PDA

View Full Version : Come over and tell me if you like what I'm doing

JennaGlatzer
02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Is it better this way, with the usernames and avatars and stuff over to the left instead of at the top of each post?

Kudra
02-13-2005, 12:36 AM
I like it better this way, Jenna. Let's see what the others say. I'm loving the forum, btw. The new features, popularity ratings, er... reputation points and smileys are all fabulous. Thank you! :Clap:

three seven
02-13-2005, 12:43 AM
I agree, the layout's good like this.
Just got to think of 50 things to say so I can get my avatar back... :Shrug:

JanaLanier
02-13-2005, 12:49 AM
:Thumbs: I like it!

Everything looks great!

Course it'll probably take me an eternity to figure out all the options, but what the heck!

Great job, Jenna!

JennaGlatzer
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks!

You can still see everyone who's viewing. It's on the main forums page at the bottom. Here, we can also see whose birthday it is. :)

three seven
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
They're now at the bottom.

Hi, by the way.:welcome:

EDIT: D'oh! Beat me!

Mistook
02-13-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm just glad I could drop the "Mr." from my previous screen name. Always wanted to go by simply "Mistook" but over at ezboard it was taken. :)

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 01:03 AM
I like the format with our names on the left, too. Perhaps it just feels more familiar, since that's how the old board was set up.

Don't you have like fifty deadlines crashing down around your ears?

JennaGlatzer
02-13-2005, 01:07 AM
:( Poor timing on my part.

I'm getting back to work any minute, really.

I think I like the familiarity of this set-up, too.

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 01:12 AM
the bunny-suit is friggin' hysterical :D

By golly, Jenna--I think you've pulled it OFF!!! The members are coming, registering, posting in a frenzy....It was smart to move the thing on a weekend. Gives most folks a chance to catch up.

JennaGlatzer
02-13-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm psyched. We've only been open here for, what, 5 hours? And more than 100 members have registered already. :snoopy:

The bunny: it's not me, in case anyone thought it was. That's Anya, possibly my favorite TV character ever, from Buffy. That's also where my old title came from ("Newly human and strangely literal").

So far, so good... knock on wood... the server hasn't exploded and no one's found any major problems. Now if I can just find a spell check option!

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 01:26 AM
I missed the whole Buffy phenom, living out in the wilds of the Great NW for so long, without satellite. My little sis was a devoted follower. I'm gonna have to break down and go get the DVDs, I can see.

Heh--yeah, it's completely rockin' in here. :D Knock on wood, re: the server...

Dawno
02-13-2005, 01:35 AM
This new forum is more like the ones I'm familiar with so I like it much better than the ezboard one. I should have spent more time reading around the ezboard forum and learned you were moving...then I could have saved my $12 membership! ah well, live and learn.

I also miss having my avatar but if it only takes 50 posts I guess I'll just have to get busy.

edit to remove a stray apostrophe...what it it with those things?

CaoPaux
02-13-2005, 01:37 AM
FWIW, I like having the stuff on the left, both for familiarity and compactness. The only glitch I've noticed is the long page lists scrolling sideways.

three seven
02-13-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm just glad I could drop the "Mr." from my previous screen name. Always wanted to go by simply "Mistook" but over at ezboard it was taken. :)
Yeah, I forgot to change mine :Smack:

detante
02-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Cool new digs, Jenna! It looks good.

- Jen

triceretops
02-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Duh, forgot that I had to register--kept trying to log in and was thrown off. Still a little confused about moving around here, but just go in.

Triceratops

Chacounne
02-13-2005, 02:11 AM
(Poking a cushion) Nice comfy digs Jenna; thanks for inviting us! :)

Chacounne

(Now to get to work on my fifty posts, Sigh! I was so close :))

wurdwise
02-13-2005, 02:30 AM
:Coffee: Now, let's see what happens. Yes, I love it, I am testing out all the options. Just got a fresh cup of coffee, cruising the board.:Trophy:

lucyishome
02-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Jenna,

I never have liked change but they say change is good. So I will get use to it. I just need a little time. It does look nice and clean though.

Anne:D

kschwitter
02-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Hi Jenna,

I do like this setup! :) How many posts until I can get an avatar? Thanks for taking care of this!

JennaGlatzer
02-13-2005, 02:52 AM
50 posts and a reputation score of 10 (which is what you start out with, so it really just means that you haven't *lost* any reputation points) until you become a "Super Member," which is when you can choose your own avatar and title and add events to the calendar.

reph
02-13-2005, 02:58 AM
Mouse-hovering on the tiny green square produces the info that a person is on a distinguished road, except for MacAl, who instead is well respected. I suppose the "reputation" ratings make these descriptions happen. What does the complete set look like? Does it run from "Will be tarred and feathered later today" to "Had better watch out before praise makes his head explode"?

JenNipps
02-13-2005, 03:04 AM
It looks good, Jenna. I agree with whoever said it was a good idea to move on a weekend. :)

And to those who changed their names...

You mean I gotta learn who you are all over again?? lol. Just kidding.

I kept my name as jyndral because 1) that's what I was known as and 2) it's my default ID for most places I join.

Actually.... #2 is the main reason I kept "jyndral."

And in case anyone is wondering... (Yeah, Yeah, I know you're not. Bear with me and pretend you were. ;) )

Jyndral is a made-up name for a character in a fantasy story I was writing and have since abandoned. Only time will tell if I start it up again.

Zane Curtis
02-13-2005, 03:08 AM
50 posts and a reputation score of 10 (which is what you start out with, so it really just means that you haven't *lost* any reputation points) until you become a "Super Member," which is when you can choose your own avatar and title and add events to the calendar.

Do I have to start my post count all over again?

<later>

Arggh! I do. Oh well. At least I'm level with everyone else now. :D

JennaGlatzer
02-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Sorry. That was the only thing that wouldn't transfer. I looked like crazy to find a new board that would be compatible with the old one so I could transfer all our archives here, and this was the only one that could do it. But none of them could import the usernames, post counts, etc.

It is kind of neat to all start out on a level playing field, though. Now maestrowork has to post like crazy to get that head start again. ;)

triceretops
02-13-2005, 03:29 AM
How do I get to my history profile--you know, the one where you can brag about how great you are? How do I get responses to my regular email inbox from threads or posts here?

Triceratops

CaoPaux
02-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Triceratops, I think you can do all that in your profile, which is the "User CP" link at the very top left of the page, on the blue bar.

reph
02-13-2005, 03:37 AM
Hello, it's me again. I've changed some of my settings so pages will load faster. I don't see photos or the smileys at the right of the typing window. (I still see signatures, which don't add much bandwidth.) I have the simplest option for posting, which may or may not allow italic or bold. Does anybody know whether I can take out other features?

Pages still have a lot of "stuff." For instance, posters' names are bigger than necessary. There are buttons and stars all over the place. Jenna, is there anything you're willing to dispense with?

Cate
02-13-2005, 03:40 AM
Boy I am getting nothing done--I am supposed to be helping my hubby clean out the fish tank.
Heh.
Cate

biotales
02-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Testing, one two three testing..... just what I need in my life right now... a frigging testing ,one two three testing... thingie... well here goes...
JUMPING IN... Hows this and of course this.

Did I pass,
whats my grade?

And does this really going to work....?

And for how long is Jenna going to put up with with?
And what about the font?
:poke:
:Soapbox:
:snoopy: HE IS BACK SNOOPY IS BACK.... WE ARE SAVED
:roll: :Headbang:
AND OF COURSE THE FINAL QUESTION.
Is this going to get me in trouble? OHHHHHHHHH yea....
Biotales....

CACTUSWENDY
02-13-2005, 04:00 AM
:Hammer:

you mean the 12.00 dollars that i just paid like 3 days ago is not good for anything?......tell me it ain't so......:Shrug:

oh well....one of them 'live and learn' thingys....

have a great day alllllllllllllllllllllllll:Ssh:

jdkiggins
02-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Jenna,

The new site is fantastic. You've done a lot of hard work with this and it's very visible.

Joanne

awatkins
02-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Wow, Jenna, this is great! :Hug2:

I just got here so I'm off to check out the features. But it's all kewl beans so far! Thanks. :)

Medievalist
02-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Hey Jenna et al

Looking good--and I know just how much work this stuff is.

Lisa

Trapped in amber
02-13-2005, 06:11 AM
It's so pretty...there's new smilies...

Thank You!

:snoopy:

Chacounne
02-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Jenna,

I just wanted to add, now that I've taken look around, that this site is much easier to read, with the new colour and the new font, than the other, and the pull down listing of the forums is much easier to sort through. I know it can't have been easy to do all of this work, (especially under deadline http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif) and I, for one, appreciate it.

Looking forward to many more years of fruitful, inspiring discussion,
Chacounne

JenNipps
02-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Nevermind me. Just finding new features. lol.

(Did ya click on someone's name yet?)

reph
02-13-2005, 06:57 AM
The current way of showing page numbers in long threads like Uncle Jim and Neverending PA looks good. It's much easier to use than what it replaced – don't have to scroll ten feet to the right to find the previous page.

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Mouse-hovering on the tiny green square produces the info that a person is on a distinguished road, except for MacAl, who instead is well respected.

I thought Mac was PURE EVIL...

p.s. I think people will have questions about reputation. It'd make people nervous (for example, someone who doesn't like them might take away reputation points from them, etc. etc.) It suddenly becomes a "Big Brother" system... on the other hand, since now you know who that reputation came from, there's no anynomity and that might prevent people to do something fishy, or people can report bad reputation behavior to the mods.

(of course, won't stop friends by giving each other rep points over and over?)

Birol
02-13-2005, 10:47 AM

Somewhere around here Jenna has said the system won't let you give rep points to the same person until you've given rep points to ten other people first. That way, you can't pad your friends scores.

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Goodie.

Reph, I think part of the reasons this board loads slower is the extra icons, graphics, and such. Even if you turn off everthing (near text mode), it seems to be loaded extra texts (when you mouse-over every thread, for example, you get a "popup" box that shows the first 100 chars or something... they all add to the HTML code to be loaded. But it shouldn't be too bad if they're just texts...

CACTUSWENDY
02-13-2005, 05:49 PM
:poke:
loving it......i wasn't sure where to post this.....sorry if in wrong spot....

would there be any chance of having a CRIME site?...I'm not sure how many of us write crime works...but they do differ from the SF and screenwriter stuff...I don't know in the Published members who might be a good Mod. on this...but i am sure you do...

(Like a spoiled kid....always want more and more....lol)

Thanks again for the neat site...am enjoying it.....~~Wendy~~

three seven
02-13-2005, 05:57 PM
We get bundled in with Mystery, don't we?

JanaLanier
02-13-2005, 07:02 PM
I've been running around, checking it all out, saying what about this, and what about that, and I forgot to say:

Thank you Jenna! For all your hard work in transferring the board! It's wicked cool!

We all bow before you!!! :Hail:

three seven
02-13-2005, 07:31 PM
become a "Super Member," which is when you can choose your own avatar and title
Unless, of course, you're a guy, in which case Hell will freeze over before you change your title from 'Super Member.' http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/wink3.gif

dblteam
02-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Jenna,

You've done an outstanding job of moving the forums :Thumbs:

:TheWave:
Look, the smiley guys can do the wave.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work in keeping this place up and running. This is by far the best writer's resource I've encountered on the web.

Valerie

reph
02-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Can I vote for (or against) the same person more than once?

What happens if a newbie's first few posts look good and I give that person a plus vote, but later the person slides downhill and I want to take away a point? Or the reverse: someone starts out hostile but straightens up and apologizes profusely?

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 10:49 PM
You're actually giving points to the post itself, technically--although the points accrue to the poster. So you can vote different ways on different posts, vote for the same person, different posts, etc.

Although the board makes you spread it around...you have to give points to 10 other peeps, before you can give them to the same person again.

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 11:22 PM
That's why we should all really think twice before awarding or taking away points from someone. Does the post really deserve a pat or a spanking?
I can see this as very beneficial to the board, as we self regulate. Then again, someone could technical abuse this system.

Mods have double the power, so they will have to be extra careful.

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Somebody else just discovered another quirk. The censoring feature seems to be very sensitive. For example, it's censoring the word D-ick. So D-ickens become ****kens. Or D-ick Van Dyke becomes **** Van Dyke. It's kind of funny. I wonder what other words are censored (beside the seven dirty words).

reph
02-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Several of my points yesterday came from the Neverending PA Thread. One person posted there that she'd given a point to everyone who posted on the thread. Maybe others followed her example. I guess that's kind of a reward for helping with the good fight. It seems too easy to earn points that way, though, like a teacher giving an A for cleaning the blackboard.

Is the current ratio 2 to 1 for mods' votes and ordinary members' votes?

reph
02-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Ah-HA, Maestro, I see you! Don't think you can hide behind that gray dot!

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 11:34 PM
I dunno what the current ratio is, Reph.

I bet all the reputation stuff settles down pretty fast, actually--then the point counts will be more accurate, cuz peeps will just click on it when a post really makes a mark, one way or the other...

three seven
02-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Maestro: You can say arse but not ***. **** Van Dyke gets bleeped - that must be a cock-up. You can't say ****, ****, ****, ****, ******* or ***** but bluetits and Hilary Swank are ok. http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/sneaky.gif

MacAllister
02-14-2005, 12:03 AM
:roll: Three Seven, thank you for researching that so thoroughly...important that we know these things, straight off.

three seven
02-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Glad I could be of service to the community.

Fractured_Chaos
02-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Jenna, very nice job! I love the work you did.

*Looks around, and finds a nice spot for the drgn couch*:Cheer:

*drops hint for a nice little "couch" smiley, too*

Here ya go! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_5_11.gif

JennaGlatzer
02-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks for all the 'preciation! I 'preciate it!

The "dirty words" are of my own choosing, so I can fix them. :) I'll get to it. And as for smilies: If there are any in particular you want me to add, post them here and I'll load them onto the list. I can add about 10 more. Don't want the full list to take forever to load.

Reph, sorry, but I don't think there are other features I want to get rid of.

awatkins
02-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Jenna, I would really love some sort of parrot icon if you have room. If not, that's fine because I'm ecstatically happy with what you've done! :Clap:

biotales
02-14-2005, 03:59 AM
Somebody else just discovered another quirk. The censoring feature seems to be very sensitive. For example, it's censoring the word D-ick. So D-ickens become ****kens. Or D-ick Van Dyke becomes **** Van Dyke. It's kind of funny. I wonder what other words are censored (beside the seven dirty words).

THERE IS A CENSOR DEVICE...... ARGHHHHHHHHH FUNNY...WHERE IS IT... WHERE IS IT....

three seven
02-14-2005, 04:08 AM
Jenna's got it. She went away earlier to decide what to do with it and she's been sitting in the dark laughing at naughty words ever since.

three seven
02-14-2005, 04:10 AM
UPDATE: Dick's back - a blessed relief for all us Diagnosis Murder fans.

No sign of ****, **** or ******* yet though.

JennaGlatzer
02-14-2005, 05:27 AM
Wisebutt. :D

three seven
02-14-2005, 05:38 AM
I know what you're trying to do and I'm not falling for it.

JennaGlatzer
02-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Trying to get everyone to stop watching Diagnosis Murder?

I wouldn't dream of being so cunning.

maestrowork
02-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Oh bunny woman, you used the C word!

Shame on you!

:)

three seven
02-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Jenna, I found another one: I'm not allowed to sni gger, which unfortunately is one of my favourite pastimes.

Can you not set the censor to Exact Matches Only on this board? That'd solve a lot of problems, although obviously you'd have to manually input a few of the longer words. Or alternatively just turn the bloody thing off and let us censor ourselves. We all put our own asterisks in anyway!

allion
02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Jenna, I don't log on for a weekend, and I see the whole neighbourhood has changed!!!

But it's wonderful here. Thank you!!

Sure, lost the old post count, but that is only a matter of time.

I want to thank you for all the hard work at maintaining this board and keeping us happy.

Now, if I can figure out how to make the smilie show up, I'll be all set...

Kudra
02-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Welcome back, Allion!

:PartySmil

allion
02-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank you!

See, post count is all relative...haven't even read the other boards yet...

Steve 211
02-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Feel like Kirk on the new Enterprise - everything so shiny and sleek. And there isn't even any trouble with the energizers!

So far I love it. Kudos to Jenna! I can't imagine how much work it was to get each forum up and everything linked up and cross-matched and tested.

St. Peter won't be there for you with just the keys to the Pearly Gates - he'll also have an autographed copy of the Psalms, a box of God's favorite Waterman pens, and a laptop with an eternal battery to keep track of all that your site continues to do for so many.

:Thumbs:

Steve 211
02-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Oh, by the way, I used to be SC211 on the Novelist board.
You can tell I'm much more daring now in revealing myself. :snoopy:

Betty W01
02-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Here, Anne...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_129.gif

[To use the smileys I've posted here - or anywhere else, for that matter - just put your cursor on the desired smiley, click on the right hand mouse button, and check properties to find the html code. Copy it and paste it into the box that pops up when you click on "insert image". Voilá! Instant smiley!]

awatkins
02-15-2005, 12:23 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_129.gif

Thank you, Betty!!! And you can resize him and everything! Cool. :)

Dawno
02-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Is there a setting I should be using (or something I can do) to see these as they were orignally in the posts instead of the code being completely visible...I'm reading through the James D. Macdonald thread about learning to write and it's much harder now reading through all the (?)html(?) codes.

bikrpreacher
02-15-2005, 02:40 AM
I like the site, it's the same my son has and so he can help me use it! You've done a great job. He told me thought about a qick reply box for posting, did you see that at Vbulletin.org (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/portal.php) and did you think it would be cool? Can we have that here?

E.G. Gammon
02-15-2005, 11:35 AM
The forums look great you guys! The only complaint I have is the inability to edit posts that were transferred over. I update the "WRITERS' WEBSITES THREAD" under the "Announcements, Events, and Self-Promotion" and since the first post (the one I edit when I want to update the list with new links) is posted as "Guest," there's no way for me to edit it. What should I do?

E.G. Gammon

maestrowork
02-15-2005, 11:37 AM
(the one I edit when I want to update the list with new links) is posted as "Guest," there's no way for me to edit it. What should I do?

Copy and paste to a new post, then update the link and put a note in it.

JennaGlatzer
02-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Glad you made it. :) Yeah, what Ray said. If you want to, you can just copy it and paste it into a new thread, and I can erase the old one.

JennaGlatzer
02-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Dawno, I don't *think* there's a way to view archived stuff without the tags, but I'm not sure.

Chris, yep, I can do that. Not sure if it will make the pages load any slower. Will add it and see. I'll give Reph the veto right on that one; Reph, tell me if it makes things worse or if it stays the same.

Birol
02-15-2005, 12:15 PM
For Uncle Jim's thread, check out the "Uncle Jim, undiluted" thread being created by Macallister. She is in the process of editing the html tags in it. You may have to give her a couple of days, but she's working on getting everything fixed.

JennaGlatzer
02-15-2005, 12:18 PM
No WONDER Mac has such a good reputation! The woman deserves sainthood for that one.

MacAllister
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Hell--I didn't WRITE the words, just cut-n-pasted...

Jenna, if you'd kindly give me some warning before the old ez board comes down? Or is the old board cached?

Jim referenced pages all around the cooler, in the UJ thread, and I'm having to zip over there to figure out which page is which, in the corresponding archives, here--to reroute the links.

(This would be an excellent time for some knowledgable computer-whizzy kind of person to say: Why, mac, you're making this much harder than it really HAS to be. You could simply do thus-and-so, in half the time, and it'll work just fine!)

reph
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Jenna: Reph, tell me if it makes things worse or if it stays the same.

I don't know what you did, but if you did it already, I haven't detected any change in loading speed.

Mac, cutting and pasting takes time. No use trying to shed that halo. It's welded on.

Kudra
02-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Jenna,

I don't know how much it costs to keep the EZBoard alive, but if you can, keep the archives. The threads on that board have very high search engine rankings and you don't want to lose that. Maybe after this board catches up.

maestrowork
02-15-2005, 08:13 PM
No wonder Mac doesn't sleep. WTG, you PURE EVIL SAINT.

JenNipps
02-15-2005, 11:03 PM
(This would be an excellent time for some knowledgable computer-whizzy kind of person to say: Why, mac, you're making this much harder than it really HAS to be. You could simply do thus-and-so, in half the time, and it'll work just fine!)

Oh, WOW!! You've got your work cut out for you. (Though I'm more than sure you know that already. lol)

Where's that trophy smiley? You need it. Actually, the real deal would be better but this is the best I can do.

(And, sorry, but no, I don't know of any other way to do it than what you're doing.)

:Trophy:

E.G. Gammon
02-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Ok, I created a new 'WRITERS' WEBSITES Thread' so you can delete the old one, and sticky the new one. Thanks.

E.G.

Dawno
02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
no worries, I might find a workaround and if I do I'll mention it. Meanwhile it's well worth mentioning again how wonderful it is of Mac to be doing the Undiluted Jim. Thank you so much!

JennaGlatzer
02-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Yep, I have no immediate plans to take the old boards down entirely. They do have great search engine placement, whereas the new ones haven't really gotten into the queue yet. In about a week, the old board will be infested with those nasty pop-ups and pop-unders that we had when I let Gold Membership lapse over there for a few days. But the archives will still be there until I'm sure we don't need them anymore.

ChunkyC
02-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I can't believe I didn't notice this thread until now! So much new stuff to look through, so many threads to catch up on -- then there's my freakin' JOB.

I just want you to know, Jenna, that thanks to this move and you making me an admin here, my next performance review at work will probably be the WORST one I've had in over a decade.

I can't thank you enough, I'm having so much fun! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotepartyguy.gif

NicoleJLeBoeuf
02-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Jenna, is this a good thread for suggestions about Forum "rooms"?

I was looking at the Get With The Genre catagories, and I noticed there was no appropriate place for discussion of non-Christian spiritual writing. Would it be appropriate to suggest that the "Christian" room perhaps be changed to a "Spirituality and Religion" room, thereby creating a place for discussion of writing for publications and publishers such as Jewish Heritage, newWitch, Magical Blend, Tricycle, Shambala Sun, Llewellyn, and others?

I understand that there is definitely a Christian genre, and maybe we don't want to dilute that, but the obvious alternative - a room for "Christian" and then another room for "Other Spiritual Writings" - seems a little unbalanced. And having a room each for every religious tradition we can think of is probably unfeasable.

Anyway, I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks for listening...

jdkiggins
02-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Everytime I click I find something new. This new board is great.

Joanne

JennaGlatzer
02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Nicole, you hit the nail on the head with my dilemma about that one. Didn't want to leave out all the other religions, but definitely couldn't create separate boards for each. I'll keep thinking and will happily take suggestions. I'm not eager to keep adding boards because I feel like it's already a lot for anyone to browse through, but if there's enough demand, I'll do it.

WhisperingBard
02-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Perhaps just expanding the forum would do the trick? The thread titles would probably be enough to let people know whether they want to read/participate in a particular topic within the forum.

CaoPaux
02-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Yer pardon if this has already been mentioned, but the Search function doesn't seem to access the moved-from-the-old-board posts. :Hail:

reph
02-24-2005, 03:33 AM
CaoPaux, the problem may be a setting in your Control Panel. You can tell the board to show you all posts, or only posts newer than three months, or only posts newer than one day – something like that.

three seven
02-24-2005, 03:52 AM
I'll second Nicole's suggestion, and hope that doesn't kill it.

CaoPaux
02-24-2005, 03:56 AM
Well, I thought the Advanced Search overrode that, but I went and changed my CP Option from "Forum Default" to "All Threads", but still no luck. For example, a search on "Talcott" will bring up the new thread, but not the old ones. A search for "Publish America" or "Publishamerica" only brings up the Never-ending thread and a few random topics where it's been recently mentioned, but not the plethora of old PA threads both in Beware and TIO. I’ze confuddled. :Huh:

sthrnwriter
02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
First of all, I just want to say that Jenna you are doing a great job and Keep up the good work.

I do have a question, however. My genre of choice is Mainstream/Contemporary and I was looking at the Get with the Genre categories. I don't see where this genre fits with the others. I mean it could be considered My Life Story buts more for Memoirs right? So I was wondering if you could help me figure this dilemma out, please? Thanks.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
02-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Nicole, you hit the nail on the head with my dilemma about that one. Didn't want to leave out all the other religions, but definitely couldn't create separate boards for each. I'll keep thinking and will happily take suggestions. I'm not eager to keep adding boards because I feel like it's already a lot for anyone to browse through, but if there's enough demand, I'll do it.Actually, my primary suggestion was "Instead of having a 'Christian Writing' room, have a 'Spirituality/Religious Writing' room." That's not adding a new board; it's renaming (and thus repurposing) an existing board.

I hesitated to suggest it, because I didn't want to get tagged as a grinch for "telling Jenna to take away our Christian room!". (Go on, ask me about my Sweet Adelines "holiday concert" pet peeve sometime...) But renaming the existing room to expand its scope is the only way I can think of to have a place for discussion of other religious writings without A) showing favoritism, in the manner of "Christianity" vesus "Other", or B) taking on the Herculean task of creating a separate room for every religious group out there.

What do you think?

Renee
02-27-2005, 03:01 AM
Yes Jenna I think it's better with the avatar and username to the left. I love this site!

three seven
02-27-2005, 03:33 AM
Me too http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/thumbsup.gif

(Did I say that already? Can't be bothered to read through again!)

Renee
02-27-2005, 03:47 AM
Seven, oh yeah sure you are tracking me on your conspiracy cause you know that I am 100 entire posts behind you...lol..

:ROFL:

three seven
02-27-2005, 04:12 AM
Merely offering my opinion. http://www.geocities.com/thingumybobwotsit/rolleyes.gif

RonFranscell
03-27-2005, 03:06 AM
AbsoluteWrite offers the most navigable, fair and useful forums I've seen. And that's not merely a measurement against other sites for writers and readers, but against any general site I've seen. Excellent work, Jenna, and as a new-ish member, I'm eager to explore its farthest-flung corners!

Mr Underhill
03-31-2005, 08:06 AM
Everything's quite lovely so far. There's only one thing I miss, that I've been able to do on other sites and blogs and such: strikethrough.

That would seem like an obvious one for a writers' site.

strikethrough

No, not working. It ought to be relatively easy to implement, it's simply the <s>tag</s> in HTML.

Celeste
04-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CactusWendy

would there be any chance of having a CRIME site

Yes! A 'True Crime' forum would be cool! Anyone else like reading, or writing True Crime?

celeste