If you ever see these rattlesnakes...

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Don't hire them. They can't act at ALL!

I finally got the kid's camera fixed, which coincided with a visit from my buddy and poisonous critter enthusiast, Bill. My son, Devin, has been planning a movie for about a year now...it’s slowly coming together. He needs some scenes that are a bit beyond the ability of a fourteen year old with a handicam; a bouncing betty (for those not familiar, this is a land mine that jumps into the air and explodes), blowing up an ATV quad, and a snakebite scene.

Currently titled Arizona Heat, it involves two friends who, while riding in the desert get lost overnight on an artillery range, destroy their machines and blame each other for their predicament. When one of the boys is bitten by a sidewinder rattlesnake the differences have to be set aside in order to save the boys life.

SOOoooo...we went snake hunting the other night and found a western diamondback. It was about four feet long and quite nasty when we captured it. Unfortunately, when we started filming the next morning it was only two-foot six and sleepy.

All Devin wanted was 10 seconds of a rattlesnake...rattling, hissing and running away. If you stumbled across such a snake in the wild (as we did the night before) this is just how it will act. But as soon as you set up a couple cameras it won’t do a thing without an agent.

We tried to get the western angry for about an hour and a half. He must have been from California because all he wanted to do was lounge around and say “Hey, careful with the stick, okay dude?” As the morning wore on we had to give it up or risk the snake’s overheating. We didn’t get what we wanted but we thanked the snake and set him loose where he could pick up a meal.

That night we went out again. The first snake we saw was the same one we had fired that morning. He was a decent enough fellow so we exchanged pleasantries and then parted ways. Moments later we found a sidewinder. Bill assured us this was the more aggressive of the rattlers and we weren’t going to be disappointed. What a show he put on when we caught him; hissing, striking, side winding...

snakegoosing.jpg

(Devin is operating one of cameras while Bill gives acting lessons to one of the snakes.)

snakeaudition.jpg

But come morning he wouldn’t move. Think of a plastic toy. We picked him up, shook him some, dropped him a little way, pushed, prodded, poked and shouted insults but he just sat there in his coil. “Go away and let me sleep, will ya?”

Neither of these snakes could find their motivation. That tongue flicking image above is misleading. He just sat there with his tongue hanging out. I think I heard a plplplplplplpltttt once. It certainly wasn’t a hiss. Maybe they heard they weren’t getting paid?

We did get a fair shot of the sidewinder with his rattle going and he slowly side-winded away once. Devin says he thinks he can speed it up and use it. He was disappointed that after two or three hours of rolling on two cameras (Bill used his too) that he couldn’t get the few simple seconds of a snake acting like a snake. Welcome to show biz.

All in all it was interesting. Only my wife got bit. No, not by a rattler. We found four rattlesnakes but what bit her was likely a racer ( a nonpoisonous long thin black snake with a pinkish belly). She didn't seem to mind. My wife's been bit before. She'll be bit again. She likes to play with snakes, mice, spiders, scorpions (we found about 2 dozen scorpions) but show her a cave cricket and she'll head for the high country.

Some of you wonder why I am the way I am? Well, I am just a product of my environment.

So, what did you do this weekend?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, drank beer and watched football.

:Shrug:

More good writing from you, Del. You better watch out or someone might start buying some of these.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
That's awesome!

It's too cool that you didn't kill them.

I mourned for a snake I found the other day, a beautiful King snake that had been murdered on the road. He wasn't even on the road, but just entering it, so someone obviously killed him on purpose.

Ignorance kills me.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
No, we wouldn't kill them. We were in their back yard and they have every right to be there. In fact, we tried to explain to to a couple of young rattlers that they really shouldn't sit in the road. But you know kids. In one earless and out the other.

I had been worried about the snake filming. There are two options for a rattlesnake bite. Die or pay the $20,000 for the anti-venom. But it went okay. Devin is getting pretty good at his effects and with a little help from his computer he should be able to make it look realistically threatening.

Now we get to build a replica of the quad, blow it up and then drop it from about 30 feet between the camera and one of the boys. It should be a great shot...but, you know, I don't think I know any other dads that blow up machinery for their kids. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing this father thing the way it was intended.

I'm going to be in trouble soon though. He thinks he is going to get to blow up a Corvette and a bridge in his next film. It could happen. I've heard you can buy the Brooklyn Bridge for a few hundred, and there is always that $50 Corvette sitting in that old ladies garage.

*sigh* Most kids just go to school and want to be a policeman or a doctor.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I'm happy to hear you are out and about and doing things with your kids. All too often parents just don't do that. People looked at us like we were off our rocker when we said we were going to pedal our bikes around North America with our kids - but it was a great experience for all four of us!

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like a pretty good film to me. Your son is one lucky kid.

Perhaps you can find some stock footage of a bridge collapse to use. Or a small-scale model. Guys at hobby shops can be a huge help, especially with the airbrushing techniques.

Even if you didn't get the footage you wanted, you got a great shot of that rattler.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
You should have checked with the 'Snakes on a Plane' people beforehand - they went through the same heartache: snake looks good but refuses to act snakerly. That's why they settled on the unrealistic CGI stuff.

And in a few years, they'll be complaining that no-one wants to hire them. Tsk.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Some of you wonder why I am the way I am? Well, I am just a product of my environment.

So, what did you do this weekend?

Sounds pretty wild there, but I think I have you beat- I hosted a slumber party for a bunch of 12 yr old girls.
Funny tho, they reacted much like the rattler..wild and rambunctious by night and docile come morning (clean-up) time.

Seriously--pretty awesome experience there, thanks for sharing.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Does rattlesnake anti-venom really cost $20,000?

Hoyeah.

Or you can tourniquet your arm and cut your vein and suck it out. But that doesn't work really well, and then you have a cut vein and venom in your damn mouth.

:)

Snakes, I'm okay with. Spiders? Yeah. Scorpions? I used to have to shake them outta my shoes, before I'd put them on (weird places). But the one thing I cannot handle....is a Centipede. God help me, I am out of the room so fast.

(Millipedes are adorable. Centipedes scare the living crap out of me.)

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Snakes, I'm okay with. Spiders? Yeah. Scorpions? I used to have to shake them outta my shoes, before I'd put them on (weird places). But the one thing I cannot handle....is a Centipede. God help me, I am out of the room so fast.

(Millipedes are adorable. Centipedes scare the living crap out of me.)

I like snakes. They're cool. I have no problem with rodents, though I'd rather they'd stay out of my house--but the cat generally takes care of that. I'm somewhat okay with spiders; I don't love them but I won't go out of my way to kill one.

I hate anything else with more than four legs. Bugs are where I go all girly, and don't get a bee or wasp near me or I completely freak.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
centipede_main.jpg

WE had them all over St. Croix, when I lived there. Terrified. Absolutely terrified. Posting that picture icked me out.

*crawls away*

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
How many air holes per dozen? I'm...um...trying to figure out how big a gift box to get you. :D