PDA

View Full Version : Happy Moo-n Festival

maestrowork
09-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Take a look at the moon tonight and think of your loved ones -- they're all looking at the same bright moon tonight (the Harvest/mid-autumn Moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival) is the brightest moon of the year -- it also happens to be my Chinese/Lunar birthday). It's a time in Chinese tradition to gather with loved ones and remember what it means to be family.

Tonight, the moon is the brightest. Tomorrow, the moon will be the roundest.

Drink some tea. Have some moon cakes. And be thankful for your loved ones.

I'm thinking of all of you tonight as you're my family.

Moooooo-N

clara bow
09-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Right back at you! I went to the Autumn Moon Festival in San Francisco's Chinatown on Sunday...it was awesome, as usual (been to it a few times, actually). I know this sounds silly, but I got tears in my eyes a couple of times. I just love the whole celebration.

Except I never could track down any red bean moon cakes. Dang it.

Ava Jarvis
09-26-2007, 08:12 AM
I prefer the lotus paste moon cakes.

I love seasonal celebrations.

A. Hamilton
09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
What a coincedence, I just served my family vanilla pudding.
Much to be thankful for, here.
And HERE, too.

maestrowork
09-26-2007, 08:18 AM
I prefer the lotus paste moon cakes.

I love seasonal celebrations.

I love the all-lotus paste ones, too! My parents prefer the ones with eggs or almonds. I miss the colorful lanterns (we don't have Chinatowns here) -- that was the best holiday tradition for me when I was a kid... even better than Chinese New Year (because, I guess, I felt special because everyone was celebrating my birthday with me. ;) )

Ava Jarvis
09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I love the all-lotus paste ones, too! My parents prefer the ones with eggs or almonds.

I never liked the ones with egg yolks. I know it's traditional but it's just too much for me.

On the other hand, I don't mind the almonds.

But yeah, lotus paste rules!

I miss the colorful lanterns (we don't have Chinatowns here) -- that was the best holiday tradition for me when I was a kid... even better than Chinese New Year (because, I guess, I felt special because everyone was celebrating my birthday with me. ;) )

Hee! You got a lucky birthday!

I wish I was on the other side of the sound right now; we don't have a chinatown on the island, but Seattle has an Asian - cough - international district.

But there's always the moon....

Cassiopeia
09-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Happy Lunar Birthday Ray. Thanks for posting this. It made my day. :)

mjlpsu
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't like moon cakes. We were given tons of them this year... anyone want them? Fortunately, my boss gave me lots of fruit along with the moon cakes to balance everything out.

Ava Jarvis
09-26-2007, 10:15 AM
YES

I have such a sweet tooth. For Asian version of sweet tooth. I would eat George Bush if he was a lotus-paste moon cake.

maestrowork
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
YES
I would eat George Bush

I can only take so much excitement in one day...

MJ, the trick of eating moon cakes is drink a LOT of black tea -- LOTS. One bite of moon cake and two sips of hot, strong oolong or tieguanyin.

Haggis
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
生日快樂

wyntermoon
09-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Happy belated moon birthday! I missed this post yesterday but did point out the bright moon to my girls.

Now I need to find a recipe for lotus paste moon cakes (have the tea ;))!

III
09-26-2007, 07:01 PM
That's so funny - I didn't see this post yesterday, but last night I was sitting on the back porch with some friends and we all commented on how incredibly bright the moon was. Man, those Chinese think of everything!

maestrowork
09-26-2007, 10:37 PM
The Chinese invented the Harvest moon. They also invented fireworks and Barbie and pepperoni pizzas.

I heard.

wyntermoon
09-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Barbie?

maestrowork
09-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Lead-paint Barbies.

clara bow
09-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm happy to report that yesterday, at my local Keh Wah Bakery, I scored the last tin of red bean moon cakes! Hi-yah!

Lotus is good, too. I'm afraid to eat the kind with yolks. Probably a Western mentality block thingy.

Susie
09-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Belated Happy Moon, Ray. Hope your birthday is the best. :Hug2:

maestrowork
10-01-2007, 06:44 AM
I have two great birthdays this year -- they were actually only a few days apart, which was kind of special. Thanks, Susie. Want some hot tea and moon cake? I still have some left.

JoNightshade
10-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Red bean moon-cakes: Good.

All other moon-cakes: Yuckies!!!

Happy Mooncake Festival everyone! Eat the yummy ones, not the icky ones. :)

Although I had a melon one once that wasn't too bad...

maestrowork
10-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Mellon moon cake? Wow, they really are branching out. On the other hand, the winter-mellon cakes are delicious -- I miss them.

I want a Chinatown!!!

Ava Jarvis
10-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Lotus is good, too. I'm afraid to eat the kind with yolks. Probably a Western mentality block thingy.

I ate a double yolk one once. It was extra greasy. The yolks were hardboiled I think. The grease was more ick than anything else though.

Deadbeat 007
10-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Now I'm wanting to try one of these 'moon cakes'... ;)