• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

eNovel.com / Instantnovelist.com

AnneMarble

This site gives me one of those "You are not authorized to view this page" messages:
www.enovel.com/

I remember them because several people saw their original contract (in late 1999) and said it was the worst they had ever seen. IIRC they did take out some of the worst clauses, but I was wondering if it had ever become a remotely acceptable contract.

And if this publisher is dead, what happened to the writers stuck with them? Especially under their surreal contracts? :bang

vstrauss

Re: Is eNovel alive, and did their contract ever get better?

It was a really bad contract at the time, but since then I've seen much worse.

As far as I know eNovel is dead, like a lot of the self-styled brand new paradigms of that period.

- Victoria

AnneMarble

It was a really bad contract at the time, but since then I've seen much worse.
:wha What do they do, demand ownership of your first-born son? Make you take care of their first-born son?

As far as I know eNovel is dead, like a lot of the self-styled brand new paradigms of that period.
This may seem mean to some, but... :snoopy

What's sad is that some people did publish through eNovel, although as far as I can tell, at least it wasn't under their original contract.

I know there are some sites that list examples of good contracts. Are there sites that showcase really bad contract language, or do you have to dig around in message boards?

vstrauss

>>Are there sites that showcase really bad contract language, or do you have to dig around in message boards?<<

There's no emoticon for a lightbulb going off, but if there were I'd put it here. What a great idea! When I have some free time (ha, ha) I'm going to look into the possibility of doing this for Writer Beware. I suspect there will be legal ramifications...but it would be great fun to do this. I have a large collection of hideous contracts.

- Victoria

AnneMarble

There's no emoticon for a lightbulb going off, but if there were I'd put it here. What a great idea! When I have some free time (ha, ha) I'm going to look into the possibility of doing this for Writer Beware.

Cooool. :party I know what you mean about free time. I spent much of this weekend dumping out three chapters from my WIP because I realized the bandits were boring and nothing more than obstacles to my hero. (Insert Unnamed Bandit Three here, aim arrow, shoot.) And then there are other WIPs, articles, work, life...

I suspect there will be legal ramifications...but it would be great fun to do this. I have a large collection of hideous contracts.
They would be fascinating reading. Like "Jaws" only with landsharks.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Victoria, did you ever get a page of Hideous Contracts put together?
No. It's still something I'd like to do at some point, though--I have quite a collection.

At some point soon I'm going to add a segment on Independent Publishers to Writer Beware, and I plan to have some discussion there of contract language to watch out for.

- Victoria