When to draw the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
This came up in my thread at SYW. I figured this is a better place to go further with the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudScotKev
Interesting question you've raised, though, of how do you know which idea to pursue and which idea to shelve? ...... I'm not sure this is the most productive approach, because it has resulted in my having 4 WIPs in various stages of progress.

That's exactly what I was afraid of. How does one know? I already have a WIP on hold, besides my new WIP and this Vampire Hunter idea. When do I stop?

So what does every one think? Where do you draw the line?

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
I hope there's an answer because I for one would really like to know. I got lots going on at once as well...

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I know! I have to think that at somepoint you have to draw the line. I'm not saying to stop writing down the ideas that pop into your head... I mean to stop acting on them. Why can't I stop. I've never been this bad before with three... four going at once.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
Never draw the line. As a writer, the more you write, the better you'll get. You just have to get better at prioritising ;)

Far better to have too many ideas than not enough. I despair of the people who post on here looking for plot help - and I don't mean the complicated stuff, I mean the really basic ideas like 'what could happen to her?' etc. I can always think of a million different possibilities!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As for number of new projects to work on at once, it is too many when none of them are getting done. If you find a new project a minute & abandon each old one for each new one in a continuous string, it probably is time to focus on something & stick with it. If you have a bunch started & are working on one or more of them pretty consistently, you're probably okay.

Reaction score
Me, I stick to one at a time. That's not to say I haven't started a few at the same time...but once I get each to, say, 5-10k words, one will push itself forward and demand to be written. So it's almost as if they choose me, rather than the other way round. Goodness, how pretentious. But I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I have a lot of WIP right now but overall, I have one that's the dominant. The others I work on according to my mood when I can't stand to write another work of the main project. Then, I'll go back to the main project. Having a choice of other things to write keeps me from getting disgusted of the main WIP :p

For the most part, they are all slightly different genres although all are fantasy to a certain degree. IMO, it keeps my writing flowing better than to force myself to write only one and put the other ideas off 'til later.

piano_island

Registered
Reaction score
I always have tons of ideas, but the majority of them don't end up being fully formed until months and sometimes even years later. I have a notebook for just such a thing and I write every little idea possible in them and if I feel the need to elaborate on one idea then I go back and do it. Then, when I'm ready, I'll start in on one and the others can wait all safely tucked away for the future.

The story I'm working on now has been coming together piece by piece over the past two years and I'm just now getting around to it. It wasn't fully formed and even though it's not my typical genre of fiction, I'm going to go ahead with it anyway since it's such a strong idea.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
One book at a time. I can write one and edit one and plot one all at the same time, but I can't write two at one.

For NaNo, I'm going to try writing a new ms between drafts of another, and I've never done that before.

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I've alternated between stories before, usually focusing on one for a period and then going back to the other. Right now is the first time I've had real deadlines, and it sucks because I need to do revisions on two books, one for my editor and one for my agent, and I have no time to actually WRITE. I am jotting down ideas for new stories, but it isn't the same. I want my creative time, but I try to focus on the end products. I always have 5-10 projects on my idea list.

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Right now is the first time I've had real deadlines, and it sucks because I need to do revisions on two books, one for my editor and one for my agent, and I have no time to actually WRITE.

Ooo, I wish I had that problem. :p

I have a lot of WIP right now but overall, I have one that's the dominant. The others I work on according to my mood when I can't stand to write another work of the main project. Then, I'll go back to the main project. Having a choice of other things to write keeps me from getting disgusted of the main WIP

I think this is what I should be doing. I was getting frustrated with one idea after the other and kept ditching them. Although, I swear this is the first time I've done this.

Jimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmjanik.homestead.com
Wow. I've really found these posts interesting.

To me, writing a full length novel is a massive commitment of time and creative energy. I would never dream of beginning chapter one until the ideas and characters were so complete in my head that, if I didn't begin writing, my head would explode. Really. I think about plot directions and side plots and characters. I think about possible endings. I think about settings and points of view. I think a lot about voice. I think about all these things (once an idea materializes) until I literally can't sleep at night. Then and only then do I write word one. After that, the passion drives me to get it all out and I couldn't possibly think of anything else. I often stay up all night with the words flowing faster than my fingers can get them down. Stephen King calls it "falling into a hole". The world could end around me and I would not notice. There is no chance any new character or separate story line could distract me into beginning a different novel. I literally can't stop until it all spills out. In fact, this rush of words is my absolute favorite part about writing.

Should a new story idea enter my noggin, I might jot a note or two about it so I will remember it later when my WIP catharsis is complete, but I'd never let it butt in front of the line.

I can't imagine not writing with a passion that drives the process forward at this level of intensity. Really, if your story isn't riveting enough to keep you at it, how interesting do you think a random reader will find it? If my interest wanes in my characters or story as I write, something is deadly wrong. Fatally, probably.

But then everyone has their own way. For me, without that incredible rush of excitement as the story sort of writes itself, I'd be bored stiff.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I have different ideas at different stages, and I'll take time to develop several things, but in terms of actually writing, I only write one book at a time. Focus helps.

But when I must take a break from writing, I'll research or outline one of about -- hmm, let me count -- four different projects I might write later. I have other ideas, but they're just lying fallow for now.

Niesta

Canada's sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
I can only work on one at a time because I have a very small brain.

As for choosing between multiple compelling ideas... I choose whichever one I currently have the biggest crush on. If I'm really in love with it, I forget all those other ideas even exist.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
how do you know which idea to pursue and which idea to shelve?

Like many of the other posters here, I've got no shortage of basic ideas, but I only pursue the ones I think have legs, i.e. the ones I think I can get an actual plot from and I only pursue those one at a time because I know that I can only devote the time and energy to one project to see it through from start to finish before I can start on another.

That doesn't stop me from jotting ideas down for other novels/short stories as and when I think of them (I've got a notebook full of ideas, including ideas for what I think will be the next novel that I want to write), but I can't sit down and actually write them until I've got my current WIP done.

MM

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
There are so many reasons to devote yourself to a project. I'm a knitter, and I do the same thing with my yarn. I need the small, brainless project that I can carry with me to staff meetings. I need the special, I-fell-in-love-with-it project that gets complicated and I have to stick it in the closet for a month until I can solve its problems. Then there are the projects I have to do because somebody's having a birthday or a baby.

Writing is the same. There's the I-wish-it-were-finished-already book that I have to keep coming back to--query, synopsis, outline, revisions, none of which I enjoy. there's the long, complicated, OMG I don't even know if I can do this project that is about 6 chapters so far and is currently waiting for summer vacation when I can concentrate better. There's the one that I really want to write but i don't know what happens yet, so I can't get very far. And then there's the one that has a good chance of being a good book, the one that has been easy and fun to write, and it's about half done but suddenly I need to think more about what happens next so I haven't gotten very far this week. And I bet if I ditched work for a week and took a few naps, I could think of something else!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I've really found these posts interesting.

To me, writing a full length novel is a massive commitment of time and creative energy. I would never dream of beginning chapter one until the ideas and characters were so complete in my head that, if I didn't begin writing, my head would explode. Really. I think about plot directions and side plots and characters. I think about possible endings. I think about settings and points of view. I think a lot about voice. I think about all these things (once an idea materializes) until I literally can't sleep at night. Then and only then do I write word one. After that, the passion drives me to get it all out and I couldn't possibly think of anything else. I often stay up all night with the words flowing faster than my fingers can get them down. Stephen King calls it "falling into a hole". The world could end around me and I would not notice. There is no chance any new character or separate story line could distract me into beginning a different novel. I literally can't stop until it all spills out. In fact, this rush of words is my absolute favorite part about writing.

Should a new story idea enter my noggin, I might jot a note or two about it so I will remember it later when my WIP catharsis is complete, but I'd never let it butt in front of the line.

I can't imagine not writing with a passion that drives the process forward at this level of intensity. Really, if your story isn't riveting enough to keep you at it, how interesting do you think a random reader will find it? If my interest wanes in my characters or story as I write, something is deadly wrong. Fatally, probably.

But then everyone has their own way. For me, without that incredible rush of excitement as the story sort of writes itself, I'd be bored stiff.
Interesting. When I think too much about all of that stuff, I actually lose the passion. (As you said, everyone has their own way.) I usually plot the novel out in my head (though often I end up taking a bunch of detours from my original plan), but when I think too much about every single scene before I start writing it, I'll lose the passion 'cuz I've already played them in my head too many times. Often I'll skip ahead (or back) based on the scenes I'm most passionate about at the moment.

There are times that the scenes I'm most passionate about at the moment are in another novel. That doesn't always mean I've lost interest in the first novel, just that I'm also interested in the second. Sometimes it does mean that I've lost interest. Sometimes for good, & but other times just temporarily before the passion hits again (AFTRLYF did that. I shelved it for several months before coming back & realizing it was awesome. It's probably the one I still love the most). I don't think of it as meaning that the novel is boring. Just that something else is even more exciting(!) :D

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
My first novel was ridiculously bad. Some betas liked it, but on the whole, I'd be too embarrassed to publish it. That being said, had I not barreled through that first crappy book, I would never have been able to make my second novel what it is. I'm very proud of my second novel, and I'm hoping it's publishable, but it's standing on the shoulders of my first, and because of that I'd have to say write everything, decide later.

Writing is no different than anything else in that practice will inevitably lead to improvement. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.