The Eternal Question

Which Type of PC Do You Use?

• Total voters

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I must confess I'm intrigued by this whole Mac thing. I keep hearing about how great they are etc.

Like any other PC user, I've had my run-ins with these 'Maccees" and whenever I discover someone I know is actually using one of these things, I look at them like "But you seemed so... so... normal."

So I'm curious as to what percentage of the members here use Windows and Macs.

This way I know who to associate with from now on. ;)

Last edited:

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
The eternal answer: No, I'm just naturally bitchy

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Macs rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No viruses. No problems. Lots of features. Love those Mac commercials. Even like that guy who plays the "Mac."

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Love the Mac commercials but Mac computers are so not user friendly IMO >_< I like my little windows icons and everything being stupid-friendly. It's so obvious. I've had to use macs a couple of times and it took me forever to figure where stuff was.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Mac users remind me of some short people I know. Obviously lesser in stature but very loud and aggressive to make up for it. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My experience has been: whichever one you used first is most often the one you love best. I've used both extensively, and for most part prefer the PC. However, I think integrating linux into the mac OS was the smartest thing evah and wouldn't say no to owning a mac, as long as I was allowed to have more than one button on my mouse.

But I'm still a PC guy.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I was introduced to Macs and PCs simultaneously as a child and I developed an instant an abiding hatred for Macs. :) Later, when the iBook came out and I was in college, it was a nice, cheap, warrantied laptop so I got it. I can't tell you how many times I had to take that thing into the shop to get it worked on. Nothing hardware related, just weird weird stuff it would do. Like suddenly all menu drop-downs would disappear.

Anyway, I've always liked how with PCs and particularly windows, you can open up all of the files that actually run the computer and fiddle with them. As a kid I solved most of my PC problems this way.

It's just not possible to do that with a Mac, and it always pissed me off. What, you think I'm too stupid or not responsible enough to fiddle with my own OS? :) I also find the OS just counter-intuitive.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Hi, I'm a MAC."

macguy.jpg

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I suppose, since there's no Orlando Bloom or Joaquin Phoenix covered in chocolate, that I'll have to go with Windows. Though I have used and liked Mac; it's just that I'm cheap and PCs are way less expensive.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's just not possible to do that with a Mac, and it always pissed me off. What, you think I'm too stupid or not responsible enough to fiddle with my own OS? :) I also find the OS just counter-intuitive.

Actually you can go under the hood with the Mac. But anyway, my early impression of the Mac wasn't great either, until OSX came out and then the Intel Macs... so my question is, what do you think is counter-intuitive about the Mac? I've been a PC user since Windows 3.0 and I don't find the Mac difficult to adjust to at all. After a bit, I find it totally pleasurable to use. So I'm just curious about your take on it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Have you tried Parellels Desktop? It's slower, but I love the fact that I can run both Windows and Mac on the same desktop and just drag and drop files, and they both share the same devices. Really cool. Parallels even runs PC games -- slower than native mode, of course. For speed, I'd usually just boot to Windows.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Never even touched a Mac. Except the Big Mac at McDonald's. *stormie goes back to her schnapps.*

I've used some form of Windows for years, ever since Windows 3.0 (I think that's what it was called.) If my computer wasn't protected from viruses or adware/spyware due to Norton or MacAfee (or me being lazy) and not doing it's job, then I had to reformat the PC's hard drive. I find PCs to work great as long as I scan disk, clean up the drive, virus scan (avast! is great), use two spyware programs, I don't have a problem. And I guess that would matter with a Mac, too.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
I use a Mac. I'll let others debate the more technical points, but I like it because it doesn't throw snit fits like some computers I have known. My needs are pretty simple, anyway. I have the technical skills of a box of rocks---a small box of rocks---so I have no real interest in popping things open and taking them apart. Give me a usable word-processing program (meaning one without any demonic paper clips I have to hunt down and kill) a program that surfs the net without being in any way AOL, and maybe Heroes of Might and Magic III, and I'm happy.

Izunya

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad we can all come here and mingle and talk it out like reasonable human beings. *sniff!*

Its... it's...*sob* so beautiful! *closes eyes against tears*

I'm glad none of the usual troublemakers came in and started any problems.

(By the way, has anyone seen Robeiae lately?...)