The Kite Runner Controversy (may contain SPOILERS)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
(the following link contains spoilers for those who have not read the book - click at your own risk)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-09-23-kite-runner_N.htm

Is it a publicity stunt (I mean this comes out two months before the film comes out, just when they're actively promoting it), or is it really that bad in Afghanistan? If it's the latter, I do feel for the boy and his family:

"The people of Afghanistan do not understand that it's only acting or playing a role in a film. They think it has actually happened," Mahmidzada said.

They couldn't be that ignorant and not understand film vs. real life, or could they?

If the film is screened in Afghanistan, Ahmad Khan said his family will lose its dignity. "We won't be able to walk in our neighborhood or in Afghanistan at all," the boy said.

Mahmidzada worries the story will stir ethnic tensions because it plays on stereotypes of Afghan ethnic groups, pitting a Pashtun bully against a lower-class Hazara boy.

Pashtuns, Afghanistan's largest ethnic group, and the Hazara minorities were among several ethnic-based factions that fought bitterly during the country's post-Soviet era civil war. Thousands of Hazaras were slain as the predominantly Pashtun Taliban seized power in the mid-1990s.

Ethnic violence has generally subsided since the fall of the Taliban in 2001, but Afghans fear any trigger that could revive tensions. Many Afghans were angered by the 2006 Indian film Kabul Express, which portrays Hazara militants as brutal and thuggish.

"There are ethnic problems in Afghanistan — between Hazara, Pashtun, Tajik and other ethnic groups," Mahmidzada said. "We don't want any problem between any ethnic group in Afghanistan. We want unity among all ethnic groups in Afghanistan."

Manizha Naderi, an Afghan-American working in Kabul, said that if the film gets a lot of publicity, the family has reason for concern.

"If people don't see it, then nobody knows, but if people see it, then ... they'll blame the family and say, 'You're giving Afghans a bad name,'" Naderi said.

On one hand I can understand the scrutiny they would face. On the other hand, I can't help but think (yes, I'm cynical) this is to draw more attention to the film and book. As much as I love the book, the previews look boring. Not sure how many people will watch it outside of the book's die-hard fans.

This one line is particularly strange:

Ahmad Khan enjoyed shooting the film and wants to act more.

His suggestion to the film company? "They should take us out of Afghanistan."

I wonder what the author has to say about all this (unless it's part of the publicity). He didn't seem to have a problem with the book (no death threats, etc.)... On the other hand, he's now an American citizen... things may be different.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a publicity stunt or not, but, thematically, the book hinges on the rape scene. If it weren't there, the film would be a different story altogether. Perhaps all this should have occurred to either the family of the boy or the American film makers while they were making the movie. They could have found an American-Afghan boy to play the part. Whether they screen the film in Afghanistan is up to the country. It's not up to America to cry censorship, especially when showing the film might endanger the life of the boy.

Anyway, I think you meant the author didn't incur any death threats (not death wishes). Did he not? I didn't hear about it whether he did or didn't. People don't read that much anymore, do they?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree -- the scene is pivotal. And perhaps they should have hired an American actor to play the part instead of using someone local -- especially if the scene really would be a problem there. And they filmed it in China, not Afghanistan! But I think the filmmaker wanted authenticity, and someone who can speak Farsi. I seriously doubt that the family and boy would be kept in the dark until days before the film shoot... it's not like it's a big plot secret -- the book is an International best seller for years. It just doesn't sound right if there is indeed this cultural conflict -- since the author is Afghan-American, he would have known about this and told the filmmaker to be honest (or use an Afghan-American boy actor). My gut feeling is either it's a publicity thing or that the father of the boy wants more out of this.

Last edited:

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Why i n the title you say
"MAY contain spoilers"

Then in the message you say
"CONTAINS Spoilers"

It does contain spoilers, so say that!

Just chucking that in.
K

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
OK.

Do you have other points to make?

(my OP did not contain any spoiler, but the link did and subsequent posts MAY contain spoilers -- I hope that clarifies my intention)

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I saw an interview with the family in question last week and they said the film company never told them there was a rape scene, nor did they provide them with a copy of the book. The boy said he resisted filming the part and didn't want to remove his pants, knowing how that would be viewed by his culture. When the family found out about the scene, they say they requested another actor play the role. (I don't know why that didn't happen.)

I was surprised when I first heard about this, that the family would allow their child to act in a movie without them first reading the script. If what they say is true, it sounds like the film company completely misled this family.

The publicity angle didn't occur to me, but in today's world, you never know. They sounded genuinely upset in the interview.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
OK.

Do you have other points to make?

(my OP did not contain any spoiler, but the link did and subsequent posts MAY contain spoilers -- I hope that clarifies my intention)

Nah! I didn't have time to look at the link hopefully today!!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Why i n the title you say
"MAY contain spoilers"

Then in the message you say
"CONTAINS Spoilers"

It does contain spoilers, so say that!

Just chucking that in.
K

Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam!?!?!?

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
The family was interviewed on NPR and said the same as what Melanie posted. They felt very mislead and are very concerned for their safety. The director seemed more concerned that they achieved authenticity but now, in hindsight, agrees that the family is possibly in danger. I personally feel that the director and film investors are responsible for this predicament and should put forth the needed finances to relocate the family.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
That's where I heard the interview. We go back & forth between CNN and NPR - I was only listening so I wasn't sure which it was. I agree that the producers should do everything they can for this family. They got what they wanted & now should provide for them in return.