What is the difference...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miracles737

Registered
Reaction score
Website
exposedlivingbehindamask.blogspot.com
What is the difference between a memoir and an autobiography?

Searching for an agent, I found some that said they represent biographies and memoirs but not autobiographies. Is there someplace where I can find agents that do represent autobiographies?

I tell you, when you think you finally have something figured out, here comes a new stepping stone. Well, at least they aren't stumbling blocks!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I think the best way to answer this question might be to find some books that are marketed as memoirs and some that are marketed as autobiographies and read them.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
I just checked Webster, who says memoir is "a narrative of experiences that the writer has lived through." When plural - memoirs - an autobiography. So, an autobiography is a biography written by the subject rather than someone else, and would be expected to be a life story. A memoir is limited to a particular experience, event or period in the writer's life. That is how I interpret it. i have a couple memoirs about to go out to rejection land, one about childhood in a small town during world war two, the other a collection of experiences riding on steam trains bundled into one narrative poem.

Status
Not open for further replies.