Is everybody here??

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Did we lose anybody in the move??

What a nice place! Now, let's just put the parrots in that corner over there...lessee, the kitties can have this spot near the big window....hmmm....anybody else have any ideas? :)

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Here!

Hi Everyone -

Thanks Anne, I made the move without incident...

My poor basset hound has another lump on him. It's benign - but I know so much about lumps now I'm working up a query on them. And also one on making dogfood at home!

Anyone out there have advice on writing for the dog mags?

Rose

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi Rose! Glad you made it. :)

Hope your doggie will be okay. That's scary.

Don't know about writing for the dog mags, but I'd expect it's the same as for the bird mags. Get their guidelines, check out the web sites (if the magazines you're interested in have web sites), look over sample issues to see what style of writing they prefer and what topics they've covered recently. Then, if they want queries over articles, send'em a well crafted query. Or if they say it's okay to send a completed article, give it a shot! Oh, important point: find out which editor to send it to and spell their name correctly! ;)

Best wishes to your pooch. Hope he gets well soon! And best of luck with the articles. :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Anne - it looks like the slobbery beast will be just fine. My boyfriend took him out for a special birthday hike yesterday (the hound turned 10 on Feb 10) and they covered six hilly miles!

We usually drop about $1,000 on him every year for vet bills. If it's not an abscessed tooth, it's a lump or a rash. I'm still shopping a personal essay about the last time he had a lump removed...I really want this dog to earn his keep, just like your birds!

Rose

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I hear ya

Man, do I hear ya--we just dropped $1600 on our dog (lab/hound mix--gotta love the hounds!) for surgery. He ruptured his cruciate ligament. EEK. I have an article sitting around at a dog mag on this--they asked to hang on to it for a while for consideration. I am so busy that I said that is fine. When life slows down, if they haven't yet slated it, I'll shop it elsewhere . . .
I use the same approach as stated above--just like any other mag--
The one difference is that I let them know I have a dog, but don't go into a ton of detail . . . .
Good luck!
(and belly rubs to your doggie)
Cate

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score
Cate said:
Man, do I hear ya--we just dropped $1600 on our dog (lab/hound mix--gotta love the hounds!) for surgery. He ruptured his cruciate ligament.

About a year ago my dog ruptured both. Had them both repaired in the same surgery. I think my vet is still bragging about it!

I hope your dog does as well as mine. She was up and walking the next day, and quite back to normal again within a month.

Cindy

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support! Most people look at me like I'm nuts when they find out how much green gets shelled out for the dog every year. It doesn't help that I make his dog food at home and, thanks to a new allergy, am going to start baking treats for him, too.

If nothing else, there's an article in it somewhere!
Rose

PS to Cate - I hope your dog recovers quickly!

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
wow

BOTH?!
Yipes--my worst nightmare . . . did you do a traditional repair or a TPLO?
I make home-made biscuits (sp?) for my pup . . .
Cate

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score
Traditional. Winnie only weighs about 30 pounds, and the vet felt that for a dog her size, traditional was the way to go. We've had fantastic results. You'd never know she was injured. Of course we're still paying for it...but that's another story.

Cindy

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
It's good to hear that medical science is going to the dogs! I read somewhere recently that a few progressive vets allow "moms and dads" to stay overnight at the clinic when their pets have surgery. Everyone sleeps in the same room. I cheered! Then kicked myself with a classic, "Why didn't I write that?"

I know Anne writes about pets. How about you Cate and CindyBidar - have you published much in this subject area?

Rose

PS to Cate - will you share your biscuit recipe with me?

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Pets

I have only written the one thing about my dog, but I plan on doing a few more if possible. I too have heard about the overnight thing, although we don't have that in the area here yet. Would be nice, it was really hard to leave him there alone!
I'll send the recipie to you . . .
Cate

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score
How about you Cate and CindyBidar - have you published much in this subject area?

Not me. I write fiction...just wandered into this room in my excitement about the new boards. :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Cindy said:
Not me. I write fiction...just wandered into this room in my excitement about the new boards.

:ROFL: Me too!

But, it does occur to me that I know rather a lot about horses, having trained and given lessons for a living, for a number of years--and having worked as a large-animal vet tech.

So I'm happy to field questions for ppl's WIP's, if I can ever be of service.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
WAY OFF TOPIC

I saw all of your adorable pets and uploaded a picture of my dog to my profile, but he's not showing up. Anyone know why? If not, I'll post on the FA board.

Thanks for indulging a tech question,
Rose

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Note to MacAllister

I don't suppose a 50-pound basset counts as a "large animal" and you'd be willing to dispense free medical advice....

Rose

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Me again - I popped over to the FAQ board and found out I have to post 50 posts before I can post a photo.

Please ignore my lamentation in the post below.
Rose

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
I love that you call him a PUP!! He just turned 10, but still has lots of spunk!

What breed is your dog? He looks so sweet and calm.

Rose

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
ha!

CALM?!
heheheheehhehe
Calm is not in his vocab!!
He is a lab/hound/border collie mix and has the personality to prove it!
The photo is a rare moment!
heh

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all you animal lovers!

I finally made it by to say hello to the regulars here. Glad Anne has you all settled in to your wing of this fancy-schmancy new mansion of ours.

I too spend big on my kittys. Spoiled rotten little furbags that they are.
rolleyes.gif

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Spoiled rotten little furbags that they are.
rolleyes.gif

I love that! My future brother-in-law refers to my hound dog as "Foul-Smelling Furry Nasty Rudeness."

Rose

Last edited: