Novels written in first person present tense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a novel written in FPPT? I know there's Cat's Cradle by Margaret Atwood, but anything else? Thanks.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Jane Green's Mr. Maybe. (one of the few chick lit books I actually like--I hear Scarletpeaches howling in pain :D)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Nick Hornby's High Fidelity.

I'm waiting for the shrieking hordes to come here with the shouts of 1st person and/or present tense being the wrong way to write.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the shrieking hordes to come here with the shouts of 1st person and/or present tense being the wrong way to write.

First person present tense?

Okay, I'll start: How many such books (outside of chick lit) have been published by first time authors?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mine, mine, mine!

;)

The House of Sand and Fog.
Fight Club.
and the list goes on...

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Okay, I'll start: How many such books (outside of chick lit) have been published by first time authors?

More than you think. Mine was, and not a chick lit. Patricia Wood's Lottery is, and not a chick lit. Just to name two by AW writers alone.

Next question.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The first example that comes to mind is Paula Danziger. Anything by her is good, and I think she always wrote in first person present tense.

The first published book I could find for her dates from 1974 (The Cat Ate My Gymsuit). Looking at the excerpt on Amazon, the tense seems to wander during the introductory chapter, but by the time the story starts, it's in past tense.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Aside from the Atwood book, I can't think of any immediately. First person, sure, but first person present tense sounds awkward. I walk into a room and I get shot. It really hurts. There's a lot of blood. Ow ow ow ow!!!

I can think of some short stories told in 1stPerson/Present, but that's about it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
First person, sure, but first person present tense sounds awkward. I walk into a room and I get shot. It really hurts. There's a lot of blood. Ow ow ow ow!!!

I don't see how it's different than a 1st or 3rd/past:

I walked into a room and I got shot. It really hurt. There was a lot of blood. Ow ow ow ow!!!!

He walked into a room and he got shot. It really hurt. There was a lot of blood. Ow ow ow ow!!!!

Bad writing is just bad writing -- past or present tense. Good writing transcends all that. Even Stephen King writes present tense.

p.s. I CANNOT believe I got suckered into yet another "1st/present sucks" discussion!

p.s. Seriously, read Patricia's book -- it's a good read. And if you feel a bit kind, read mine, too.

Ciao!

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't see how it's different than a 1st or 3rd/past:

I walked into a room and I got shot. It really hurt. There was a lot of blood. Ow ow ow ow!!!!

He walked into a room and he got shot. It really hurt. There was a lot of blood. Ow ow ow ow!!!!

Bad writing is just bad writing -- past or present tense. Good writing transcends all that.

Well, sure. And like I said, I can think of short stories I've read which had first-person-present working just fine. (And mostly, I don't care. I hate these arguments about methods of writing and whether or not they work. If it's read, it works.)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The first published book I could find for her dates from 1974 (The Cat Ate My Gymsuit). Looking at the excerpt on Amazon, the tense seems to wander during the introductory chapter, but by the time the story starts, it's in past tense.

You're right! I forgot about that one! The sequel, There's A Bat In Bunk Five, is in present, though, and so is This Place Has No Atmosphere, and The Pistaccio Perscription, my favorite.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Many recent YA novels are written in 1st / present -- so many that I'm actually kinda surprised when I pluck a contemporary YA title off the "new fiction" shelf at the bookstore and it's not in 1st / present.

Off the top of my head:

Fat Kid Rules The World - K.L. Going
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Looking For Alaska - John Green
I Am The Messenger - Markus Zusak

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A couple of Nick Horby's novels are in first/present (seun already mentioned High Fidelity).

Kazuo Ishiguro's Booker finalist, Never Let Me Go, is also in 1st/present (IIRC).

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Nick Hornby does it - and does it well.
I read BackStabber - first person/present.

He had great opening lines to his chapters too.

"I sing praises to my water pressure." :D

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
First person present tense?

Sara Gruen's Riding Lessons. Women's fiction, but not chick lit.

Her current NYT best-seller, Water for Elephants, is also in first-person present tense, and it's mainstream fiction.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Another good YA example is Bloom by Elizabeth Scott.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
Bret Easton Ellis is a master at first-person present tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.