• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

A Request and a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
The Request:

Beta reader would be hugely appreciated.

The person who usually beta reads for me has taken ill (it wasn't my writing, at least she swears it wasn't). We were just starting our second read-through when she got sick. She'll be out of commission for a while and I'd really like to have it gone over once more for plot holes, readability, etc.

The genre is tricky, so perhaps I can get help with pigeon holing it as well. It's part fantasy, part thriller, I suppose. There are no elves, wizards, dragons, vampires, werecreatures, but there are demons.

Parts of this novel are extremely graphic, there is sex, violence, violent sex, a tiny smidgen of man on man action, swearing and some violently inappropriate comma placement.

The history of my fantasy characters is a small part of the beginning of the novel, hardly the Silmarillion, but a bit complicated. The basic gyst of the story centers around the Mayan doomsday prophecy.

I'm not sure what else to add here, I really blow at summarizing my own work. My background is very green. I first discovered a huge passion for writing a little over two years ago. This is my second novel, the first was looked at by an agent and rejected as having poor character development. This kinda blew me away because I loved my main character, until I discovered, after much reflection, that I had fallen in love with the character in my head and failed miserably at conveying him on paper. Hopefully I've done a better job this time.

Other than that, I've won a few awards writing fanfiction.

The Question:

Is it a good idea to find a professional proofreader? My comma placement is terrible, I have a tendency to repeat words and my sentence structure can be tragic in my continuing effort to avoid writing in passive voice, beginning sentences with pronouns and avoiding the words, 'as', 'begin', etc. at all costs! Fanfic beta's really messed me up. There are a lot of betas in fanfic who like to share the editing expertise they garnered from years in 'the business' as writers of technical manuals and inserts for prescription medications.

I'm just thinking that it would be an awful lot to hope for someone willing to beta and proofread. I may have to shell out money for either or both, :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Voyager, I'm reluctant to take anything on at the moment, but your subject material isn't off-putting at bit. Where there's one, there are others, right?

If I had to pay for one or the other, I'd pay for proofreading and correction of mistakes. Far more people know writing mechanics than can tell you what isn't working and why.

Ideally, though, you'll hook up with a skilled beta who can do both. I suggest you shop for one by cruising Share Your Work's various boards. You'll see who's on your wavelength, who really knows their mechanics, who's an idea man or woman, who's a demanding nitpicker and stickler for detail, etc.

Once you've chosen a few people you think might be terrific betas, PM them. Tell them why you reached that conclusion and ask if they'd consider a trial beta run, maybe a chapter or two, to see if you and that person mesh in beta format.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Maryn. I'll go check around that forum. I did read the 'available beta' thread as well, but I'm a little shy about asking a specific person to beta. To me it seems like such a huge thing to ask, and so I thought I'd post a request and see if anyone showed interest. I will take your advice though and look around, and thanks again.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Thank you so much, Maryn. I'll go check around that forum. I did read the 'available beta' thread as well, but I'm a little shy about asking a specific person to beta. To me it seems like such a huge thing to ask, and so I thought I'd post a request and see if anyone showed interest. I will take your advice though and look around, and thanks again.

I wouldn't worry about it being such a big deal in the beta thread. If people put something there, they are very willing. That's how it works around here most of the time.

I plopped something in there because I would like to beta material, but I've found that real life often kicks me in the shins about that time, so if you need a super fast turnaround, I'll not be the gal for you.

You could post a snippet in Share Your Work for some general feedback as well.

People hang around here because they like to help and communicate with others, so don't be afraid to seek advice, learn, and share what you know with others. It's a pretty open-minded place.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tjwriter makes an excellent point. Posting your first chapter in Share Your Work might lead the perfect beta straight to you, or give you a feel for what kind of repairs need to be made before it goes to a beta, if that's the case.

The first novel I betaed (<--new verb?) for someone here, that's how we hooked up, at SYW. (The first chapter was great. So was the rest! I think it comes out in November.)

Maryn

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks tj and Maryn (again). I'm going to do that right now. I'll post the prologue and if the critique doesn't cause me to spontaneously bleed behind the eyes, I might post the first chapter later, :p. Off to read the guidelines for posting then...eek.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Aye aye, cap'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.