Former PA author new to AW

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
As most on the board, I am from PA. My book was released on August 20, and still yet, have not received my author copies. Here's what PA had to say:

Dear Ms Victory:

Thank you for sending us your contact information change. We
appreciate you providing us with such information promptly, so we can
continue to communicate about your book's progress. We have forwarded
your change of information to appropriate department, and we will be
updating our records shortly.

I am not sure of the status of your first author copy order at this
point. We know they were shipped, however obviously they did not
reach you. As far as we know you will be receiving only two author copies.

Have a good day,
Rebecca
PublishAmerica Support

So, I have finished a children's book, curious to who everyone here has been published with.

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Hopefully I can put this aweful experience behind me, and really become someone here.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Welcome to AW. You've already taken a big step away from PA by getting released. Congratulations!

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Welcome to AW. You've already taken a big step away from PA by getting released. Congratulations!

Uhhhh...she wasn't released FROM PA as I read the original post, but BY PA. As in, her book was just put out by PA in August, and she hasn't had the chance to see it yet.

That said, welcome, Victory. Hope you stick around AW and take advantage of all the great writing discussions around here. :)

:welcome:

Susan G.

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
My contract wasn't released. My book was released. I still have not received my author copies and it is now September 28th. I'm working on getting my contract back from them. I've filed with the BBB about how crappy they are. I wasn't a sucker as most PA authors are. I didn't buy any of my books to be sold out of a trunk!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Oops, my bad (not enough coffee). That being said, there's lots of great information here on how to get out of your contract. Good luck on getting your author's copies AND your rights back!

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Unfortunately the BB is useless when dealing with PA (they consider it a business-to-business transaction). Just tell PA you won't be buying any copies of your book, or promoting it in any way. Then settle in and write a new book.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Can any other ex-PAers give an idea of how long it took to get author copies? I would think you would have them before the book was released. I'm sorry you didn't get them, but this way you get to find out early that PA doesn't treat their authors right.

Welcome to AW and best of luck to you getting your book back.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, we got ours before release too.

Welcome to AW, Victory, you're gonna love it here!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:Welcome, Victory.

What are you working on now -another children's book or having a dabble in something else...? No matter which -there's a Forum here for it.

Although many exPAers are among those posting on the Board, most of the folk here are not ex-PAers but that matters for naught -we're one big family of writers leaning on or suppporting each other. Sometimes we have sober spells, too!:snoopy:

And many -myself included - are not yet published. If at first......

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . curious to who everyone here has been published with.
FWIW, my policy pieces have been published by the California Research Bureau, a policy shop in California state government. I have an occasional column in Knowledge Quest, the journal of the American Association of School Librarians (a unit of the American Library Association). And I have had a hand in bringing one book to publication by a small press (a memoir, which I helped to divert just in the nick of time, two and a half years ago, from being lost to PA), and am currently working with authors of two other books (a fantasy novel and a mystery anthology) to find a suitable publication opportunity for each.

I have PA-published friends, ranging from one who immediately regretted the error and is seeking to have the contract terminated to one who has three books with PA and is an active PA shill, and others in between, as well as a wide range of other friends and associates who have been commercially published (large and small press), self-published, or subsidy published, and some who run small presses.

--Ken

Curiouser

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from the UK!

:D Hi Victory - - - -LUV the name!!:welcome:

I too am an ex PA author - -and I can assure you that there is life after the horrendous experience!!
I am tiping this affter a glazz of wyne so I mite mak sum tipping mistooks!!
I know - -I can mail it to PA and ask them to edit it for me - -heheheheheh.
;)
Have fun here.

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my query letter for my children's book. I'm not going to p*ss it away in the wind again. So if anyone knows of a good children's agent that they have used, let me know something. I like the cooler, it's not filled with PA posers impersonating book sales.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean you have a querry letter for the book PA published? If so, you're in a contract and you can't go contacting other agents until you've been released.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Victory and :welcome:

Check out AgentQuery.com for good listings of agents.

Then cross-reference the agent with Preditors and Editors (P&E) to see if that person has a green dollar sign (which means sales) or a scam alert.

Surf the web and see what you can find about that agent. Make sure this person reps the type of thing you write.

Finally, check back here at Bewares and Background checks for further info about the agent and any specifics from folks who have dealt with him/her.

Good luck!

Victory

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean you have a querry letter for the book PA published? If so, you're in a contract and you can't go contacting other agents until you've been released.
NO! That book was a mystery that I wrote. I might be dumb for trying PA, but I'm headed in the right direction now. I finished the query to the children's book that has no stings or garbage attached to it. :hooray:

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
NO! That book was a mystery that I wrote. I might be dumb for trying PA, but I'm headed in the right direction now. I finished the query to the children's book that has no stings or garbage attached to it. :hooray:
Ok, you just had me confused. Gotcha!

Welcome!