Welcome to the Northstar Sub Station!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Welcome to the Northstar Sub Station… what’s your destination?

With the growth and camaraderie we’ve experienced from such great threads as the Coffeehouse of Pain and the Sunshine Café, I felt that there was a need for another thread that binds them all together: A submission thread. Without throwing caution to the wind we’d never have a chance to share our successes and setbacks.

So here at the Northstar Sub Station, you can tell all where you’ve subbed your work, regardless if it’s short or long fiction, lit or genre, poetry or screenplays, tells us where you’re trying to make your claim in the world of the written word. By punching your ticket and climbing aboard you can help others follow the current trends or where the work is the hottest.

What are you waiting for - the drinks are free, and the seats are plenty!

To start it off, I’ve got several short stories subbed out at Dark Discoveries, Red By Dawn, and Horror Library. Also, I’ve got a novel subbed out to Roc, in hopes of listing my work with their growing collection of Dark Urban Fantasies. That’s it for now.

Pike

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Okay! I've queried (all for novels):

Kathryn Green Literary Agency
Imprint Agency
Spiridon Literary Agency
Writers House
The Knight Agency
JET Literary Associates
Curtis Brown
Avenue A Literary
TriadaUS Literary Agency
Levine Greenburg Literary Agency
Donald Maas Literary Agency
Pippin Properties
Firebrand Literary Agency
Lowenstein-Yost Associates
Harvey Klinger
Bradford Literary Agency
Larsen Pomada Literary Agency
Connor Literary Agency
Folio Literary Agency
Janklow and Nesbit Associates
Andrea Hurst and Associates Literary Management
Waxman Literary Agency
Scribe Agency
Anderson Literary Management
PMA Literary Agency
Browne and Miller Literary Associates
Andrea Brown Literary Agency
Trident Media Group
InkWell Mangement
Serendipity Literary Agency
The Spieler Agency
Artists & Artisans
Faye Bender Literary Agency
Full Circle Literary
Denise Shannon Literary Agency
Brick House Literary Agents
The Gersh Agency
Liza Dawson Associates
Scovil Chichak Galen Literary Agency
John Hawkins and Associates

Happy to answer any questions about my experience with any of them. :)

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jee-sus, Shady. I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! Well, that's what I'm talking about. I think you've earned about a whooping pile of frequent traveler's miles. Free drinks for Shady for life.

Haggis... tell me you've got something going on. Your work should be plastered all over the damned periodicals, seriously. Stop downing those chilidogs with Calalilly and shame me with your prose. (How's that for a guilt trip?)

Pike

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I have on submission is a humor piece to The New Yorker's "Shouts & Murmurs" page.

I submitted in August of 2005.

I don't think they liked it. :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Jee-sus, Shady. I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! Well, that's what I'm talking about. I think you've earned about a whooping pile of frequent traveler's miles. Free drinks for Shady for life.

Haggis... tell me you've got something going on. Your work should be plastered all over the damned periodicals, seriously. Stop downing those chilidogs with Calalilly and shame me with your prose. (How's that for a guilt trip?)

Pike

Okay. I've got one subbed. The good news is that I think I'm finally out of a six-month funk. I've been writing again for the past couple of weeks. I finished a collaberation short yesterday, and hope to finish one of my own this week. A little editing and I can get two more out the door.

Oh. By the way. You've never lived if you haven't shared a Ted's hot dog with Calalilly. :D

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I know I know I know, it's a lot. But I'm querying three manuscripts that are all wildly different, so they get different agencies.

About half of these are still out, a third have been rejected, and whatever that remaining fraction is got requests for partials/fulls.

Which reminds me, I haven't checked my email yet...

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey Wil, I think it's about time they at least gave you a yay or a nay. New Yorker or not, they should acknowledge your contribution. Take a window seat and I'll have the steward bring you a glass of our house wine. It should help ease the trip.

Hey Haggis, gald to see you back on board. The Funk can be a dark, dangerous place, full of hours spent in front of a TV watching Jerry Springer or the View. Don't let it take you.

Pike

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I have my first piece ever out to Ploughshares, AGNI and Mid-American Review. I received a big ole fat rejection from MO Review (actually it was nice and personal). I'm now finishing up a second short story and working my way back to completing my novel. I loooove short stories and am so distraced by them, but I really need to complete the novel I started.

Fingers crossed...

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I have my first request ever out on full to my dream agent! I'm so nervous. The waiting is horrible...I have hope.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I have my first request ever out on full to my dream agent! I'm so nervous. The waiting is horrible...I have hope.

I do, too. Actually, I've got two different mss with my two dream agents...and they've both had it for two months. Waiting waiting waiting....

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I do, too. Actually, I've got two different mss with my two dream agents...and they've both had it for two months. Waiting waiting waiting....

Good luck!!! I've only just begun the waiting...I don't know what I'll do with myself for two or more months - I keep telling myself, concentrate on that WIP...

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
The time will actually go MUCH faster than you think, I promise.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Looks like there's a couple of writers ready to get off the train already. Good luck with those requests!

Wendy - I uncrossed my fingers long enough to say "HI". Yeah, I love shorts as well. Seing a novel through takes such commitment, something I lack most days, but pumping out a short brings me quicker gratification. They're a blast.

Well, back to checking tickets.

Pike

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
OK, now I've chosen a seat well away from the gentleman who talks to himself and then answers himself by barking, my subs are:

Red Planet Pictures comp - first 10 of two screenplays
First Glance screenplay comp - one full, one short
British Short Screenplay comp - one short

Oh, dear, that's pititful. Must do better.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't mind him, he's been smoking his rejection slips. Anyways, don't sell the subs short. I've only written a couple of shorts in the last few months. I should be kicking into high gear or toss out my ticket. Come to think of it, what the hell am I doing here?

Pike

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, I'm feeling like a slacker. I have a whopping five shorts on submission, one partial being read by an agent, and one full that is due to be rejected sometime in October.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I have a short out to Ploughshares, Orchid, and Gettysburg.

I'm also working on a short to submit to Glimmer Train and on three novel-length WIPs.

WendyNYC--let me know if you hear from Ploughshares! Good luck!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Soccer Mom a slacker? Perish the thought. You wouldn't be on this bullet train if that were true.

Welcome aboard, qdsb (just try saying that three times fast. I did and it hurt!). It feels so good to get your work out there, regardless of the anxiety revolving around acceptances. Good luck to you. I hope your trip is long and fruitful.

Pike

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom a slacker? Perish the thought. You wouldn't be on this bullet train if that were true.

Welcome aboard, qdsb (just try saying that three times fast. I did and it hurt!). It feels so good to get your work out there, regardless of the anxiety revolving around acceptances. Good luck to you. I hope your trip is long and fruitful.

Pike

Thanks, Pike! It really does feel good to send work out. And I'm hoping responses, good and bad, fuel my progress. :)

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Have I mentioned I hate waiting? ... no word, not that I expected any, it hasn't even been a week yet.

My mother says impatience is not one of my better qualities.

*pulls out guitar and starts to play* Might as well entertain everyone while we're all here waiting.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Waiting here too.

In honor of Haggis, beer and Ted's hot dogs for everyone out on the deck. Nienna, we'll maker sure Haggis doesn't eat (and drink) everything while you're entertaining us.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Nienna, we'll maker sure Haggis doesn't eat (and drink) everything while you're entertaining us.

Thank you :D

Maybe you can play some Petty and we'll sing along.

"The waiting is the hardest part." Yep, all of us are feeling the burn. Thanks to Callalily for supplying the liquid refreshment. Hey Nienna, know any Zepplin?

Pike

Love Petty and Zepplin, can't play either. *puts down guitar and pops in a CD* But I've got them on tape!

Now, time to get me some food. :tongue