The Man From Uncle on DVD

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I'm as nostalgic as the next squirrel, but $249.99 ? Okay, it's for the ENTIRE series, every episode.

Nice packaging.

But $249.99? I don't think I liked this show that much. Anyone?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Man-UNCLE-Complete-Series-Press-Release/8152

Whoa. I'll wait a year or two - which only ripens nostalgia - then pick it up on sale for $60. I never pay full price; can't afford to. (Darn it.) Still, I've got a nice little library; not current, but nice. :D

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
That's a lot of money. I used to love it so, but I'm afraid it would seem dated if I watched it now.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
How many hours is that? because if includes all the shows, 100 or more, and the 5 movies that would be a lot of viewing time.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You didn't have to wait this long either. I bought most of the MUNCLE stuff years ago--just not this particular package.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Open Channel D, overseas relay!

If the set becomes available in the UK that'll maybe translate to £120-ish. All I need to do is find some fool who thinks I'm worth that amount of money come the Jolly Season of Unlimited Expenditure. Shouldn't be too difficult...

-Derek

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's gotta be well over 6,000 hours of viewing, so maybe in that context it's a good deal. :Shrug:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
It's gotta be well over 6,000 hours of viewing, so maybe in that context it's a good deal. :Shrug:
But I've a fear.

It happened once before. There was a TV show that I LOVED when it was on tv. So I forked out for the box set, only to find that watching them back-to-back showed up how lousy the show actually was. How repetetive. It wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.

TO top it off, I only got store credit.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's been my fear of many an old favorite. I marked my calendar for when The Mod Squad comes out (my first big crush) but I'm pretty sure watching something so dated, especially to the late 60's early 70's, will be too painful to sit through.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It happened once before. There was a TV show that I LOVED when it was on tv. So I forked out for the box set, only to find that watching them back-to-back showed up how lousy the show actually was. How repetetive. It wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.
Well, come on, out with it then!

I had that problem with the Robin of Sherwood DVD set(s).

-Derek

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It pays not to binge :)
I recently binged Firefly and got to the end wanting more. So, some series are less acidic than others. :)

At least with Robin of Sherwood there's always Michael Praed to look at (and Jason Connery at least looked pretty).
Oddly enough, neither actor dinged my bell...

And it's still miles better than the recent BBC effort.
At the time, certainly. I see BBC is advertising the next series, starting next Saturday. The trailer looks great, it's the stuff that fills the gaps between the one-second shots that worries me. Still, if the 2nd series gets similar or better viewing figures than the first, I should imagine the Beeb will be happy.

-Derek

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm as nostalgic as the next squirrel, but $249.99 ? Okay, it's for the ENTIRE series, every episode.

Nice packaging.

But $249.99? I don't think I liked this show that much. Anyone?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Man-UNCLE-Complete-Series-Press-Release/8152
OMG! Rip my heart out why don't they?

I've been waiting, searching, hoping for a Man from Uncle release and now they price it so prohibitively that I'm going to have to sell a child or two just to get it.

I'll miss Kurt.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read a follow up at the same site: tvshowsondvd.com and they updated, saying Time Life (which owns the show) will, in a few more months, be offering individual seasons packaged pretty much the same, on a smaller - and one would assume less expensive - scale.

That's more my speed. No matter how much I might love a show, I still need to eat and I owe another $3,000 on the car ! Oh, and the house payments. There's always house payments.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Anyone catch the Man from UNCLE marathon on TCM yesterday? I was afraid I'd tune in to be disgusted with how hokey they'd become since I was in love with them all those many years ago... but damn! They held up pretty well to my memory of them and I was pleasantly surprised.

The bongos in the music made me giggle a bit, but all-in-all it was a good day spent with old friends. :)

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm rereading this thread. You guys binge on your favorite shows?

I might watch two shows in a row, but hardly more than that.

I actually have a schedule set up where each evening I'll watch a Lost in Space, then a Wild,Wild West, then a Combat!, then an Addams Family.

I like to try to relive my childhood even down to a pseudo schedule.

I'm so happy that MfU will have single season packages.