Status
Not open for further replies.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I have a character who wants to buy crude oil.

Just a few gallons. One Barrel, max.

Anyone know where he could do that? In the U.S.

And could it be done on the quiet?

He's a private individual.

Please and thanks.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
There are many, many tiny private wells buying the groceries, throughout TX and the rest of the Gulf Coast, plenty in CA even. Easy enough to get the owner to make a deal. If the story is not set where there are some rigs and your char can finagle a pot o' crude, he needs to know someone who can or someone who is transporting (train, trucker?) or someone at a refinery where the crude is brought in. Refineries in AK, too. You can work it out from wherever your story is set.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
There is a really nice little refinery in AL where safety is... uh... lacking. Bribe someone for a bucketful and schlep it out into the parking lot past the chain fence. Last time I was there there wasn't even a guard. My hubby was there recently, I can ask him more about it if you want.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Y' know, it's really cool to be able to ask a way-out question and actually have people come back with answers that are usable.

But it's also VERY surreal (in a good way) that you get these weird requests, completely out of context, and usually several people pop-up and say, "Oh yeah, that's like this..." without even saying, "Why on earth would you wanna know that? What possibly good is that nugget of knowledge to anyone?"

Stranger still when someone is like, "Oh yeah, when I did that..."

BRILLIANT! :D

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
But it's also VERY surreal (in a good way) that you get these weird requests, completely out of context, and usually several people pop-up and say, "Oh yeah, that's like this..." without even saying, "Why on earth would you wanna know that?

We're assuming it is for fiction purposes.

But if you actually want to get some, I know this here guy, he's got A-bombs and baby pandas too, just drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do for ya...

musicalzoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbiepanell.com
Y' know, it's really cool to be able to ask a way-out question and actually have people come back with answers that are usable.

But it's also VERY surreal (in a good way) that you get these weird requests, completely out of context, and usually several people pop-up and say, "Oh yeah, that's like this..." without even saying, "Why on earth would you wanna know that? What possibly good is that nugget of knowledge to anyone?"

Stranger still when someone is like, "Oh yeah, when I did that..."

BRILLIANT! :D

While i wasn't able to contribute to this answer, I always knew there was a place somewhere for all my useless knowledge to be appreciated!

I think the scary thing for almost all of is that we don't even know we know something...until someone asks!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I for one was wondering what a little crude oil was for, but thought it inpertinent to post the question. But now that it's been brought up...
We're assuming it is for fiction purposes.
Now I'm REALLY intrigued - what would a fictional character do with crude oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.