lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
ALA's list
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm

I've read less than three dozen. Gosh.

That said...I actually pulled a book off the library shelf once and was so revulsed I considered trashing it, but took it to the counter and pointed out the ridiculous bigotry (a collection of folk songs with outrageously racist old lyrics). The next time in, I looked for the book and it was gone. I checked the catalog and the library no longer had it. Gulp. I um, er, protested a book and it vanished.
Gulp.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
ALA's list

That said...I actually pulled a book off the library shelf once and was so revulsed I considered trashing it, but took it to the counter and pointed out the ridiculous bigotry (a collection of folk songs with outrageously racist old lyrics). The next time in, I looked for the book and it was gone. I checked the catalog and the library no longer had it. Gulp. I um, er, protested a book and it vanished.
Gulp.

And another piece of history gets flushed down the toilet.

desertcomet

Registered
Reaction score
I can understand books being taken off the shelf at a school library. But at a public library it just doesn't seem to be right; even if it's something that would offend me.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I once bought a Russian-language book of jokes in Borders. It had a whole section of anti-semitic jokes. I have no doubt that if it had been in English that book would not have been on sale.

I didn't report it, but I'm still not sure that was the right decision.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Flowers for Algernon is on that list? How oh how? And why?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Flowers for Algernon is on that list? How oh how? And why?

I don't get that either. I think it's a must-read book.

I've read 40 of the books on this list--all of those I enjoyed a great deal.

Shame on anyone who reports a book and has it subsequently banned.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
How about How to Eat Fired Worms? It's certainly not a great piece of literature, but I don't remember anything offensive in it (unless, of course, you are a worm).

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I've read about 20 of them, and I can't figure out why most of them would be on that list. I echo the wtf?!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've read 7 and have an additional 3 or so on my shelf waiting to be read.

I wonder why they didn't include Lolita, Tropic of Cancer, or Lady Chatterly's Lover? All those were banned for years.

edited to add: Wait. Where's Waldo was on there? 8. I read at least 8.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I've read 33 of those, but most of them being listed as most often banned... That's ridiculous. Is this banned from public libraries, or are they including schools also? I can see several of these being much more relevant if it's talking about elementary/jr. high libraries, and I don't think the Sleeping Beauty trilogy belongs in even a high school library. ;) But if this is only public libraries, then I think it's pretty sickening.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
For anyone still thinking Shame on Me...

Opened an old book of bluegrass tunes,
saw the lyric:
n-- and a white man playing seven-up,
n won the money but afraid to pick it up
(Sadly stuck in my brain. Just blech.)
It went on and on with racist lyrics.
I didn't have it banned. I confessed to ya I thought about trashing it. I pointed out the racism to the guy at the counter.
Similar to what Priene noted, still not happy about any of it.
I don't know JR, that it's a piece of Hx down the drain. I don't know what happened to the book. I was appalled and pointed it out. Sounds like you're either appalled that I was appalled or think I should have not even said I was appalled. Neither of those sits well with me. Nor did the book sit well with me. Nor did my bitching about it sit well. It was all ick.
Just thought about the incident, seven years past, when I read the ALA bit.
Shared my thoughts.
Cheers.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I've read 33 of those, but most of them being listed as most often banned... That's ridiculous. Is this banned from public libraries, or are they including schools also? I can see several of these being much more relevant if it's talking about elementary/jr. high libraries, and I don't think the Sleeping Beauty trilogy belongs in even a high school library. ;) But if this is only public libraries, then I think it's pretty sickening.

It's overall, from what I can tell. The website lists the stats. Most seem to be parents challenging school libraries, but there were public libraries as well.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spontaneousderivation.com

saw the lyric:
I didn't have it banned. I confessed to ya I thought about trashing it. I pointed out the racism to the guy at the counter.

History is history. There are people who ban Satanist works because they don't want the devil to be talked about in those terms. Apparently.

Atheism and evolution? Taboo topics. Passages about gay or lesbian love, or even mentioning that one has leanings that way? Sinful to a large part of the US.

Those are all "obviously" bad to somebody. I'm not arguing that racism or anti-semitism is NOT bad; I certainly think it is.

But the first amendment never said "Freedom of speech is allowed... except for this list of things we think are bad".

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Addressing the questions for why certain books got banned...

Flowers for Algernon -- explicit and distasteful love scenes.
How to Eat Fried Worms -- teaching children dangerous, risky behavior
James and the Giant Peach -- count it in the pile of Dr. Seuss books that got banned for being frightening to children
Where's Waldo -- a suggestive image hidden somewhere that only a somewhat obsessed parent could see

For any book that gets banned, no matter how ludicrous, I can usually come up with a reason that someone decided it should be banned. Just think low, like snake in the grass; or terrified, like skittish deer; or insanely over-protective, like mother bears; or touchy, like irritated vipers.

My cynicism at play.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Goodness gracious.
I'm pretty well versed on all of the constitutional amendments, Ava.
Again, I didn't like anything about it. Didn't like my reaction, didn't like the racism being there. I didn't like not mentioning it and I didn't like mentioning it.

Do regret posting though, given the complete misunderstanding so many posters have had.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Addressing the questions for why certain books got banned...

Flowers for Algernon -- explicit and distasteful love scenes.

Ah. You must be referring to man/mouse love. Check dat, fo shizzle.

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Goodness gracious.

So am I, but I have to remind myself every time, and sometimes I forget.

Again, I didn't like anything about it. Didn't like my reaction, didn't like the racism being there. I didn't like not mentioning it and I didn't like mentioning it.

I didn't think you liked any of it. Plus you didn't know complaining was actually going to result in a ban--although books can be surprisingly vulnerable, based on the library.

We have all had the reactions you have had. It is natural.

Banning is another issue.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
ALA's list

Gulp.

Bridge to Terabithia?

To Kill a Mockingbird?

James and the Giant Peach?

What are they smoking when they think "oh, we should ban this"?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
For any book that gets banned, no matter how ludicrous, I can usually come up with a reason that someone decided it should be banned. Just think low, like snake in the grass; or terrified, like skittish deer; or insanely over-protective, like mother bears; or touchy, like irritated vipers.

My cynicism at play.

Oh my goodness. We should ban Bambi -- the horror that film put billions of children through.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Goodness gracious.

Do regret posting though, given the complete misunderstanding so many posters have had.
I know having the book pulled wasn't your intention.
If we are to understand history fully, we should have some knowledge of the prevalent mindset and beliefs of a culture. Only then will we see the pressures and motives of the principal participants.
Buck up little camper!

Ava Jarvis

Too stupid to know fear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah. You must be referring to man/mouse love. Check dat, fo shizzle.

Nope.

People forget about beautiful (and I personally am not being sarcastic, although others might) passages like this:

"Here," I choked, "why don't you make yourself more comfortable? Rest on my shoulder." She let me put my arm around her, but she didn't look at me. She seemed too absorbed in the music to realize what I was doing. Did she want me to hold her that way, or was she merely tolerating it? As I slipped my arm down to her waist, I felt her tremble, but still she kept staring in the direction of the orchaestra. She was pretending to be concentrating on the music so that she wouldn't have to respond to me. As long as she looked away, and listened, she could pretend that my closeness, my arms around her, were without her knowledge or concent. She wanted me to make love to her body while she kept her mind on higher things. I reached over roughly and turned her chin. "Why don't you look at me? Are you pretending I don't exist?"

"No, Charlie," she whispered. "I'm pretending _I_ don't exist."

When I touched her shoulder she stiffened and trembled, but I pulled her toward me. Then it happened. It started as a hollow buzzing in my ears... an electric saw... far away. Then the cold: arms and legs prickly, and fingers numbing. Suddenly, I had the feeling I was being watched.

A sharp switch in perception. I saw, from the point in the darkness behind a tree, the two of us lying in each other's arms.

I looked up to see a boy of fifteen or sixteen, crouching nearby. "Hey!" I shouted. As he stood up, I saw his trousers were open and he was exposed.

This is a beautiful piece of writing. But the subject matter scares some parents silly.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

saw the lyric:
Similar to what Priene noted, still not happy about any of it.
I don't know JR, that it's a piece of Hx down the drain. I don't know what happened to the book. I was appalled and pointed it out. Sounds like you're either appalled that I was appalled or think I should have not even said I was appalled. Neither of those sits well with me. Nor did the book sit well with me. Nor did my bitching about it sit well. It was all ick.
Just thought about the incident, seven years past, when I read the ALA bit.
Shared my thoughts.
Cheers.
History is about context. Obviously it wasn't considered racism at one time, it just was normal accepted behavior, or it wouldn't have been put into the book. Should we try to erase all evidence that we might have had different views in the past?

Reminds me of Disney self-censoring themselves by never again releasing "Song of the South." I remember it as a wonderful uplifting movie with great songs, but probably the Uncle Remus references made them think it racist. It was still a part of film history and a part of Americana. Now no child will ever grow up knowing where "Zipitydee doo da" came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.