Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scifan.de
Hi there,

does anybody know: Could a citizen of ancient Rome be enslaved, willingly or forced? For example if he had borrowed money he could not repay. Could anybody strip him of his roman rights?

Eiko

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Isn't that what happened to Russell Crowe in Gladiator? He was a 2nd century Roman General and was sold into slavery, I think.
Linnea

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Citizens could sell themselves (and fathers could sell their whole families) into slavery. In some ways it was a form of bankruptcy law. You got paid money for the transaction which you then used to pay off your biggest creditor and you were now under the protection of whomever bought you, from the other creditors. It was illegal to try to force a debt collection from a slave. They had to try and get it from the patron (owner), who had his own little private army of kneecap breakers. Slaves actually had states rights whereas the citizen could simply go whenever, and were left to their own devices, wherever. Slaves also had an "old slaves' home". At the age of 70 any slave could go there and live (something along the lines of the YMCA with food stand). There were times when so many people were selling themselves into slavery for tax reasons and to avoid the draft that the empire (I don't ermember which emperor) started to allow slaves to enlist.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Paul from the bible was arrested, thrown into jail and beaten. THEN he told them hr was a roman citizen. EVERYONE "Had kittens" They were very nice to him after that!

Kevvers

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that what happened to Russell Crowe in Gladiator? He was a 2nd century Roman General and was sold into slavery, I think.
Linnea

Do not look to that movie for history lessons, it is wrought with mistakes.

Eiko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scifan.de
Citizens could sell themselves (and fathers could sell their whole families) into slavery. In some ways it was a form of bankruptcy law. You got paid money for the transaction which you then used to pay off your biggest creditor and you were now under the protection of whomever bought you, from the other creditors. It was illegal to try to force a debt collection from a slave. (...)
Ah, that's exactly the thing I was looking for! Great, George, thanks!

Thank you all! Your input really helps to further my story :)

Status
Not open for further replies.