Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
New Faces--Check in!

Wow--it's great to see so many new faces here. How about taking a few minutes to tell us all about yourself: What you write, favorite authors, etc...

And while we're at it, if anyone has suggestions--this room tends to be fairly small, and that gives us a lot of flexibility.

Are you interested in forming crit groups, for instance?

Would you like to be able to workshop pieces?

Are you more interested in short fiction, non-fiction, novels, etc?

Let me know what you guys would like to do with this space. Tell your friends about it. I'm glad you're here.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, MacAllister. I'm one of your newbies. I've been on AW for several months...was scammed by PA and went to the long PA thread to get some self-respect back.

I love horror, especially (older) Stephan King. Favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe, "Quote the raven, nevermore" and all that. I don't know why I'm so drawn to horror as it doesn't scare me. Real life movies like The Day After and the movie about the bomb in the soft drink machine (can't remember the name of it right now) scare me a lot more than monsters and zombies.

What I write tends to be on the sad side. I guess you'd classify it as Southern Fiction. Woman done wrong by the man she loves.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found your group. Thanks for the warm welcome.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hiya Sara. Glad you're here! I did my master's thesis on King's Pet Sematary <geek> LOVE his older stuff.

Personally, I think horror gives voice to the shadow-self that Jung talks about, in a safe and controlled way. It also allows us a safe catharsis for our very real, very personal, terrors. That's a powerful tool.

PA scams good, bad, and mediocre writers alike. God knows, depending on the day, we're ALL good, bad, and mediocre writers.

Don't feel bad, and don't feel alone. Your thing is writing, not seeing through the con-artists in the world. I'm glad you haven't let them take the writing away from you.

Mac

Last edited:

DiscoDan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm also new.. just discovered absolutelwrite about a week ago and browsed the old forums a bit, but decided to come out of hiding with this new site.

I'm not sure why I love horror, I got inspired early with R. L. Stine's Goosebumps, then went on to some King and Koontz, and have loved it ever since. I'm starting to read more diverse genres now though.

I'd love to write a novel someday, but so far I've just been trying short stories. Even they are incredibly hard, and so far I haven't finished anything really good. I'm still young though, so hopefully my short stories will count as practice for now, and maybe I'll write something wicked awesome in time.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
okay, Dan--maybe you can explain to me how someone who is young enough for the Goosebumps and R.L. Stine books ALSO happens to remember disco?

Heh.

Short stuff is incredibly hard. Lots of writers of novels can't do short fiction at all...and vice versa.

Glad you're here, DiscoDan! Welcome aboard.

DiscoDan

Registered
Reaction score
lol DiscoDan was a nickname I've had for a long time.. and so to make remembering my login name easy i just use it for everything. I don't remember disco :(.. but I'm thinkin' that's a good thing ;)

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Hiya Sara. Glad you're here! I did my master's thesis on King's Pet Sematary <geek> LOVE his older stuff.

Personally, I think horror gives voice to the shadow-self that Jung talks about, in a safe and controlled way. It also allows us a safe catharsis for our very real, very personal, terrors. That's a powerful tool.

PA scams good, bad, and mediocre writers alike. God knows, depending on the day, we're ALL good, bad, and mediocre writers.

Don't feel bad, and don't feel alone. Your thing is writing, not seeing through the con-artists in the world. I'm glad you haven't let them take the writing away from you.

Mac

Well, that explains a LOT. When I was so terribly hooked on King, I was living in my own very real, very personal terror. Since I've escaped that situation I find I'm reading less horror.

King will always be #1 with me though. His books took me away from that terror for hours at the time until I was strong enough to get out on my own.

Thanks, MacAllister!

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy. I've been a lurker at Absolute Write for quite a long time, but realized that talking about horror to my mailman was pretty unfulfilling so decided to actually register.

I write short fiction horror mostly, though a bit of fantasy and science fiction (under pseudonyms). I have several novels planned out, but I had read that mastering the short story form helps you write a better novel, helping you focus on pacing and removing extraneous material. While I obviously don't know if that is actually true, I have so many short story ideas that it hasn't exactly been a problem yet. ;)

I have been writing for about 12 years, starting in my mid-twenties. I wrote 3 stories, realized that they really stunk, and put writing aside for a while. I picked up the pen (keyboard) again in 1997, wrote 5 stories, and realized that while they were better, it wasn't by much. Fast forward to two years ago. I looked at all my old stories, realized how I could make each one, if not great, good. Even better, the new stories I started writing seemed fresh, and interesting. So I haven't stopped yet.

It's interesting to look at all the old stories, even the ones I've improved a dozen times, and realize 'man, I should never have done that, it would work much better if I...'. The advantage to my goofy system is I can look at the older stuff and get a real sense of perspective, a sense of improving in my writing and storytelling skills. The disadvantage is wanting to go back to 'fix' the old stuff (that hasn't been submitted yet). What I decided to do was put everything through a final edit, put it in a folder called Done, and submit. Rather than obsessing over the old stuff, I think it's better to let it sink or swim on its own and move on to fresher material.

Favorite authors... I have quite a few, though I prefer some moreso than others. Skipp and Spector, Joe Lansdale, Ed Lee, Richard Matheson, Mort Castle are all great, and I wish Philip Nutman and David Whitman would write more. I prefer horror that has a tinge of humor or despair or preferably both; Stephen King's The Mist for example.

I spent a few years navel gazing with crit groups, and while I know they are great places for many writers, personally I have trouble seperating out the conflicting advice. Of course, this was in groups where the writers wrote mostly fantasy and science fiction, so perhaps a horror writer group would be a different kettle of fish.

Well, I suppose that's enough of my rambling. Thanks for having me.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
glad you're here, Mark!

King's short-stories are often largely overlooked in favor of his novels, I think. And it's a darn shame, because he really is a masterful short-story writer.

The whole process of becoming a better writer is rewarding, although I know exactly what you mean when you talk about looking back on old stuff. Heh--I just hope I never look back a few years and think, "wow--I used to be pretty good...what happened?!"

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Mac, I have to agree with you. While I've yet to actually finish even one of King's novels (he's a bit wordy for me), I love his short stories. No, wait. I have to take that back. I did mangage to finish The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Anyway, I'm Spooky. I've loved the horror genre since I was 11 and watched Pet Cemetary for the first time at a sleep-over. (That was many moons ago, by the by.) I prefer Koontz over King. As a pre-teen I could not get my hands on enough Christopher Pike books. I've also read the Goosebumps and RL Stine stories with my son. Everyone in my family enjoys the chills and thrills of horror...

What can I say? We're a spooky bunch.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Scottish newbie

I'm another Newbie

I'm Willie and I write Scottish based fantasy and horror.

I started writing in '91 and sold 150 short stories in the small and semi-pro genre press. Around 1999 I started getting pro sales, and moved into novel writing.

My first novel, Island Life (Barclay Books) was published in 2001.

My Watchers trilogy, where Bonnie Prince Charlie and his whole Highlander army are cast as vampires, has just been completed by Black Death Books.

I have 3 more novels coming from Black Death Books, a comic novel coming from Lions Den Studios and a low budget movie in production of one of my novels (currently being cast.). There's also an omnibus limited edition hardcover version of the Watchers trilogy coming in 2006.

I'm working on a modern day vampire novel set in Edinburgh, Scotland, while touting a crime novel to agents.

Willie
http://www.willie.meikle.btinternet.co.uk

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Willie, glad you found us!

Bonnie Prince Charlie and his vampire hordes...? Heh--that's just twisted. I love it!

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Hello McAllister and all,

I'm not new to AW, but I am recently new to the forums. Just thought I'd inch the door open here to see what might be creeping and crawling in the hallways.

I write several genres but my favorite is horror. Love Stephen King; have every one of his books, several autographed. Dean Koontz and John Saul are my other favorites.

At present, I'm editing my second horror book. The first, after too many years of collecting dust, was sent out a few weeks ago.

I hope to be around here and the rest of the forums for awhile, but if I tend to disappear now and then, it's because I've come up with another brainy idea and I'm off working it out of my head and onto the screen.

Joanne

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to AW also. Big horror fan just realizing that's what I write best. My favorite horror novel is The Lottery, Shirley Jackson. Love King, staring to read Koontz again, but my taste runs the gamut from Margaret Atwood to Willa Cather to Anne Rice. I'm actually toying with the idea of writing a horror/historical fiction story...not sure that I can pull it off.

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Blue Texas and Joanne. Glad to see you here in the dark shadows.

Blue, good luck with the horror/historical. I've found I don't have the patience for historical. But, I do love a good Anne Rice book.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:poke:...Williemeikle, i didn't notice any accent. When writting your Scottish stories do you use the thick accents? Best wishes to all you horror writers. Wish i could write them, guess i will just have to be happy reading them.

edfrzr

Registered
Reaction score
new faces--sign in

Yes, yes and yes. This is exactly what I am looking for. I would be more than happy to participate in crit groups etc.

My interests lie in fiction. I enjoy Baldacci, Sandra Brown as well as many others. I enjoy a story that keeps moving. Descriptive is Okay, but I find too much is boring and sometimes overkill. I realize that sometimes you need it to set the scene, but most of us have already made up our minds about the setting within the first few chapters.

Just let me know when and where. I'll do my best to get there.

thanks

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Welcome, Ed!

I think we're going to try some experimenting...So anyone else with ideas, just chime in! If ya'll are interested in forming writing groups, you don't need ME to facilitate, by the way--you can post your interest and see who responds. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everybody. I write in multiple genres, mostly short stories (a few published, 2 in national markets), but so many magazines buying my main interest, short suspense/mystery/thriller, have folded that very few remain, all 'softer' than my work. (I describe it as me writing "Manhunter" and they're buying "Murder, She Wrote.")

Since a small amount of my work is horror, I've been lurking a while. I've done a few vampire stories, one of which will appear in an anthology, and my current WIP is a novel that involves ghosts.

I am not well-read in current horror, but I've read the early Rice, the early King (fine short stories, usually overlooked), and others. Frankly, the little current horror I've tried leaves me underwhelmed. Not very horrific! In general, it seemed really weak on character development, so that when the character died, or went over to the dark side/became a vampire/joined the undead/whatever, I didn't care. Perhaps I just chose my sample poorly.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. I'd be interested in gathering and sharing market information and publishers' guidelines for short stories, and although I don't think I'm ready to workshop my own stuff, I'd surely participate in critique of other people's WIP.

Maryn, just this side of scary as hell

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Glad to have you, Maryn! Somewhere in here is an old thread with helpful market links--perhaps I should hunt it down and pin it back at the top. :)

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm Kevin and I'm a huge horror fan. Anything from King (#1 by the way) to Koontz, Bentley Little, Picirilli, and Laymon I will devour. Preston and Child are also quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Just thought I would stop in and say hi. I'm not new, just spend most of my time on the PA thread in an attempt to take them down.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Nice to have you, Kevin!

By the way, I noticed you'd posted a piece in SYW--hope you don't mind, but I thought it would be cool to put a link to it, here--that way we can all meander over and take a peek.

(If you DO mind, drop me a note, and I'll delete the link. :))

cheers!
Mac

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
Hey -- figured I may as well drop a post here. I'm not a newbie, exactly, just a small-time lurker.

Like just about everyone else here, I'm a big fan of Stephen King. I've only read a small chunk of the canon -- mostly the early novels and short stories (I was burrowing through Nightmares & Dreamscapes last week, but my father stole my copy; I think he took it to school with him). The stories in Night Shift beat the hell out of any of King's novels, but everything of his that I've read is good.

Also, if the forum doesn't have a Resident Lovecraft Fanatic yet, I'll gladly fill the position. 'Nuff said.

I write only short stories, and precious few of them. I can't even imagine writing a novel -- can't imagine keeping myself in one universe for that long. (I'm considering doing a 50,000-word category romance for "practice" (read: money), but that wouldn't count even if I actually went through with it.)

Eh, did I mention I'm a lurker? I'd better give the board back to the interesting people, and go back to doing what I do best.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hiya, Solatium! Glad you delurked.

I'm about to make a deep, dark, confession: *Cough!***...I've never read any Lovecraft...***Cough!*

I've recently picked up a collection...I'm gonna start reading them as soon as I get the kitchen remodeled...I swear!

Status
Not open for further replies.