PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Squirming. Also known as "promotion."

I hate promotion.

Hate, hate, hate. I mean, the actual promotion stuff itself -- interviews, reviews, mentions -- I really dig. I enjoy it enormously.

But when it comes to something like God in the Machine (not promoting tonight, it's just where this post came from), it's still young enough and small enough that it would behoove my future success for me to occasionally get in touch with blogs I like, or think are a good idea, and see if they're interested in poking around my series.

Man-o-man. You want to see me squirm, watch me type the e-mail to the people. The e-mails almost sound nothing like me. It's all part of this part of the business, but I loathe sending those e-mails to people. It seems rude and self-centered and...not me.

Mostly, I haven't done very much of it. Mostly, because I've been busy. The series has been popping up in a number of places, different places on a daily basis. The heartening thing is, most of those places are ones where I don't know the people and don't frequent the site, so they're finding it on its own merits. That makes me happy.

Every time I type one of those e-mails, I think to myself, I think, "Self? you need some hale and hardy energetic other person who has no qualms about e-mailing people and saying I represent the author of an online serial and would you like to interview him about, it or somethin', bub?"

Hmn.

Sorry for the rant. :)

And in order to make it a "thread" since this is a "forum," what part of promotion do you hate? Do you self-promote (whether you have to or not) and do you enjoy it? Are you good at it?

*goes to drink tea and be of good cheer*

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pete, you gotta get a hat. Put it on and be a publicist in it. Shamelessly promote your client's work, because that's your job. Sure, you can use your client's voice, his humor, and whatever else you can find that might serve, but you're not him, not when you're wearing the hat. Pound out those emails.

Then take off the hat and be you again.

Maryn, who puts on various persona as needed as part of daily life

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
That's what I do. :) It's just no fun. I mean, it's a boring baseball cap. S'not even a fedora.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Heya Pete!

I'm with you! Yeah, I know it's important to pimp one's self shamelessly, but it feels so . . . dirty. You said you feel rude and self-centered, and I absolutely agree; I feel the same way when I write or call for a signing, or an event, or a blurb or whatever. It gives you a mad case of Imposter Syndrome, where you feel like you're trying to sell them a bill of goods ha-ha-ha.

As Maryn said, it's all part of the game, so it's gotta be done, and ya gotta step back and view yourself in third person. But yes, it does suck! I sympathize, mon ami.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE promo. hateithateithateithateit. And I completely am with you about the email thing. I sent out a slew of review requests this week and a press release and my eardrums felt like they were punctured after all the self-horn-tooting.

I love talking to people who've read my book and that's about it. The rest of it sucks--a necessary evil--but it sucks.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
You need to get filthy rich and then you can hire me as your publicist and then I can pimp you out. :D
Don't listen to Carrie. You don't need to get rich. Just let me come live in your basement and eat your food. I will promote you to all my friends. You'll have lots of entertainment and good company (me) to keep you afraid of failure.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
You need to get filthy rich and then you can hire me as your publicist and then I can pimp you out. :D

Don't listen to Carrie. You don't need to get rich. Just let me come live in your basement and eat your food. I will promote you to all my friends. You'll have lots of entertainment and good company (me) to keep you afraid of failure.

And every interview I did would end with "...and lastly, I'd like to apologize for that person who got in touch with you. Honestly, I'm working on a restraining order. But thanks anyway!"

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
And every interview I did would end with "...and lastly, I'd like to apologize for that person who got in touch with you. Honestly, I'm working on a restraining order. But thanks anyway!"
Just give me a cookie and I no monster.

cookiemonster2.jpg

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
You got my word. Have I ever lied to you since this afternoon? No. At least I don't think so. Let me check my files and I'll get back with you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.