Dog/snake question?

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how a dog would react if it was sniffing the grass and come upon a snake? Run? Bark? What?

sharra

Registered
Reaction score
depends on the dog. some will run like hell & scream all the way home, some will howl, yelp or bark.
None of them will be happy.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
My dog is terrified of snakes. My kids love to pick up a snake, and chase the big scaredy cat around the yard. I think the dog is smarter than the children in this regard. Even little snakes will bite you if you don't hold them correctly.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
This dog is a part feist, mixed breed. Small.

Wonderful answers so far. Just what I was hoping. Thanks.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Actually some dogs are thrilled. Two Labs in my neighborhood stare and poke snakes with their noses on and on. (It's a pretty snake intensive area, with no poisonous ones.)
My pooch, I'm sorry to say, is a snake-killer. It's just mousing to him (another habit he had before I got him) although his killing technique involves a violent head shake that tends to send half a snake flying. (His mouse-killing is different after the initial pounce. Blech.) I was very careful when I had him in the Southwest for a week of camping.

So sure, some dogs will bark, some will back off. But some will play and some will kill.

What would this fictional dog do with a nice big spider walking across the floor toward him? What does he do with a stray cat? A wounded bird? A dog challenging him to fight? Figure out what motivates your imaginary dog (high prey drive, defensive, playful, curious, active) to know what he'd do with this possibly-soon-to-be-tormented snake.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
I expect everyone else who has already commented pretty much covers all the neccessary ground, but two dogs of my acquaintance, one a doberman, the other one a boxer, beeline straight to a snake, grab it in their teeth, and, as Horseshoes mentioned, shake the hell out of it. They shake snakes so hard, in fact, that they fly to pieces. This looks more like a protective action by these dogs than a playful one. No toying on their part. Grab. Shake. Disassemble.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
You're giving really good suggestions. Now my dog is going to have a personality, too. Thanks so much everyone.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a dog who was bitten on the tongue by a copperhead. The fool was barking when the snake struck.

Luckily, the dog was okay and made it to 18 years old, but he spent a week at the vet and cost a bundle.

ETA: he was a medium sized dog, but very feisty and yappy.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
My dog happened upon a snake once and went after it. The snake got away and he seemed rather disappointed. He's a French Bulldog.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
My German shepherd will bark and bark at them until he finally works up the nerve to grab it and give it a shake. :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
My OES/BC mix is a big wimp unless she's behind a window or me. She's only seen one that I know of, but she made this hilarious little rooo! noise of surprise and jumped about three feet straight up, then scrambled backwards all wide-eyed and bushy-furred. Now if she steps on a branch and it moves, she gets embarrassed. :)

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I have a 50# Dalmation/Boxer mix. I always knows when she finds a snake - she hops straight up in the air about 5 feet and goes nose to nose again with it again & again untill I call her off. I think I have heard her bark twice in 4 years and never at the snakes. My choc lab doesn't give them a second glance...but I'm sure she has ADD:)

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Say it ain't so, Auntybug...a Lab who's a bit... bananas? I swear the chocolates are even harder headed than the blacks and yellows. Got to be a reason why Chessies (the biggest blockheads on the planet, in my experience) are all chocolate.

Keyboard Hound, I meant to mention a training process called de-snaking...if'n this snake thing is going to be a significant concern for your dog character.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My beagle would probably go at it. My 70 lb Wheaton/Poodle mix would probably wave her tail and try to make friends--like she does with the neighborhood cats.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Our dogs will growl and bark and keep a good safe distance, but only at the poisonous ones. I think they know the difference. They don't bark at the lizards or the coachwhips. Only the rattlers or copperheads.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
I had a dog who was bitten on the tongue by a copperhead. The fool was barking when the snake struck.

Makes me wish I could convince some people to bark at snakes. :D

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
My female lab will bark then grab the snake and shake it to death. The male lab usually stands behind her egging her on. She is brave though and will attack anything that does not look like it belongs in her yard. The male is her cheerleader letting her do all the dirty work. Gosh, I love them labs.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why yes, I have killed snakes. Thank you.

But I don't bark.

I'm silent but deadly.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Keyboard Hound, I meant to mention a training process called de-snaking...if'n this snake thing is going to be a significant concern for your dog character.

Nope, I don't think it will be. Somebody made the comment that a dog will not run from a snake, but mine does. So I just wanted to make sure that he was a normal little dog.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
When my brother was out hunting with his black lab, the lab came across a viper (UK). It froze and wouldn't respond when my brother called to it. When he approached, the snake sprang at him not the dog. He batted the snake away with his rifle butt so no harm done.

musicalzoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbiepanell.com
I live in the countryside of NC, and have a 160 pound german shepherd. We don't come across them often, but when we do, he'll bark and prance around it and try to keep me away from it.

very protective.

even if its just a garden snake! lol