Non-TV blow to the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
I need to knock a character unconscious after a fight. She needs to stay out while being moved with injuries. She can't have any brain damage that would kill her without treatment, or else something that can be treated fairly easily. She's being moved to a sort of army field hospital, no access to modern emergency room. And above all, I don't want this to seem too TV, like those characters who get hit on the head every other week and never suffer any ill effects.

Actually, my character could suffer some ill effects - head aches, or the thing where it's dangerous to get a 4th concussion (sorry, I don't know how that works - I never was one of those kids.)

Any and all suggestions are welcome, including other ways to knock her out, but she needs to be unconscious when she's moved, or at least immobilized.

THANK YOU

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
thanks

I guess I should have been more specific. She's outside on the dirt. She's having a knife fight with a guy, but they both lose their knives. It'd be best if he could just hit her. He can have knowledge about that sort of thing - he's a military fellow, but not a good guy. Whatever he uses to knock her out can't be something he could easily kill her with. And he can only use one hand.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Head injuries are extemely variable. Some blows that seem fairly light can be incapacitating and some can fracture the skull and yet the person walks around with a headache. Or dies. You'll do fine with your scenario, a fight, other person trained gets one more blow (with or without a weapon or ground impact to make things tougher on your character).
The TV annoying stuff comes in when people take blow after blow with no ill effect, but you've already said you're not doing that noise. Good for you. (The other TV thing w/ head injuries is the phooey of someone waking up the victim every hour all night. Aurgh. That is diagnostic, not therapeutic, and seriously gone the way. Please don't do that.)

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
useful stuff, thanks!

ok, so let's say this is the first time she's ever been knocked unconscious. And we'll say Mr. trained military baddie uses only his fist to knock her out. (Or a flat hand? I'm flashing back to some corny TV moment - "judo chop!") She doesn't see it coming because he's just chucked dirt in her eyes.

Where exactly does he hit her and how? Somebody mentioned a button, and getting hit at the jaw hinge. (I think those were from the one link you guys provided.) She needs to go down and then out, but it doesn't have to be instanteous, it could take a few moments.

She's probably got her head down, fighting with the dirt in her eyes. Both of them are standing, but it was a hard fight and except for his devious tactics, Mr. bad guy is worse off.

thankyouthankyouthankyou

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
If you're up for it, go outside with a friend. Have friend grab handful of dirt (that is a very small amount) and throw it at your face from an arm's length away. Wear glasses if you want. I think you will find the handful-o-sand trick a silly TV moment that should die.
You can still see. Your blink reaction is fast and wonderful. And involuntary. It will likely save you from getting any dirt in your eye, but whatever goes in, is very unlikely to incapacitate you.

W/out a weapon, bad guy may hit her where the skull is thinnest, at the temple. However, he may use his knee, heel or ball of foot (toe if wearing boots) to strike, generating much more power than a heel of the palm or knuckle punch. What's he wearing? (Legally boots are often classified as dangerous instruments, upping the level of felony assault charge.)
Because he's a trained bad guy, he subscribes to the MAT theory of fighting. Most Available Target. Sure the most important brain area is back and low, but it's also the best protected, with the thickest bone. He may strike parietal, temporal, basal, frontal areas. It will not kill your credibility when he hits one area v. another.

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
Ah! TV fails me again!!! Except I'm a farmer and I have had hay blow into my eye while working. I can still see (it's usually only one piece and you learn quick to avoid it) but it can hurt like a b#$*@. Once, a piece actually cut my eye. No fun, terrible pain actually.

So how do I salvage this part then? Dude's a mess, and he has to pull something dirty to catch girl off-guard so he can knock her out.... or something like that.

HELP

Jeff Colburn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CreativeCauldron.com
You can hit her behind either ear, or a strong blow to either temple. Don't hit the temple too hard though or you'll kill her. There are other places and ways to hit someone in the head without weapons, but they usually result in death.

Have Fun,
Jeff

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
There's something they do in the military called "thunder from heaven" which involves striking a certain muscle. I believe it uses both fists and the victim is struck in the upper back from behind. It's said to infallibly cause unconsciousness, but a very well-conditioned body has to be hit very hard for it to work.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Head injuries are very variable as said earlier. A glancing elbow to the temple knocked me out for 20 -40 minutes or longer with effects lasting no long. (my brief attempt at humor, no long lasting effects). The "glass jaw" boxing stories have to do with the jaw mashing the tmj (temporal-mandibular joint) getting compressed to the point that it overstimulates a nerve cluster just behind the jaw, but head anatomy was a long time ago and not my cup of tea and I dont remember the name of the nerve cluster. A blow to the mid upper abdomen can also knock some people out when done properly, which usually means an unsuspecting, relaxed victim. The back of the head blows are more likely to just piss people off since the back of the skull is much stronger bone and the thinking part of the brain is up front, or result in an injury that will lead to lasting problems. Having the bad guy use his hands is better than a weapon since there are no sharp projections on hands that would punch holes in the skull. A favorite scene I hated was a movie where someone is knocked out from behind with a ball peen hammer. If a blow like that knocked someone out, they'd not likely ever awaken.

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
I've settled on the blow behind the ear, thanks everyone! Would this drop her immediately?

Also, any suggestions on what to do about the dust to the eyes?? Or an alternative??

musicalzoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbiepanell.com
it may have been said, but my first thought is that she falls and hits her head on a rock, or branch...something like that...knocks her unconscious for a bit, but no irreparable harm done...

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
If you're up for it, go outside with a friend. Have friend grab handful of dirt (that is a very small amount) and throw it at your face from an arm's length away. Wear glasses if you want. I think you will find the handful-o-sand trick a silly TV moment that should die.
You can still see. Your blink reaction is fast and wonderful. And involuntary. It will likely save you from getting any dirt in your eye, but whatever goes in, is very unlikely to incapacitate you.
My understanding of this particular tactic was as a distraction, not any kind of incapacitating move. Throwing dirt/sand/object at your opponent's face would make them turn their head or raise and hand/arm to block which buys you time to run away or close in.

But I could be wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.