My Annual Classic Novel Reading Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Some years ago, I decided I needed to dedicate myself to reading one old "classic" novel I hadn't read, every year. So far, in 2007, I haven't kept my commitment. Tonight, I embark.

Previous reads have included Moby Dick, every damn whaley word of which I thoroughly hated, and Typee, another earlier Melville I liked so much that I read it's two sequels, the obscure Omoo and Mardi, which I appreciated, too. Then I read The Confidence-Man, which I found dreadful. I'm done with Melville.

I've had some other disappointments (everything I've tried by Dickens; done with him, too), but some pleasant surprises (Anthony Trollope; a random pick from his dozens of novels, The Claverings, which was delightful).

So, tonight I start Coningsby, one of several novels by the famous Victorian British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli. I'll report on how it turns out.

caw

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I read Frankenstein a couple of months ago. Took me a little while to really get into it, but it was worth it.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I try to read at least one classic, old or modern, a month.

Sometimes they're fabulous. To my surprise, the occasional one will be total bilge, to the point where I can't even imagine why it's so well-regarded.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
I try to read at least one classic, old or modern, a month....To my surprise, the occasional one will be total bilge, to the point where I can't even imagine why it's so well-regarded.

I read Rand's Atlas Shrugged last year. Well, almost read it...I read the first few pages of Galt's endless speech, then skipped past to where the action (such as it was) picked up again. That should be in a Ten Commandments of Writing somewhere - "Thou shalt not allow thy character to ramble on for more than two pages."

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I've been doing this too, and have another thread about this (not to hijack). My past couple attempts have been boring! Scarlet Letter & Catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.