What did you learn during your baby's first year of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
For an article for iParenting.com.

Do you have any funny stories to tell from your first year as a parent?

What have you learned about being a parent, or life in general, from your baby?

What tips do you offer to expectant parents?

Did you get any good advice from well-meaning family members and friends?

Please share if you have some insight you'd like to offer. I personally know now I was way too hard on my daughter when she was a baby. I expected her to expertly hold and drink from a sippy cup at six months of age. I was raving about it to my husband one night and he said something that stopped me in my tracks. He told me to be grateful that our daughter could see and hear, and was a healthy child. That put me in my place and I never forgot it. I was a lot more lenient with my son!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I learned to function on no sleep at all.

I learned that people who say "It goes so fast!" are either lying through their teeth or don't remember it correctly. (Or am I the only person in the world who thinks it isn't going fast?!)

I learned to love my kids and have fun with them even on days that crawl by SLOWLY.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I learned that shit is not easily removed from walls when finger painted without impunity by the baby.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I had a tough time adjusting that first year, but in time I learned not to be controlling over EVERY LITTLE DETAIL. Well, maybe I'm still learning, but I'm much better.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Oh, it doesn't seem like it's going fast at the time - but it really does. My "baby" is now going to be seven. My other "baby" will be 2 in 3 weeks.

As for what I learned, it's how much I can do on almost no sleep without completely losing my mind. I also learned that things don't have to be "perfect" to be perfect, stains on your clothing don't really matter too much, and not to sweat the small stuff. There's so much to worry about as it is - I learned I can't control everything and that's okay.

Maybe a little cliched, but cliches are there for a reason. :)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I learned that you can survive by eating cheerios off of the floor. Sometimes you have to put the baby in the car and drive around until he's asleep, and then you can finally go to a drive-thru and eat something!!!
I learned that even though maternity leave is over after 8 weeks, the brain needs longer to recover before it can function properly.
I learned that carpet is preferable to hardwood when your baby is learning to crawl and walk.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it doesn't seem like it's going fast at the time - but it really does. My "baby" is now going to be seven. My other "baby" will be 2 in 3 weeks.

As for what I learned, it's how much I can do on almost no sleep without completely losing my mind. I also learned that things don't have to be "perfect" to be perfect, stains on your clothing don't really matter too much, and not to sweat the small stuff. There's so much to worry about as it is - I learned I can't control everything and that's okay.

Maybe a little cliched, but cliches are there for a reason. :)

Yea, if I'd known then what Kindergarten was going to be like, I'd have enjoyed more of the first year. :)

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
That babies when positioned just right on the changing table can fire a volley of excrement a considerable distance.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I don't have children, but I learned from my cousin's early years that kids under 1 year of age can have a pretty powerful set of lungs.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have children, but I learned from my cousin's early years that kids under 1 year of age can have a pretty powerful set of lungs.

I hate to break it to you, but it goes well beyond that first year. And all kinds of different levels.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
That babies when positioned just right on the changing table can fire a volley of excrement a considerable distance.

I see we're not the only ones this happened to :tongue The good ol' projectile poop! Ah, breastfed babies!

I learned that you can never be too careful, especially once they're on the go. I also learned that it's okay to let a baby cry if you need time to "get a grip"; it won't mentally damage the child if they have to lay in their crib and cry--it's better than losing it and taking things out on them (never came to that but it came close in those first few months of shifting hormones).

Most important, nothing in the world can prepare you for the reality of having a baby. Sure, people can tell you this and that while you're pregnant, but until you have that first one, all bets are off! No matter how much reading or advice you receive, you're never prepared for the reality.

The first year does go fast, because before you know it, you have a toddler getting into everything. Both our girls were crawling by seven months and so far the second is on her way to following her sister's footsteps of being an early walker (8 1/2 months for the first).

The most interesting toys are what mommy and daddy are playing with (remotes, computers, etc.) or magazines or books mommy and daddy haven't read yet. Along those lines, the best toys are the cheapest. Kids have such imaginations that they don't need fancy toys and in fact usually prefer the simple ones, at least young kids do.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
10 incontrovertible facts that you have only 9 months to get used to…

1. Although you may have just harnessed cold fusion, solved the problems of poverty and disease and changed the oil in your car while blindfolded, your baby’s post-bottle belch will get all the attention and applause from everyone in the room.

2. Friends and family will greet you with “Where’s the baby?” from now on. Expect that they will also forget your name and birthday.

3. Babies get sick sometimes, but illness invariably strikes when you are 10 minutes into having your hair colored or running the most important meeting of the year at work.

4. Strangers will smile at you and your baby everywhere you go, but only because the baby has just redecorated your hair, shoulder and back.

5. Making plans to go out with your spouse on a date makes babies sick. Cancelling plans to go out with your spouse on a date makes babies all better.

6. No baby ever died from crying. No parent’s libido ever survived listening to their baby crying.

7. You will forget the item you were searching for after you spend 15 minutes opening the maximum security child locks on the cabinet. You will remember the item you were searching for after you spend 15 minutes closing the maximum security child locks on the cabinet.

8. The size of mess created by your baby is directly proportional to the amount of time and trouble you took dressing up.

9. Babies throw up on their most expensive clothes first.

10. People who can’t give you proper directions to get to the end of the block will happily tell you how to raise your baby.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I learned what it was to be suddenly, utterly, helplessly in love with someone. For the first time, I had an inkling of how God feels when he looks at messy, whiny me.

The best advice I always give to new parents: VIDEOTAPE! Pictures aren't enough. Videotape EVERYTHING. All those little noises. All those scrunchy faces. Videotape year after year after year. You'll be SO glad you did.

The best gift you can give your child - love your spouse and keep your spouse #1.

Also, quality time is a myth. The best moments are always the unexpected ones that come as a result of quantity time. At the same time, though, remember t's okay for you to take time to refresh yourself and enjoy your own life. If you're miserable and resentful, you're not doing anyone any good.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I learned that even though you think you will drop dead from lack of sleep, you will not, in fact, die. You only wish you would.

I also learned that your child will not be damaged if you let them sleep in places besides their crib, i.e. the recliner, the floor, the swing, the bouncy chair. Never attempt to move a sleeping baby.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any funny stories to tell from your first year as a parent?

I had my first baby at home, and it was a beautiful experience.

I labored all night and gave birth at 11 am the next day. Everyone was exhausted and fell asleep - everyone but me! I was so excited and happy and proud that I couldn't put my baby down and couldn't go to sleep. I had just started to feel a little hungry when there was a knock at the door.

I opened it to find my husband's best friend. He looked shocked to see me on my feet, holding my new baby. He was even more shocked when I bounced up and down and said, "Look what I did!" :D

He still tells the story with a sense of awe, and I remember it with laughter.

Follow your heart.

When I looked down at my baby boy, I couldn't imagine ever wanting to hit him. I couldn't imagine ignoring him if he was crying. I wanted to keep him close, even when I was sleeping, so that I could monitor him and comfort him easily.

I followed my heart and discovered that it was leading me to something called "attachment parenting". I had never heard the term before. Basically, I do everything with my kids. I use time-out instead of spanking. I NEVER let them "cry it out". I co-sleep. All this works beautifully for my family. I recommend following your own heart, and seeing where it leads you. You may not travel the same path as me, but you will probably find the very best way for your own family.

People are going to give you a lot of advice. There's no harm in nodding and smiling, but there's no reason to think that you have to do whatever people tell you. This is your baby and your family, and you will figure out what's best for them.

The best advice I ever got on the subject was from my mother. She said, "Enjoy them while they're small, because they won't stick around forever."

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
I learned that babies are not fragile. If they were, they never would have survived the birth process.

With our first, as novices, we turned the temperature in the house to ninety degrees so she wouldn't catch a cold everytime we bathed her.

With our fourth, my wife would whip off the kid's diaper when I was in the shower, hand me the squalling little guy, I'd slouse him off and hand him back.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
Here's a tidbit for ya -

When a baby first learns to walk, stick your foot out in front of them to block their way. Every girl I tried this on (I have six kids of my own and LOTS of relatives) simply tried to go around me. The boys, on the other hand, weren't that creative. They just pushed and pushed, trying to get through with their strength. Sometimes they'd finally give up and walk the other way. Sometimes I'd give up first.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I learned that even though you think you will drop dead from lack of sleep, you will not, in fact, die. You only wish you would.

I also learned that your child will not be damaged if you let them sleep in places besides their crib, i.e. the recliner, the floor, the swing, the bouncy chair. Never attempt to move a sleeping baby.

My son spent many nights in his swing TOTALLY SECURED because I couldn't and woulnd't dare try moving him and risk waking him.

He also slept on the floor A LOT.

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
It's okay to sleep with your baby. It's okay to pick your baby up when he/she cries. It's okay to nurse past the first year. It's okay to meet your baby's needs.

Babies don't spoil. :D

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

That becoming a parent can change who you as a person completely. Everyone tells you that it changes your life, but no one ever seems to mention that it changes aspects of your personality.

Every household is different and every baby is different. What works for one family may be disaster for another. Match tactics to the individual child.

Take things one day at a time. I feel like I've been incredibly relaxed with letting my daughter explore her own world in her way, and she seems to be a healthy, adjusted child. I try not to worry if she doesn't meet every milestone at exactly the "right" time. She had a habit of building up skills and doing new things all at once, I guess is how you would describe it. For example, she didn't roll from stomach to back or back to stomach in separate events, she did both the same day in the same sitting. Almost all of things were like this.

I was surprised that I didn't get bombarded with horrid advice from everyone. The only time I got really bad advice was when people would tell me that letting her sleep in the bed with us would ruin bedtime forever. She only wants to be cuddled when she doesn't feel well. Like she's cutting molars now, so she's been in bed with us a bunch, but right now she's asleep in her own bed after playing quietly in her room for awhile.

6. No baby ever died from crying. No parent’s libido ever survived listening to their baby crying.

Amen! Nothing stops an evening of hot action like the sound of your child crying.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
To trust my instincts. I didn't know the first thing about taking care of a newborn and was shocked that they were leaving this small person in my care. But I soon realized that there were some things that just seemed right, on some primitive level, and I learned to trust those instincts, even when they contradicted what the books, websites and well-meaning relatives said.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
He also slept on the floor A LOT.

My son loved sleeping with his upper body propped up on his Boppy nursing pillow. He spent a heck of a lot of time in that thing for about 4 months. I even put it in his crib for awhile because that's how he slept the best. But his favorite place was on the recliner on the Boppy.

Freaked my mom out when I left him there to sleep but I always watched him close. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.