Status
Not open for further replies.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I am looking to start reading some current and popular ya fiction. Not that I can really do that while our libraries are still on strike here, but this would be a list that I am sure we could all use to keep current. I'm only 26, but I'm sure I am quite out of the loop when it comes to teenagers.Who are the ya authors of today?
Please share book titles that you know are popular now, or even titles of past that have never lost that 'spark.' Thanks!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
John Green's novels: Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines.

Anything by Sarah Dessen.

Ned Vizzini's: Be More Chill, Teen Angst...Nah, It's Kind of a Funny Story.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

I think most people who read any YA have read at least some of those.

roskoebaby

This Lullabye-Sarah Dessen and Looking for Alaska get my vote. Twilight is good too if you don't want as much edge.

Reaction score
Is it American? 'Cause I much prefer YA set in Britain. It's more relevant to me and my imagined readers.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
oh I hate Twilight :tongue

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Feed, forgot the author

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Well.

I always assumed it was American.

But it never says. The setting is very unimportant.

ETA: This was for Scarlet.

Reaction score
Hmm. Well.

Not to me it isn't. There's so much in American novels that doesn't apply over here. An entirely different way of life. I lost track of the amount of American YA I read myself as a teenager containing phrases that made me think, "What the shit are they talking about?"

Even things like kids driving to school...it just doesn't happen over here (see Twilight; it really bugged me when the MC temporarily whined over her dad buying her a vehicle and I thought, ungrateful swine. Count yourself lucky to have a motor at all).

YA books have to involve the reader, make them feel as if the author has some idea what life is like for them and if it's set in a place where the typical way of life is different to that of the reader you run the risk of losing them (unless it's something like fantasy where you're deliberately setting the book in another world).

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Well.

All those ones you listed? Yeah, they're American. Perks takes place in like a generic town and Alaska takes place in I want to say like Georgia? Forget where Sarah Dessen's books take place but they DO mention people driving on the proper side of the road so it must be America

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Not to me it isn't.

Didn't mean in general. I meant in Perks.

It's intentionally quite vague. Many of the characters aren't named, and he tells us the ones that are named are probably given fake ones. I'm sure Mr. Chbosky wanted the book to be able to take place anywhere.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't mean in general. I meant in Perks.

It's intentionally quite vague. Many of the characters aren't named, and he tells us the ones that are named are probably given fake ones. I'm sure Mr. Chbosky wanted the book to be able to take place anywhere.

Yeah the whole premise is that the kid is writing to this anonymous person and changing names and stuff so the person doesn't figure out who or where or anything.

But uh, probably it serves a higher purpose.

His brother goes to "Penn State" which he says might not be the real college, for football, which is true, and the college is within driving distance. Probably not UK.

Reaction score
I've heard of Perks but never seen it on the shelves here. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah the whole premise is that the kid is writing to this anonymous person and changing names and stuff so the person doesn't figure out who or where or anything.

But uh, probably it serves a higher purpose.

His brother goes to "Penn State" which he says might not be the real college, for football, which is true, and the college is within driving distance. Probably not UK.

Good call. Forgot that bit. And he talks about going North to see his family, right?

I always assumed he lived in my hometown. Which I think was the point.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I think you're supposed to feel that way.

Anyway SP they use tons of cheesy britishisms so you're fine :tongue that's why it sells so well...American teenage girls are suckers for cheesy britishisms.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
TONS of Earl Grey

Like, PUKAGE.

And then they go CHEERIO! WOT WOT!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Wait wait wait guys.

INDIGO'S STAR is British.

SP, tell me you've read Indigo's Star. PLEASE.

So it's technically MG but it's the best book I've ever read.

It's SO British. The Dad says, "Off you pop."

Reaction score
I haven't as I like to read books in sequence. I have the first in the series sitting on a shelf in my home. Does that get me off the hook?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
no this hook is a big one

Like it doubles as a spit for roasting

yummmm I love roasted peaches

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Especially since you recognized the title and whatnot.

Saffy's Angel is quite good as well, but not as good as Indigo. And Permanent Rose is amazing. Caddy Ever After is kind of a letdown.

I like to read them in sequence too...didn't realize Indigo was part of a series when I picked it up, and by the time I figured it out I was WAY too hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.