At what age were you first published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge A.

Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger I was a strange little boy; unlike most of my friends, I knew exactly what I wanted to be when i grew up. I've always wanted to be a writer, to write fiction. For the most part I have never deviated from this dream. So back when i was a teenager I promised myself that that I would be published by the time I was thirty. I'm 29 now. The time is coming.

My question is: For those of you who have been, at what age were you first published in print?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Good question....should be in the writers' roundtable, though.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Sounds right to me, too, KTC. Hang on to your keyboards; I'm gonna port this thread ovah!

Oh, and I was 16 or so, I think. It was a few years ago. :D

Last edited:

Jorge A.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about posting it in the other forum. Wasn't sure where it should go. Oh and for those of you who were published before they were 18: I hate you all! :p

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
First book - 51
Magazines - don't remember, but first PAYING magazine 52

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
First paid publication was in my early teens -- a poem in a university press anthology.

First novel, early twenties.

I remember it as though it were yesterday.

It wasn't. ;)

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Hunh. Depends on how you define it, I suppose. If you mean how old was I when something I wrote was published in a place where it could be read by more than just a few people, then I'd have to say I was about 18. I had a run of letters published in Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and the Outsiders and, I think, The Question. Not something I'd put on a resume, but there it is!

When I was 18, 19, 20, and 21, I was a regular writer for my college newspaper (with the third largest circulation of any newspaper in the state, believe it or not...though it was Albuquerque, so what are you gonna do?) After that, I was published in a fanzine for several years. Again, nothing to write home about, but it was a place to practice.

My first paid work was $200 bucks for a book review when I was about . . . 33 or so.

My first real book, you mean? Sold when I was 38, published when I was 40. No , I'm not old. Shut up, I am not.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
14 for a paid short story in a national magazine, heck yeah. And another one coming out in said magazine this year, and I'm 15. I'm hoping to branch out to different markets, though. *like the major book publishers, cough, cough*

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Waitwaitwait. We're talking about magazines or books? Magazines, I have no idea...I published my own 'magazine' when I was twelve and my local library gave 'em out (all 20 copies!!!)...then I had a bunch of reviews and editorials on gaming when I was about 14. Also, is this contract signing or release?

I'm thinking about this way too much :D

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I think we're talking about any paid magazine/book work, probably release.

My goal, related to age, is to at least sell my first book before I get out of high school. I hope it'll happen, and I don't think it's too far fetched, because I've gotten pretty good feedback on my work from agents. We'll see, I guess.

But if I don't meet that goal, will everyone at AW be here for me when I cry? Or will it just be a whole suck-it-up, you-are-only-eighteen-and-have-your-whole-life-ahead-of-you type of thing? Because I must admit, the second one makes more sense, but I'd prefer the first.

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I think we're talking about any paid magazine/book work, probably release.

My goal, related to age, is to at least sell my first book before I get out of high school. I hope it'll happen, and I don't think it's too far fetched, because I've gotten pretty good feedback on my work from agents. We'll see, I guess.

But if I don't meet that goal, will everyone at AW be here for me when I cry?

That was my goal, too.

Meg, don't be silly. IT WILL HAPPEN.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think we're talking about paid or at least legit print work. Otherwise, I would list my 8th grade article printed in the local newspapers... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.