PDA

View Full Version : please solve:

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 06:09 AM
this sentence contains seven words.

this sentence does not contain seven words.

:cry:

we're not allowed to get out of it by using contractions. Any brilliant philosophers here? I'm only a budding brilliant philosopher.

Siddow
09-20-2007, 06:12 AM
This sentence contains seven words, you moron.

This sentence does not contain seven words, anymore. :)

poetinahat
09-20-2007, 06:12 AM
this sentence contains "seven words".

Little Red Barn
09-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Sentences about Self-Reference and Recurrence google it shows..
Try that... :shrug:

JoNightshade
09-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Wait, you're asking us to do your homework? Whaddaya gonna give me? ;)

poetinahat
09-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Please say it ain't so.

maestrowork
It's a paradox puzzle:

http://perplexus.info/show.php?pid=513&cid=4691

And to make them true:

This sentence contains "seven words."

This sentence does not contain 7 words.

dclary
Sage, that can't be right, because if you're going to do that... what about sent? Or con?

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 06:24 AM
It's PHILOSOPHY class!

THERE IS NO DAMN ANSWER!!!

i love philosophy class but I'll never understand it. I figure it's pretty close to being a writer--being a philosopher. You spend a lot of time thinking about stuff that makes your head hurt, then write it down, then moan about how much it all sucks.

HOLY SHIT I FOUND A LIVE VERSION OF JUDY AND THE DREAM OF HORSES!!! EXCUSE ME WHILE I CEASE TO CARE ABOUT PARADOXES!!

the one on our homework is a LOT harder. I don't even see why it is a paradox.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Jane, read my link... It's a philosophical question about paradoxes, or the lack of. :)

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Anyway, Jo, I don't even do my homework. Why would I expect YOU to?!

Sage
09-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Sage, that can't be right, because if you're going to do that... what about sent? Or con?
A ha! I went over the sentences & looked for other words & didn't see those. I was going to say that the second one probably wasn't right 'cuz even with ten words, it still contains seven.

Then my internet went out, just like it did RIGHT NOW. (post, darn you!)

Sage
09-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Is the second one because "7" is a number, Ray?

benbradley
09-20-2007, 06:32 AM
The sentence below is true.
The sentence above is false.

Ben, author (well, okay, plagiarist) of non-self-referential sentences.

JoNightshade
09-20-2007, 06:35 AM
i love philosophy class but I'll never understand it. I figure it's pretty close to being a writer--being a philosopher. You spend a lot of time thinking about stuff that makes your head hurt, then write it down, then moan about how much it all sucks.

I wanted to be a philosopher for a while when I was a kid. Then I realized probably nobody was going to pay me for doing that. ;)

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Jane, read my link... It's a philosophical question about paradoxes, or the lack of. :)

Your link owns Jo's accusation hardcore :D

That isn't homework, we just addressed it inconclusively in class.

Ownage link.

badducky
09-20-2007, 06:38 AM
The only good writer I ever knew of to get a degree in philosophy was John Scalzi.

Life is just not logical, alas, er... actually Hooray!

My answer would have involved talking about the two words that are presently contained, but not spelled out. "Space" and "period".

No, I didn't need to look that up.

;)

Ziljon
09-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey, Ben. I like your avatar, but mine is more savory.

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 06:39 AM
to be honest I can't even wrap my mind around an existing explanation of the paradox, let alone a satisfying solution/conclusion.

No don't worry I was NEVER considering a degree in philosophy.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Is the second one because "7" is a number, Ray?

:)

badducky
09-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Containment inside does not = spelled out.

Thus, there are two more presences in the first sentence. Spaces between the words, and a period at the end.

I knew a guy who had a degree in philosophy. He uses this to trick women into sleeping with him (and it doesn't work...). He uses it to talk about the book he's going to write (and he never will...). He uses it to get really big tips talking with hipsters at the bar where he is a tender, and a jerk. Anyway, not every philosopher is like that, but too many of them are for me to be comfortable sitting in a classroom full of them.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 06:52 AM
This is not the title of this post. This is not the first sentence. It is not the second sentence. This sentence does not begin with a 't.' This sentence does not end with a letter. This is not the last sentence. This is not the next sentence. This is not the previous sentence.

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 06:55 AM
this is not me making any connections between neurons in my heeeeeaaddddd

(also me not sleeping with a cheesy philosophical bastard)

kristie911
09-20-2007, 06:56 AM
*brain explodes and oozes out ear*

I don't come to AW to do HOMEWORK!

TrainofThought
09-20-2007, 06:58 AM
(also me not sleeping with a cheesy philosophical bastardprofessor)Don't rule this out... I mean when you're old enough to accept responsibility for your poor grades. :D

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Don't rule this out... I mean when you're old enough to accept responsibility for your poor grades. :D

Tcha, I get pristine grades. I'm a frickin genius. Everybody watch out! Frickin genius in your midst!!

Only kristie's braindead now :( I'm not a surgical genius...

brokenfingers
09-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Now you know how guys feel when asked the dreaded question: Do these jeans make me look fat?

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
my jeans could never make me look fat.

Problem solved, 1/3,000,000,000

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 07:09 AM
*brain explodes and oozes out ear*

This is your brain. O
This is your brain doing AW homework. X@$XXX*@

Any question?

TrainofThought
09-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Tcha, I get pristine grades. I'm a frickin genius. Everybody watch out! Frickin genius in your midst!!:Thumbs: Keep up the good work.

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Yeah, is that a paradox?

Danger Jane
09-20-2007, 07:12 AM
:Thumbs: Keep up the good work.

well kinda pristine

badducky
09-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Q-"Do these jeans make me look fat?"

A-"No. Your @@@ makes you look fat. The jeans make you look fat in jeans."

JoeEkaitis
09-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Each sentence refers to the other.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Q-"Do these jeans make me look fat?"

A-"No. Your @@@ makes you look fat. The jeans make you look fat in jeans."

You're not married, right? I didn't think so.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 07:53 AM

Except the punctuation is wrong.

This sentence contains seven words:

^-this sentence does not contain seven words.

badducky
09-20-2007, 07:56 AM
In reality, my female family members long ago stopped asking me the "how do I look"-type questions, because they realized that I always always always said exactly what doesn't get me smacked upside the head.

They are all 21 years old. They all weigh exactly 98 pounds. They look fantastic.

I may be dishonest, but at least I'm honest about it.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 08:04 AM
In reality, my female family members ... are all 21 years old. They all weigh exactly 98 pounds.

Very... interesting.... reality. /cue Stepford Wives music... /

Gehanna
09-20-2007, 04:52 PM
This will be the most egotistical thing I've written in a while. Mind you, I am not into egotism because egotists strum my vagus nerve. Hence, I am about to make myself sick. Perhaps I should take some Phenergan. Here it goes..

"As a multidimensional thinker, I question the significance of giving thought to this issue in the first place."

In order to get the full effect of the degree of egotism found within the statement above, mindful perception utilizing a condescending tone mixed with sarcasm is recommended.

Multidimensional thinker... *grin* I like that better than being called an idiot! :tongue

Gehanna

NeuroFizz
09-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Philosophical paradoxes don’t always allow for a resolution, as do contradictions (paradoxes may utilize contradictions, though). I think the stated phrases are examples of the well-known Liar Paradox, where a statement can’t be viewed as true or false. If it is false, it must be true, and if it is true, it must be false, so the true-false absolute can’t be resolved. It’s an extension of logic that itself is a paradox.

robeiae
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Right.

Punctuation doesn't matter. It's the implied reference that does.

On a page with just two sentences, the only possible non-selfreferential object is the other sentence, thus both can be taken to be true and non-selfreferential. It's not really a paradox, just a frame-of-reference thing.

There really aren't any paradoxes in language...except "paradox."

NeuroFizz
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Actually, I'm thinking about using a very subtle modification of a liar's paradox (if you really stretch it) in a WIP. A cheating character makes the following statement to his steady woman: "I may be a lot of things, but I'm not a cheater."

Of course, he's clever enough to realize that "a lot of things" can include being a liar, so he is not held to the last phrase of the statement.

robeiae
09-20-2007, 05:47 PM
"I may not be a lot of things, but I am faithful."

Gehanna
09-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Punctuation doesn't matter. It's the implied reference that does.

!

Sincerely,
Gehanna.

maestrowork
09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Reminded me of the scene in Labyrinth -- the liar paradox at the two doors. It's an age-old trick question.

I still think without the proper punctuation it fools the brain into the self-referential logic. "This" is the culprit, combined with the order of the sentences on the page. There is implied logic in language: for example, "that" should have been used instead of "this."

Imagine without using punctuation, the previous paragraph would be written as follows, and the meaning would have been muddled (that's the reason why we use punctuation):

I still think without the proper punctuation it fools the brain into the self-referential logic. This is the culprit, combined with the order of the sentences on the page. There is implied logic in language: for example, that should have been used instead of this.

The use of "this" muddles the meaning of the sentences in that particular order -- because that is how language is designed. However, if both sentences were on the same line, the effect would have been improved.

badducky
09-20-2007, 08:49 PM
We've talked in depth about that before, Maestrowork

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33408&highlight=labyrinth+badducky+door

robeiae
09-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Wait a minute...they were PUPPETS!?!

jennifer75
09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
This sentence contains seven words, you moron.

This sentence does not contain seven words, anymore. :)

FANTASTIC!