Am I fired?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Something weird just happened.

So I used to work full time for an internet travel company doing writing stuff. I quit, they freaked out, and I negotiated with them to do just their marketing writing for a higher salary, part time. The major thing this consists of is me writing entertaining newsletters for our clients. They even sent me to Europe to do this better.

So then they hire a new girl, who is competent but not great, to do all the more mundane writing stuff I no longer do. (It's not so critical that this stuff be wonderfully written, mainly it's informational.) I spent two weeks plus training her; she's now been working there for maybe a month and a half.

Today I get an email from her saying that my company is sending her to Europe NEXT MONTH and that she's going to be writing newsletters, so could I send her some of mine as an example?

Soooo... is this some weird way of telling me I'm fired?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Think you're asking the wrong people. Call your employer.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very odd. If she hadn't asked for samples I'd say that your boss was wimpy and was leaving it up to her to fire you. It's more of a possiblity that you've been somewhat demoted. Since you may or may not be giving all the facts, I couldn't tell you.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Basically I am just, once again, frustrated by the lack of communication at my job. Nobody tells anyone else anything and this is how people find stuff out. Even if they wanted to let me go (decided they could replace me with this other girl for cheaper or whatever), I would be fine with that because I'm bored anyway.

But the weird thing is that to all indications, they were completely in love with me and were willing to fork out large amounts of money to keep me as of about 5 months ago.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
think of it this way. It's better to be fired than on fire.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Basically I am just, once again, frustrated by the lack of communication at my job. Nobody tells anyone else anything and this is how people find stuff out.
Welcome to almost every job ever. :)
But the weird thing is that to all indications, they were completely in love with me and were willing to fork out large amounts of money to keep me as of about 5 months ago.
Again, welcome to almost every job ever and the dog-eat-dog world that is ... your life in writing! :welcome:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Again, welcome to almost every job ever and the dog-eat-dog world that is ... your life in writing! :welcome:

Pssh, they are getting me way cheaper than anyone else would ever work for the same quality. I double their site traffic and have gotten featured on some important blogs. If they want to settle for mediocre, they're welcome to it. :)

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Pssh, they are getting me way cheaper than anyone else would ever work for the same quality. I double their site traffic and have gotten featured on some important blogs. If they want to settle for mediocre, they're welcome to it. :)
No fear then. Pick up the phone and ask what's what.;)

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jo this don't look good but i have a great saying and nobody here better ever steal it..... "Don't fear the No" by d.g.allen ofcourse... You gotta call, let us know.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like they're probably grooming her to take your place but didn't tell you (of course.) I'd say it's only a matter of time.

I say have a little fun and stall on her requests. Maybe ask for confirmation from her/your boss etc. Put him on the spot. :D

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
trump.jpg

You're Fired!

JK! You really should call and find out whats up though. It may be nothing.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well, good news. They are in fact sending her to Europe (a little sooner than I expected but whatever), but she misunderstood what my boss told her about the newsletters and emailed me before he had a chance to discuss stuff with me.

So it looks like I still have a job.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Haha, thanks for the suggestions guys, but I'm not that mean. My "replacement" is a sweet, innocent young girl who hasn't an ounce of guile. :)

Wait, is that what I was like when I started working there? Ahh, how times change.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oops. I called your boss to try to work things out for you...it seems you may be fired after all.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
If they really did freak out when you tried to quit the first time, it would be a very natural action for them to try to cross-train someone (ie 'cover themselves') should you decide to quit again. I deal with that stuff all the time.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps just a little. She's just out of college and all doe-eyed and excited about her first real writing job.

Will you stop describing this chic, you're driving me nuts!!! She's the girl of my dreams......