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Started out on a Apple IIC. (Remember those big floppys?) Switched to PC for many, many years. Now back on Mac... I love my MacLappy! We still keep a Sony PC as our media center and main server. But we each have our own MacLappys on wireless.

Old Macs :Hammer:

New Macs :e2BIC:

MattW
10-01-2007, 03:16 AM
I remember the Macs we had in physics labs so many years ago, and playing risk in b&w, and loading simpsons sounds over the mac "quack"

I've been considering a switch, at least for my wife's laptop, but we're too connected to our jobs that use Windows.