Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I went to Chicago’s Craigslist looking at jobs and saw this post for comedy writer. I was curious even though I never wrote humor and I'm not that funny, so I sent an email saying I was interested and if he was still looking for writers to contact me with additional information.

The guy responded, “I need a small team of diverse writers to provide a fresh stream sarcastic and humorous content. I will pay writers per agreed submission or if you choose receive a commission each time your content is used. Ok... here is an opportunity to see what you can do.” And then he goes into a scenario about someone wrongly fired from their job… "Good Luck."

I’d like to try it but it's weird he never stated a company, money or if it is going to be published. Should I even bother?

Signed a very confused, ToT

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Hell, I'm stupid, so I dunno.

What would it hurt to try out?

If they put you to work, then ask for money up front. Maybe it's a shot into a 'Second City' sorta deal. Maybe it's a scam.

Play them, damn it, you know how. Get advice here on your moves.

Kick some ass.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Start with the basics, you know this. 1) the writing is easy. He's given you the set up.
2) Where is this based.
3) What is it for --you can ask these as a means of knowing who the audience will be...urban, suburban, college age, elderly? Are we playing in Pennsylvania or Florida or Texas --it affects word choice, situational descriptions and what people might find as truely funny.

Lay off humor is tricky, so I'd go with the absurd as a means of finding the funny in what is a emotional scene.

Gene, we fired you two year ago...Gene, we're replacing you as we're downsizing. Puts down a gold fish in a bottle. He thinks out of the box.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Chicago’s Craigslist looking at jobs and saw this post for comedy writer. I was curious even though I never wrote humor and I'm not that funny, so I sent an email saying I was interested and if he was still looking for writers to contact me with additional information.

The guy responded, “I need a small team of diverse writers to provide a fresh stream sarcastic and humorous content. I will pay writers per agreed submission or if you choose receive a commission each time your content is used. Ok... here is an opportunity to see what you can do.” And then he goes into a scenario about someone wrongly fired from their job… "Good Luck."

I’d like to try it but it's weird he never stated a company, money or if it is going to be published. Should I even bother?

Signed a very confused, ToT
Yeah, I'd think that the first thing would be that they'd identify themselves and establish their bona-fides. Lots of BS on craigslist, so for all you know it could be a guy with a humor-writing job trolling for free material.

Find out the exact terms of payment etc. (paypal, check, money transfer, if they need your SSN, if they're gonna file a 1099 etc.) and what is expected from each party.

Also like has been said - what the target audience is etc. (but if they had identified themselves better ala showing their site or content services etc, you'd be better able to get a grip on what they want...)

Sounds like some internet content writing deal, so the best thing would be to find out as much as you can about them since it's so easy for an entity like that to "disappear" come payment time.

Good luck.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ask more questions along the lines of the advice given in these posts.

As far as your inexperience in writing humor, maybe you haven't tried yet--humor has many faces.

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
What would it hurt to try out?

If they put you to work, then ask for money up front. Maybe it's a shot into a 'Second City' sorta deal. Maybe it's a scam.

Kick some ass.
That’s how I felt at first, Joe, “What can it hurt?” I’ve never written comedy and thought it would be fun and interesting, except if I write this and send it to him, how am I guaranteed I’ll get the money, how do I know he won’t publish somewhere under his name. I do love your enthusiasm and support. :D

2) Where is this based.
3) What is it for --you can ask these as a means of knowing who the audience will be...urban, suburban, college age, elderly? Are we playing in Pennsylvania or Florida or Texas --it affects word choice, situational descriptions and what people might find as truely funny.

Gene, we fired you two year ago...Gene, we're replacing you as we're downsizing. Puts down a gold fish in a bottle. He thinks out of the box.
I agree. In order to write this scenario, I would need to know audience (company, magazine). Thanks for the tips, Sherry.

Yeah. Good luck on finding those type of personalities here. :rolleyes:
I’m looking for a comedic writer saturated with sarcasm, are you available for a piece? ;)

Yeah, I'd think that the first thing would be that they'd identify themselves and establish their bona-fides. Lots of BS on craigslist, so for all you know it could be a guy with a humor-writing job trolling for free material.

Find out the exact terms of payment etc. (paypal, check, money transfer, if they need your SSN, if they're gonna file a 1099 etc.) and what is expected from each party. Good luck.
I’ll definitely send an email asking for additional information (thanks for the checklist). I heard there is a lot of BS on craigslist, but there are also many legit companies and figured if there is a writing job that I can take without experience why not start there. :Shrug:

As far as your inexperience in writing humor, maybe you haven't tried yet--humor has many faces.
You're right, I haven't tried, and it doesn’t hurt to try a different genre.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Come on ToT.. Sarcasm is our specialty... if it checks out.. be yourself and your humor
will shine ...

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Hey Train, come over to the Clinic, We offer pain free assistance in getting that mental funny train of thought into shape.
Will do. I have to put my funny hat on first.

Come on ToT.. Sarcasm is our specialty... if it checks out.. be yourself and your humor
will shine ...
Sarcasm is my specialty. I sent the guy an email with additional questions. We will see.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who's a Bears fan has to have a sense of humor.

:flees thread:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Train, here's how to write sarcasm, particularly at this time of year and if your target audience is anyone in Arizona.

Go Cardinals!!!

See? It's easy.

(Seriously, check out ANYTHING before you submit a word of your own writing. And also seriously, do the homework that Prof. Tex has assigned -- it's great practice and you'll be improving and getting confidence in no time.)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I found a website all about comedic members.

Um...I'd be banned if I post the link. :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
...yeah right...as if you expect any of the wet blankets that hang on these boards to be either sarcastic OR funny.

You'll have better luck digging up funny stuff on a body farm.

David Conner

Wake up, my dear. We're home!
Registered
Reaction score
I found a website all about comedic members.

And all this time I've been so naive when people spoke of "funny bones."

*Then Jaycinth's shovel strikes something solid, deep in the damp, mouldering earth*

Last edited:

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
(Seriously, check out ANYTHING before you submit a word of your own writing. And also seriously, do the homework that Prof. Tex has assigned -- it's great practice and you'll be improving and getting confidence in no time.)
Where do I get the homework? Is there an assignment posting like Freelance where we write about a topic? For the love of God, someone show me the way.

And for the rest of you, quit trying to hijack my thread. Beat it.
36_6_8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.