• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Computing: Microsoft Surface

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Much as we love to bash Microsoft at times, this looks really fargin' cool:

Surface

The vids at the bottom are ads that showcase some of the possibilities. Lots of food for thought for those who are writing near-future stories.

Last edited:

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I have to say, the 'surface' technology is utterly amazing. It reminds me a great deal of how Apple's iPhone technology works, at least to a degree. They operate completely differently on the inside but the effect is similar.

I suspect that we'll start seeing full displays using this sort of tech within a few years, readily available to consumers not too long after that.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Frank, get your feet off the Surface!"
"I'm watchin' the game here."
"Well I need to shop. How am I going to surf the web with your feet on the Surface? And use a coaster for that beer! An image of my mother is not a coaster."

I can see my cats using it to order things. Or worse, when you do put your feet up to watch that movie, the Surface -- sensing the filthy state of your socks -- tells the washing machine to log on to JC Penneys and order more socks and laundry detergent. Then it's gonna sense the snacks I'm setting on the Surface, and IM the refridgerator to lock. Probably even tell my TiVO to shut off, too.